maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63675)

fcrochik 2010-10-11 15:33

[Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client

Communi - 2.0.0

I just packaged Communi and uploaded it to extras.

I haven't done anything to the source code. Just created a package for it that later I will improve (add icon for the application manager, ... )

All the credit for the application goes to J-P Nurmi.

Some Screenshots:
http://maemo.crochik.com/_/rsrc/1286...011-112154.png

http://maemo.crochik.com/_/rsrc/1286...011-112446.png

Note: In order to create the package for communi I also packaged the libqtircclient-qt.

petur 2010-10-11 15:40

Re: [Announce] Communi - simple light-weight IRC client

Quote:

Furthermore, Communi aims to maximize the the available screen size for the actual chat content. There are no fancy menu bars, tool bars, status bars or dock widgets eating up the available screen size, making Communi suitable for embedded devices even with relatively small screens.
Seems to need a bit more work in that regard :/
But, nice to see this, holds great potential.

Does it support sound/vibration on nick highlighting?

DrWilken 2010-10-11 16:33

It's missing a dependency:
Code:

N900:~$ communi
communi: error while loading shared libraries: libQtScript.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libqt4-script

jmk 2010-10-11 18:49

Really nice app and working very well. Except If the nick is on the use on the server you need to change it from server settings and there is no way to change it on the fly (/nick) and get connected. Didn't find yet any other "bugs".

DrWilken 2010-10-11 20:04

Would it be possible to disable Auto Caps (first letter)? :) Guess it's a Qt input option?

fcrochik 2010-10-14 14:29

I just uploaded a new version to extras-devel. Other than fixing the dependency problem the only change is that I disabled the auto-caps.

p.s. Now that I have fixed the libircclient-qt package I will probably create a "alternative" communi package to include my changes. J-P has done such a great job of keeping communi code cross-platform that I want to make sure one can always get the original code. At the same time, I want to experiment some of my ideas of how to improve the UI for the n900 w/o having to worry much about how it would work on the other platforms just yet.

AlMehdi 2010-10-18 12:44

This IRC-client was very nice. I would like to be able to see more of the chat window though.. so if you are going to add som changes... maybe add an ability to reduce size of text and ability to remove tabs.

DrWilken 2010-10-18 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 844088)
This IRC-client was very nice. I would like to be able to see more of the chat window though.. so if you are going to add som changes... maybe add an ability to reduce size of text and ability to remove tabs.

Look in Settings (menubar -> settings)... :)

You can select font, font size and scrollback buffer. But this is only for the text *inside* the tabs. Not for the tabs themselves... ;)

fcrochik 2010-10-18 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 844088)

I am right there with you...I am planning to create a separate project so I can try different things and leave the original code available on the communi project.

My ideas:
  • remove tabs on the left side
  • remove home screen
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu
  • remove the time stamp (setting)
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel.
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly
  • clear current view
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick"
  • list of channels on the server
  • save last channels between sessions

Ideas anyone else?

AlMehdi 2010-10-18 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcrochik (Post 844153)
I am right there with you...I am planning to create a separate project so I can try different things and leave the original code available on the communi project.

My ideas:
  • remove tabs on the left side
  • remove home screen
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu
  • remove the time stamp (setting)
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel.
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly
  • clear current view
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick"
  • list of channels on the server

Ideas anyone else?

• remove tabs on the left side (like)
  • remove home screen (like)
  • make the "connect" part of home become a dialog (like)
  • maybe remove top tabs (not sure about this one... )... you will switch between channels using the menu (dislike) It's makes it very easy to switch and se if there is activity
  • remove the time stamp (setting) (dislike) Good to know when something is said
  • create a window to list the contacts currently online on the channel (like)
  • create a combined view so you can see all the messages from all the channels you are connected in one place... where you have the date I would have the channel name... clicking on the channel would take you to the window for that channel. (not sure)
  • some kind of wake up warning when some one ping you or send a message to you directly (like)
  • clear current view (like)
  • would like some easy way to track what I have already read (like)
  • button to allow you to select "command" ...maybe button to allow you to select "nick" (like)
  • list of channels on the server (not sure)