maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Best way getting into Sailfish OS? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98310)

whc 2016-11-14 11:10

Best way getting into Sailfish OS?

Hi, really want to get into Sailfish OS, happy Nokia N810, N900 and N9 user in the past.

Have a Nokia N9, is it possible to get OS 2.0 on that, or else thinking of getting Intex Aqua Fish, that comes with Sailfish OS 2.0 out the box.

But is there no premium solution, seems to be budget phones that comes with Sailfish OS, maybe a way to get the OS on a more premium Android phone?

Any help is appreciated.

Markkyboy 2016-11-14 12:31

Re: Best way getting into Sailfish OS?

I suppose opinions will vary among users, but as a current owner of a Jolla1, if my Jolla1 got broken beyond repair, I would possibly try to get a second hand Jolla1, failing that, it'd be an Intex Aquafish - you'd be right in stating that there isn't a premium solution, but to be honest, there has yet to be an official premium offering.

I haven't played with any other devices regarding ported versions of SailfishOs, so I cannot comment on that.

The JollaC (only occasionally available second hand) is basically the Intex device with Jolla branding, or the other way round if you like, the differences are negligible.

Some users are using Turing devices for SailfishOs, but again, not without problems & niggles.

I think I'd have to say, get an Intex from India, the build quality cannot be any worse than the Jolla1.

juiceme 2016-11-14 12:39

Possibly AquaFish is the cheapest to go if you want to have ready-from-the-box SFOS experience, however the performance of the device is possibly not satisfactory if you want a real zoomer :p

If you want to go the do-it-yourself way the definite choice is Nexus5 (Hammerhead) since it is very well specced, quite cheap as a second-hand bargain, well supported and has a range of ready-made images available.

---------- edit ----------

Forgot the question about N9; yes, it is now possible to get SFOS 2.x.x to N9 too, so I have heard but have not tested it myself so cannot say anything about completeness of the build and whether it is usable as a daily driver. The 1.x.x versions had some slight hiccups that would drive all but the most callous users away :p

atlochowski 2016-11-14 13:17

Jolla C and Intex Aquafish are not the same phone, they have different antennas.

You can buy One Plus X (probably only second hand on the market) and flash it with Sailfish. I think this is the best phone for community ports.

I have Jolla and Jolla C and I prefer Jolla. Smaller dimensions are better for me and I prefer RGB notification LED.

taixzo 2016-11-14 18:55

OnePlus X is definitely the best port I've used (I've tried SFOS on Jolla, N9, HTC One m7, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the OPX). However, it did take about a month to buy the phone - there don't seem to be a lot of them for sale right now.

Dave999 2016-11-14 19:23

I would suggest Nexus or OnePlus. I would also suggest that you stay away from buying anything directly from jolla due to the likelyhood that you might be scammed. Happened 50% of their delivery(1 of 2). Better to buy a used one here, if you trust people around here that is ;).

Then when you have tried it you can try to buy something from jolla. If you can, please use invoice if possible.

GL

BluesLee 2016-11-14 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1518724)
OnePlus X is definitely the best port I've used (I've tried SFOS on Jolla, N9, HTC One m7, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the OPX). However, it did take about a month to buy the phone - there don't seem to be a lot of them for sale right now.

Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of OPX compared to Nexus 5 from a SFOS perspective?

whc 2016-11-15 00:35

Thanks all, thinking to start out with the Intex Aqua Fish, really cheap on eBay, and brand new, even though the quality is not the most premium, have been long time since I have rooted and plaid with my phones, but if I get a good offer on a Oneplus X or Nexus 5 (my wife does have a Nexus 5, but she does not wanna get rid of it, even though I offered to get a new phone for her).

This seems to be the cheapest Intex I could find, cannot fint any european stores that sells it, is it only possible to get it from india?

Strange that i Finnish company, only currently have a phone out in india. Would be cool if Nokia was to buy Jolla, and get into the smartphone game again, really miss those days, now every phone looks the same.

Will be fun to see how much have changed since Nokia N9 running Meego, loved that UI, but pretty unusable now, since I cannot get Google or Live to sync with the phone, getting my contact and calendar plus e-mails on the N9, guessing that it just does not work well with two stage verification on Google and Microsoft, even though I have tried making separate app passworn for the phone.

Also have iPhone and Sony smartphones, even though I like Android and iOS, just not as well designed UI for my likings, brilliantly just swyping to get around the UI, with these all screen phones, just seems most naturel and fastest.

Have also thought about getting a Nokia N900, so I can test and see the evolution from maemo->meego->sailfish, really liked that phone back then, great combination og Nokia N810(800) internet tablet and a smartphone. Anyway getting all nostalgic here, just kind of miss those days, where Nokia came up with all kinds of phones and designs, also really liked Symbian and kind of miss those (sometimes) strange N-series phones.

taixzo 2016-11-15 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesLee (Post 1518731)
Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of OPX compared to Nexus 5 from a SFOS perspective?

Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.

aegis 2016-11-15 16:48

If you need calendar syncing then iCloud CalDAV sync still works with the n9 but doesn't with SailfishOS. CalDAV is still a bag of hurt on Sailfish.

