maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30095)

ukki 2009-07-05 18:21

Knots 2
 
Tired of transcoding and copying music and videos to your tablet just to view them at bed? Tired of streaming solutions that don't let you resume where you left off? Here's where Knots 2 comes in. It acts like a normal media player, but everything is streamed from your desktop computer. Videos are transcoded on-the-fly to play on your tablet still allowing you to seek and stop/resume if the media is seekable.

Install instructions are here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots2

Mandatory screenshots:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots2#Screenshots

Report bugs here:
http://github.com/solmis/knots/issues

Required info for bug reports: operating system and version, way to reproduce the issue and if it's playback related, VLC version, transcoding profile and file info (or small sample).

Most of the info in this thread is outdated so you may want to skip to last pages for more recent info.

jalladin 2009-07-05 20:19

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
so in your opinion could this be a stand alone media player with perks or just something to help bridge the gap between you and whats already on your computer... sorry i tried looking up your site and couldn't find it ( not real familiar with what IRC is or does ). it look excellent from the screen shot very nice job, i wouldn't mind helping you in what ever way i can once i get my n810 (anxiously waiting for it in the mail).

ukki 2009-07-05 21:07

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
I can answer here too of course. It's meant for playing what is on your computer on your tablet. VLC handles all the transcoding and streaming so you can access all your music and videos without transferring them to the tablet first, no matter what format they are in. If VLC can play them, your tablet can play them.

elimoon8 2009-07-05 22:32

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
This seems like an awesome solution (in addition to Orb, etc.) but with seeking! :D

When I follow the instructions here, I have two questions:
1) "Windows users need to run install\setup_windows.cmd to install the rest of the needed dependencies first."

I'm following the directions for Windows, since I'm installing in Windows Vista 32-bit. When I get to this step, I run setup_windows.cmd, but it opens and closes so fast I have no chance to choose any options: "When asked, please try to choose the latest version that has the word mswin32 after it and answer yes if it asks to install dependencies."

After that, I just clicked on knots.rb and hoped it worked. How do I know if it actually started up or not?

2) "Just point your browser to http://localhost:1978 and add your media under settings."

What do I use for localhost? Is it the internal or external IP address (I've seen the notation before, but I never needed it, so I never found out what it meant)? Do I have to forward any ports in my router?

Thanks again! I'm sorry to rehash anything that was previously discussed in the other thread!

I'd say that other than the questions above, things have worked out nicely on the n810 side. The client opens and asks for the server address. I just don't know what to put there :p (answering question 2 should help me out, though)

ishida336 2009-07-06 01:27

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
Localhost is generally your computer's address, to ITSELF. 127.0.0.1, If I remember correctly. If you're only setting up on the PC side, localhost suffices for that purpose because it points your browser to your computer.

For the server address, I guess that would depend on whether you are using inside or outside of your own network. Inside, the internal address should work fine. If you want ot use it elsewhere, you should use the external IP address.



Keep in mind, I haven't done anything with this program, I'm just applying the little knowledge I have from screwing around in web design.

sachin007 2009-07-06 01:45

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by elimoon8 (Post 302186)
This seems like an awesome solution (in addition to Orb, etc.) but with seeking! :D

When I follow the instructions here, I have two questions:
1) "Windows users need to run install\setup_windows.cmd to install the rest of the needed dependencies first."

I'm following the directions for Windows, since I'm installing in Windows Vista 32-bit. When I get to this step, I run setup_windows.cmd, but it opens and closes so fast I have no chance to choose any options: "When asked, please try to choose the latest version that has the word mswin32 after it and answer yes if it asks to install dependencies."

After that, I just clicked on knots.rb and hoped it worked. How do I know if it actually started up or not?

2) "Just point your browser to http://localhost:1978 and add your media under settings."

What do I use for localhost? Is it the internal or external IP address (I've seen the notation before, but I never needed it, so I never found out what it meant)? Do I have to forward any ports in my router?

Thanks again! I'm sorry to rehash anything that was previously discussed in the other thread!

I'd say that other than the questions above, things have worked out nicely on the n810 side. The client opens and asks for the server address. I just don't know what to put there :p (answering question 2 should help me out, though)

Exact same problem! I was waiting on IRC to see if some one would help me... but no luck

elimoon8 2009-07-06 02:13

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
Thanks ishida336! :D

My question 1 remains, though. Is the program actually running properly? From the way the .cmd file opened and closed without me choosing any options, I don't think so.

sds910 2009-07-06 02:42

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
maemo install went fine, but the windows side is a mess. the install script incorrectly attempts to install a more recent version of sqllite3 for which there is no compiled win32 binary and errors out with nmake problems. after a little googling i was able to get the proper prerequisites installed manually, but any attempt to add media via the web interface is fruitless: it accepts the added folders but never sees any files.

ukki 2009-07-06 03:32

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sds910 (Post 302204)
maemo install went fine, but the windows side is a mess. the install script incorrectly attempts to install a more recent version of sqllite3 for which there is no compiled win32 binary and errors out with nmake problems. after a little googling i was able to get the proper prerequisites installed manually, but any attempt to add media via the web interface is fruitless: it accepts the added folders but never sees any files.

Sorry about the little messy install on Windows, but it's not the easiest target for me as I don't use it. Anyways, did you press Update collection after adding paths? That button comes visible when ffmpeg and vlc paths are correctly setup. It should autodetect them (unless VLC isn't in c:\Program FIles), but if not, please set the paths in settings. I think \ works in paths too, but Ruby on Windows seems to use / instead of \.

For the rest, please open a command prompt (run -> cmd) and type a command ruby -v. If it prints out a version number of ruby, it should be correctly setup. If not, please uninstall Ruby and be sure to use the rc1 version, we had problems with rc2. If ruby was correctly setup, please run the following command (if knots is on c:\ root):

Code:

cd c:\knots\install
windows_setup

and tell me what it says. If anyone got it working ok in Windows, please help the others.

sachin007 2009-07-06 04:16

Re: Knots 2 - easy media streaming for most operating systems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukki (Post 302210)
Sorry about the little messy install on Windows, but it's not the easiest target for me as I don't use it. Anyways, did you press Update collection after adding paths? That button comes visible when ffmpeg and vlc paths are correctly setup. It should autodetect them (unless VLC isn't in c:\Program FIles), but if not, please set the paths in settings. I think \ works in paths too, but Ruby on Windows seems to use / instead of \.

For the rest, please open a command prompt (run -> cmd) and type a command ruby -v. If it prints out a version number of ruby, it should be correctly setup. If not, please uninstall Ruby and be sure to use the rc1 version, we had problems with rc2. If ruby was correctly setup, please run the following command (if knots is on c:\ root):

Code:

cd c:\knots\install
windows_setup

and tell me what it says. If anyone got it working ok in Windows, please help the others.

What do i do if my program files is on F:

Please advise.

Thanks


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:49.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8