maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Quickest way to dialing pad? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83726)

regulus 2012-04-18 07:58

Quickest way to dialing pad?

Is there any quick way to the dialing pad (from the screen-off "standby" state)?

Right now, I have to unlock the screen first, then open the phone app, then tap on the Dialing Pad to open it. Is there at least some add-on available that would make this a one-move action from either of the buttons around the device?

I know you can slide open the keyboard and start typing a name, but that's not what I'm looking for.

karimko 2012-04-18 08:18

Re: Quickest way to dialing pad?

If you already know a phone number to dial you could just create a shortcut with the following shell command:

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.csd.Call /com/nokia/csd/call com.nokia.csd.Call.CreateWith string:"$NUMBER" uint32:0

Hope this helps.

regulus 2012-04-18 08:37

What exactly do you mean by "already know a number" (i.e. should the $NUMBER string in the shortcut be already replaced with the actual number)?
The number to be dialed (in these cases) is namely either written on a piece of paper, or on some other screen. So it's never in the phone already. The ancient way of calling, so to speak. :D

karimko 2012-04-18 08:48

Yup, if you already know the number you want to call and use it frequently you could create a shortcut for it and replace $Number with the number you need to call thus skipping the dialing pad altogether.

If you want to use the "ancient way" :P then I can only think of unlocking and start writing numbers straight away. Meaning the blue keyboard button along with a number key when you are on the desktop. Somehow can't get that to work :S Could be a CSSU issue not sure. If you don't have CSSU go ahead and try it out. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

droll 2012-04-18 08:58

you could write a script that monitors the accelerometers and wakes the phone up, brings the dialer forward etc when you shake the phone violently enough. :)

but, battery life would probably suffer...:)

karimko 2012-04-18 09:01

Check this out: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58049

regulus 2012-04-18 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimko (Post 1193716)
Yup, if you already know the number you want to call and use it frequently you could create a shortcut for it and replace $Number with the number you need to call thus skipping the dialing pad altogether.

That's already one of the default features AFAIK - putting the contact shortcut on the desktop, that is.

Otherwise, I'm on the CSSU, yes. I'll have a look at that widget, though. Thanks! :)

nicolai 2012-04-18 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by regulus (Post 1193695)
Right now, I have to unlock the screen first, then open the phone app, then tap on the Dialing Pad to open it.

This saves you at least on step:
Put it in your systemui.xml (/etc/systemui/systemui.xml):
Code:

<menuitem priority="200" name="pad">
  <callback service="com.nokia.CallUI" path="/com/nokia/CallUI" interface="com.nokia.CallUI" method="ShowDialpad" bus="system" autostart="true">
    <argument type="string"></argument>
  </callback>
 </menuitem>

This will add a button to your powerkey menu which starts the
phoneapp in dialpad mode.

Or put a desktop shortcut for the dialpad mode on your desktop:
Feature request: shortcut direct into keypad in telephone-application.

regulus 2012-04-18 09:53

Thanks nicolai, the menu entry is exactly to the point. :)
Speaking of the powerkey menu -- is there any way to sort or rearrange the entries in it (without breaking anything...)? I assume it has something to do with "priority=NNN".

nicolai 2012-04-18 10:16

Yes, but I don't know how it is sorted actually.
Try priority 750.
At least on my device, this puts the button in the lower left position.