maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your language(s)? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60624)

aligatro 2010-08-18 19:14

What is your language(s)?

I've seen many different languages being used on this forum. And so I got curious about how many different language people know here.
Not sure if there is a similar topic on this forum. I tried to search, but there are simply too many results. So, I am going to start:

1st language is: Russian. 2nd is Ukrainian. and 3rd Language is English.

Sorry if your language is not in the poll. There a limit of entries.

I meant only if you speak the language fluently or at least understand 90% of it. But oh well.

MohammadAG 2010-08-18 20:11

Re: What is your language(s)?

1st is Arabic, 2nd is English, 3rd is French, 4th is Hebrew
I know some russian swear words, does that count? ;)

arne.anka 2010-08-18 20:21

german, english, swedish (norwegian and danish included ;-), remains of french, polish, russian, even smaller remains latin, greek, hebrew (the ancient varities).

longcat 2010-08-18 20:35

serbian, croatian, bosnian, montenegrin (all the same imho), english, french...

marxian 2010-08-18 20:41

1st language: Java
2nd language: Python
3rd language: English

;)

voodoower 2010-08-18 23:19

1st: Arabic
2nd: French
3rd: English (it's way better than my french now)
4th: German
5th: Italian (i understand most of i hear but i'm kind of slow when i reply)

danramos 2010-08-18 23:36

I'm mainly understand/speak/read/write fluently in American English and, to a large degree, British English.

I fluently understand and read Portuguese, and I write relatively decent Portuguese, but I'm told that when I speak Portuguese outloud, it comes out as a kind of almost comedic sounding "jive". I can't help it, though, but people refuse to help me correct it. They think it's funny but perfectly understandable. *shrug*

I also dabble a (very) little in Japanese, German and French. :)

Does Perl, Python, BASH, etc. count too?

anthonie 2010-08-19 00:50

1. Dutch - Native
2. English - I am being told I speak a posh kind of archaic English. Seems to impress people so I never got rid of my accent I got from living in London.
3. German - There are 17 million dutch people and 90 million Germans. Oh yeah. They invaded us once. There is no way to get around German. My n900 refuses though. Germans tend to love the accent of Dutch people. I hate it and try to improve all the time but will probably always be recognized instantly (go figure) as a Käsekopf.
4. Spanish - I live in Spain. I work there. My girlfriend is from here too. I feel I speak non of my languages good enough. Spanish is relatively new. Four years don´t hide a guiri...
5. Catalan - The region where I live has a different primary language called Catalan. Without it, life is very much more difficult. I understand it a whole lot better than I speak it as the pronounciation is not easy to grasp.But even speaking it with a thick, thick accent opens a lot of doors and gains a lot of positive reactions as most extranjeros simply refuse to bother.

@OP

90% understanding, huh? Makes me wonder... What measurements do you use?

gsever 2010-08-19 01:24

Native in Turkish (Türkçe) [Herkese selam -> Hi everbody]

Speak English for almost three years. Nonetheless never got to a point to read Bourne trilogy books without looking up a dictionary yet.

Although I read languages like C, IDL; Python is my favorite computer language.

YoDude 2010-08-19 01:27

I wish there was a distinction between "English" and "American". My first language is American, then some Italian, French, German, Flemish, and Kings English in that order. :)

@ Lord of Dans:

Have you tried your Portuguese in Brazil or oddly enough the Lazio region of Italy?

I was on a project in Aprilla, Latina and some of the start-up staff were pulled from our Sao Paulo division. Although their native tongue was Portuguese, they told me they were better understood and felt more at home on site in that region of Italy then they did when they visited Portugal or other areas of Italy over long week-ends for R & R.