BluesLee 2016-11-15 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1518783)
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.

From a hardware perspective OPX is probably better with its dual sim option if you are fine with 16GB and you are right regarding the OLED screen, it was a really great experience on the N9.

In my opinion double-tap is overrated if LPM is available, it doesn't cost you remarkable battery life.

I cannot confirm your bluetooth issues which seem to be fixed since the porters switched to cm12 base in general.

The Nexus 5 is much cheaper if you get a 2nd hand one and is one of the best devices out there with respect to price performance ratio though its about three years since it's first release.

gerbick 2016-11-15 20:29

Getting into Sailfish while in North America is so much harder.

BluesLee 2016-11-15 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1518790)
Getting into Sailfish while in North America is so much harder.

Since the election? My personal advice, change the continent :D

juiceme 2016-11-15 21:10

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesLee (Post 1518731)

I have to disagree with what you're saying; I use a bluetooth headset (Urbanista Boston) almost daily for listening to Cutespot and Nettiradio and I never have any hiccups like you describe.
There is a real problem though, but it is not related to switching on/off the BT, but the fact that BT is unusable for call reception. The voicecall quality is so bad you cannot make out anything what is said in the other end.
I have no idea if voicecall over BT is better on OPX.

Quote:

Well, there is a kind-of-workaround to that; if LPM is enabled, the device wakes up when you pull it out from your pocket; after that it does react to double-tapping :D
But I do admit that doubletap is a nice feature.

Quote:

And that is a real bonus! OLED is so nice... Is the quality good?

One thing which I have learned to love is the wireless charging (Qi-standard). It is so nice just to drop the device on the pillow or charging tabletop and not to fumble for the USB port in the darkness.
I think OPX does not have that...?

taixzo 2016-11-15 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1518793)
I have to disagree with what you're saying; I use a bluetooth headset (Urbanista Boston) almost daily for listening to Cutespot and Nettiradio and I never have any hiccups like you describe.
There is a real problem though, but it is not related to switching on/off the BT, but the fact that BT is unusable for call reception. The voicecall quality is so bad you cannot make out anything what is said in the other end.
I have no idea if voicecall over BT is better on OPX.

I will say, I have not run the latest build (CM12 base) yet; it may be that all the issues have been fixed. I should test that.

Quote:

Well, there is a kind-of-workaround to that; if LPM is enabled, the device wakes up when you pull it out from your pocket; after that it does react to double-tapping :D
But I do admit that doubletap is a nice feature.

How do you enable LPM? I didn't see anything about that on the wiki page.

Quote:

And that is a real bonus! OLED is so nice... Is the quality good?

The quality is amazing, much better than the N9. It can also dim much farther - the N9 would always blind me at night, even on minimum brightness. I've been using it with displaytime for a night clock that's barely lit.

Quote:

One thing which I have learned to love is the wireless charging (Qi-standard). It is so nice just to drop the device on the pillow or charging tabletop and not to fumble for the USB port in the darkness.
I think OPX does not have that...?

Nope, it doesn't. The Nexus 5 does? I never knew!

gerbick 2016-11-15 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesLee (Post 1518792)
Since the election? My personal advice, change the continent :D

Ha! Good one.

Bundyo 2016-11-16 07:06

LPM is easily enabled, but talso triggers the device freeze bug from the latest SFOS releases much more reliably. :) I keep it disabled until this gets fixed.

BT call reception on OnyX is excellent, the screen is amazing and the device is sleek and fast. I don't miss the wireless charging. Also the port is much less draining than the sensors bug on Nexus 5 (which AFAIK is still an issue) - I'm getting minimum a day with moderate usage.

Nexus 5 has sfdroid though.

rob_kouw 2016-11-17 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1518785)
CalDAV is still a bag of hurt on Sailfish.

Off topic maybe, but CalDAV for Fruux is working fine on my Jolla 1. Must say, I experienced some double or triple calendars, but that hasn't happened since Fiskarsinjoki.

pichlo 2016-11-17 08:47

@rob_kouw, as far as I know, @aegis is using some kind of Apple CalDAV and has been complaining about having issues with it for the past two years or so. The fact that no one else has been complaining suggests that there are not too many users of that particular service among the Sailfish user base. I personally would not know, I do not use any C*DAV of any sort.

r0kk3rz 2016-11-17 14:13

Despite looking like some kind of a standard format, it seems like CalDav/CarDav cloud hosts differ wildly in their implementations.

Jolla is currently setting up a container server and inventing some automated tests to help increase the number of supported providers.

karan5chaos 2016-11-22 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by whc (Post 1518704)
Hi, really want to get into Sailfish OS, happy Nokia N810, N900 and N9 user in the past.

Have a Nokia N9, is it possible to get OS 2.0 on that, or else thinking of getting Intex Aqua Fish, that comes with Sailfish OS 2.0 out the box.

But is there no premium solution, seems to be budget phones that comes with Sailfish OS, maybe a way to get the OS on a more premium Android phone?

Any help is appreciated.

