maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   [REQ] 802.11 Pushing Wireless Limits on the N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83768)

Spyrocheti 2012-04-20 09:36

[REQ] 802.11 Pushing Wireless Limits on the N900

Hello,

I would like to request the ability to freely change the regulatory domain variable to XX, much like the iw-reg-set-JP (ie BO, BZ)
Also looking at upping the TxPower in accordance with the allowed values, from 20dbm to 30dbm.
The Mod should be targeted at lxp's bleeding edge driver but it wouldn't hurt if it worked with the stock wl1251 as well.

Possible/Impossible?

Hurrian 2012-04-22 03:04

Re: [REQ] 802.11 Pushing Wireless Limits on the N900

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyrocheti (Post 1194798)
Hello,

I would like to request the ability to freely change the regulatory domain variable to XX, much like the iw-reg-set-JP (ie BO, BZ)
Also looking at upping the TxPower in accordance with the allowed values, from 20dbm to 30dbm.
The Mod should be targeted at lxp's bleeding edge driver but it wouldn't hurt if it worked with the stock wl1251 as well.

Possible/Impossible?

GOOGLE - It's the first damn result. http://www.knownokia.ca/2011/06/push...s-on-n900.html - REBUILD KERNEL POWER, WORKS ON STOCK WL1251

Spyrocheti 2012-04-22 05:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurrian (Post 1195663)
GOOGLE - It's the first damn result. http://www.knownokia.ca/2011/06/push...s-on-n900.html - REBUILD KERNEL POWER, WORKS ON STOCK WL1251

My question derives from that very same article, alas the title of the thread. So thanks for your input anyway. I am not confident enough and lack the proper knowledge to attempt the above hack on my own, thus the [req] part. My wish is to get someone that feels more comfortable in dealing with rebuilding the kernel, involved.

I am aware I'm asking for the fish instead of learning how to fish. I am indeed highly interested and excited in getting the same result of the author of that article, on my n900. But don't get me wrong, the fact that I am at the beginning of my learning curve doesn't mean lack of effort on my part. In my mind is just much more appropriate to ask for a solution from someone able to easily provide it, instead of asking them to also pass on the knowledge on how to do it myself.

Fond regards.

Estel 2012-04-22 10:48

As for unlocking all 14 channels in full power (iw reg set JP), You only need package iw-tools installed (You probably have it already, if You use any thing related to aircrack-ng), and execution of such command every time after loading stock drivers (again, it's not needed for bleeding-edge drivers, aka lxp's ones).

Here is example for advanced interface switcher - modified file /usr/bin/advifsw_wlan_on.sh
[code]#!/bin/sh
modprobe wl12xx
wl1251-cal
stop wlancond
start wlancond
ifconfig wlan0 up
sleep 1
iw reg set JP
sleep 1[/b]

So, as You can see, it consist only of adding command between two sleeps (required, to allow drivers to settle down, otherwise command may not be executed properly under some circumstances). To have full automation, You need to edit - in the same manner - every script, that is part of any program messing with loading/unloading drivers.

To find location of such files, You can use dpkg -L <packagename> (it list location of files, placed during installation of provided package), or ask in program's thread on TMO.
---

As for boosting power to 30 via custom kernel (module), I'm perfectly sure that it's only theoretical thing - driver's firmware also limit it for sure, and 1000 mW (1W!) is insanely impossible, unless someone want to fry egg on WLAN chip.

Ho ever if it's possible to boost it by reasonable amount and if it would be feasible (I'm pretty sure, that too high power would create noise, maybe so much, that it would outweigh benefits of boosting), is to be determine by more knowledgeable ones than me.

Maybe "little" boost - for example, 150 mW - could work well? It would be interesting, especially in tandem with external high-gain antenna, connected via hirose connector on our PCB.

/Estel

Hurrian 2012-04-22 12:54

This is TMO, where you learn to tinker with your black brick. . All you need to do is aquire scratchbox, run apt-get source kernel-power, perform the modification of the file needed, and then dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot to punch out new kernel-power debs.

Spyrocheti 2012-04-22 14:05

@Estel
Many thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

@Hurrian
For some reason there's no "Thanks!" button. Downloading the SDK to try it out as we speak.

Estel 2012-04-23 20:37

Sorry Hurrian, but I don't see any reason why unlocking higher power in kernel should get us past wlan chipset firmware limitation. i got a strange feeling, that Your second post was just meant "mock a little" after 1st post being too aggressive. Of course, i don't want to start argue here, so i'll keep from commenting on this further.

/Estel

Spyrocheti 2012-05-03 05:36

Ok, so after messing around with the SDK I managed to change the hardcoded values, patch the kernel, reflash it on the device,..well pretty much reproduce the results of the above article's author. All that with the standard driver loaded. Once I try loading bleeding edge it overrides everything and uses its own custom configuration. Tried to take a 'dive' into lxp's drivers but the waters got too deep too quickly :/ A couple days and countless headaches later I have for now given up on trying this on my own. Feels like trying to translate Ancient Egypt Hieroglyphs to me atm. Need to learn the language first ;)