maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   BBC iPlayer? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19774)

siralien 2008-05-04 13:36

BBC iPlayer?

Does the flash based BBC iPlayer now work fine on the N810?

Just thinking ahead of all the things I may hit before buying one of these things.

Marky

gerrymoth 2008-05-04 15:23

Re: BBC iPlayer?

I've not been able to get it to work properly on my N800 or N810 with the default web browser.

siralien 2008-05-04 16:38

Default browser? Is there another?

Is anyone making any effort to make this work? Afterall it's supposed to be just flash isn't it?

YoDude 2008-05-04 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by siralien (Post 177841)
Default browser? Is there another?

Is anyone making any effort to make this work? Afterall it's supposed to be just flash isn't it?

Quote:

Can I use BBC iPlayer outside the UK?
Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK.
No amount of effort will help with this^ for most potential users. :)

In the USA I use this >>CLICK<< with no problems on my N800.

siralien 2008-05-05 08:04

I think that's crazy. Putting aside legal restrictions allowing non UK IP addresses access to the site, the service being used is simple flash based animation that one gets on YouTube and other sites. If the browser on the N810 cannot play this then certainly, from a user point of view, that's a bug. The browser is failing to provide access to the services it should.

qwerty12 2008-05-05 08:07

Actually, the browser is able to play the content but once again, its hardware restrictions that stop the N800 from watching it in any application.

siralien 2008-05-05 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 178033)
Actually, the browser is able to play the content but once again, its hardware restrictions that stop the N800 from watching it in any application.

That's interesting. What are those limitations? Speed, memory, storage space?

Additionally, has anyone asked the BBC Research how it plans to overcome any of those issues? The iPhone plays it afterall.

johnsto 2008-05-05 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by siralien (Post 178032)
the service being used is simple flash based animation that one gets on YouTube and other sites.

While iPlayer is Flash-based, like YouTube, the comparison is not that simple at all.

First, iPlayer streams using RTMP, whereas YouTube uses standard FLV/HTTP streaming, which has lower requirements. Secondly, iPlayer has a higher resolution and bitrate than YouTube, and is more resource-intensive to decode since it uses the VP6 codec.

That said, still a bit crap that my N800 stutters on YouTube videos anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by siralien (Post 178034)
Additionally, has anyone asked the BBC Research how it plans to overcome any of those issues? The iPhone plays it afterall.

The iPlayer on iPhone doesn't use Flash - it uses H.264 MP4 streams over HTTP that the BBC set up specifically for the iPhone. Since the iPhone has H.264 decoding hardware, it doesn't even break into a sweat. The N8x0 doesn't have this luxury.

I know the BBC are trying to make iPlayer accessible to more devices (I visited them just over a week ago and discussed these issues), so the situation is going to improve, but maybe not immediately. There are (non-technical) hurdles to overcome first.

siralien 2008-05-05 08:53

Well that sounds promising and thanks for the head up on the different formats. I guess Nokia need to build into the next IT the extra oomph it needs to run these videos. It's a great shame. One of the things I had hoped to look forward to was the iPlayer. Perhaps the BBC elves will come up with something soon for the N810?

El Amir 2008-05-05 09:03

could theere be a way to download the videos and then watch them ?
Maybe that'll work ?
Maybe get a BBC iPlayer Canola Plugin ;) ?