There's fairphone and epic nexus line (4 & 5), there's one plus one and one plus x aswell. i own one plus x and sailfish looks beautiful on amoled display.

aspergerguy 2016-11-24 15:58

For anyone new to installing Sailfish upon OPX probably best instructions found here albeit in German:http://sailfishmods.de/2016/07/onepl...-installieren/

Link given for Android base in XDA CyanogenMod thread referred to in wiki.merproject.org is no longer valid.

Look for latest Sailfish-Onyx releases here: http://images.devaamo.fi/sfe/onyx/beta-3/

accumulator 2016-11-25 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1518785)
If you need calendar syncing then iCloud CalDAV sync still works with the n9 but doesn't with SailfishOS. CalDAV is still a bag of hurt on Sailfish.

Actually, SyncEvolution works quite well, after the initial pain of setting it up properly.

MMC 2016-11-25 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1518724)

OnePlus X is now back in stock for some countries, e.g. for Germany on https://oneplus.net/de/oneplus-x

Akkumaru 2016-11-25 12:17

Been wanting to use Sailfish OS on the Oneplus X, but time and school just don't allow me to move away from Android.

juiceme 2016-11-25 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1519370)
Been wanting to use Sailfish OS on the Oneplus X, but time and school just don't allow me to move away from Android.

It doesn't really take that much time.
Also I don't see how would school hinder you unless there's some Android apps you need at school... :D

Akkumaru 2016-11-26 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1519376)
It doesn't really take that much time.
Also I don't see how would school hinder you unless there's some Android apps you need at school... :D

Yeah it's probably easy to flash the ROM, but reliability is a top priority for schools, so if anything happens I cannot afford the time taken to fix it. Already using a linux machine for school, generally hard to communicate and work with people who don't understand the beauty of using linux :D

juiceme 2016-11-26 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1519416)
Yeah it's probably easy to flash the ROM, but reliability is a top priority for schools, so if anything happens I cannot afford the time taken to fix it. Already using a linux machine for school, generally hard to communicate and work with people who don't understand the beauty of using linux :D

I use Nexus5/SFOS as my main device since last spring and it is dead reliable, I use it as my work phone and I kind of assume school cannot be higher priority :p
I have not used OPX, but people here who have both Nexus5 and OPX say that it is better...

Veraendert 2016-11-26 15:34

Same here with Nexus 4. SFOS is more than ok as daily driver. But then i don't use Whatsapp.

explit 2016-11-27 00:30

Fairphone 2 or OnePlus X are thebest ports IMHO. OnePlus X has better specs than FP2, is cheaper, but not modular

pichlo 2016-11-27 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1519428)
I use Nexus5/SFOS as my main device since last spring and it is dead reliable

Really? :p

kuba77 2016-11-27 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veraendert (Post 1519442)
Same here with Nexus 4. SFOS is more than ok as daily driver. But then i don't use Whatsapp.

On Nexus 4 I have only one problem with battery consuption, every second sleep CPU usage=25% and take more battery than normal especially
in flight mode. Over night in flight mode if CPU usage=25% take 15% battery, if CPU usage is about 0% and CPU sleep is normal take 2-3% and if CPU usage is about 0% and CPU sleep 0% take 7-8%.

juiceme 2016-11-27 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1519462)

Yes, no kidding!
Those issues I am quoting are not reliability issues, rather more like missing features. :D

pichlo 2016-11-27 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1519479)
Yes, no kidding!
Those issues I am quoting are not reliability issues, rather more like missing features. :D

#3 sounds like a reliability to me, but hey, to each his own :)

Akkumaru 2016-11-28 10:07

I'm looking to buy a Nexus 5, should I use Nexus 5 as a guinea pig or the OnePlus X?

mautz 2016-11-28 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1519525)
I'm looking to buy a Nexus 5, should I use Nexus 5 as a guinea pig or the OnePlus X?

Depends on how much money you are going to spent and if you need sfdroid or not...

maegon9y00 2017-03-17 18:47

I want to experience Sailfish OS, and the cheaper way I have (actually the only one, given my location and circumstances) is to test it on some ported Sailfish OS, like Motorola Droid 4 XT894. I wonder if there is and app for:

"91. good sound recording application (which allows saving in any supported codec)."

nthn 2017-03-17 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by maegon9y00 (Post 1525569)
I want to experience Sailfish OS, and the cheaper way I have (actually the only one, given my location and circumstances) is to test it on some ported Sailfish OS, like Motorola Droid 4 XT894. I wonder if there is and app for:

"91. good sound recording application (which allows saving in any supported codec)."

There's an application simply called 'Recorder', which allows you to record in Vorbis, Speex, PCM or FLAC. You can change the sample rate, too. Do you need anything else?

maegon9y00 2017-03-17 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1525577)
There's an application simply called 'Recorder', which allows you to record in Vorbis, Speex, PCM or FLAC. You can change the sample rate, too. Do you need anything else?

Thanks nthn, also would be nice the:

92. Good video recording applications which allows saving in any supported codec

Both for record classes at university.

coderus 2017-03-17 22:29

video can't be recorded on N9 running SailfishOS until you port camera drivers for it :)