maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   [PATCH] Two-column and single-column task switcher, big previews (hildon-desktop) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63419)

thp 2010-10-05 22:36

[PATCH] Two-column and single-column task switcher, big previews (hildon-desktop)

I've always been annoyed by the small thumbnails in the task switcher for >= 3 open windows. I'd love to have bigger previews, even if this means more scrolling for me. For this, I've written a patch against hildon-desktop - it's pretty straightforward.

Patch: hildon-desktop-2.2.138-1+0m5_big-task-switcher.patch (applies against the source package with the same version number)

Single-column layout looks like this:

http://thpinfo.com/2010/maemo/hd-sin...umn_layout.png

Two-column layout looks like this:

http://thpinfo.com/2010/maemo/hd-two_column_layout.png

How to build in Scratchbox:

Code:

apt-get source hildon-desktop
apt-get build-dep hildon-desktop
cd hildon-desktop-*
patch -p1 < /path/to/patchfile
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

Then scp the resulting .deb to your device, dpkg -i and finally "killall hildon-desktop" as user to reload hildon-desktop (it gets reloaded automatically).

Feel free to improve! I especially like to see the task switcher centering a window after a scroll operation has stopped halfway through (like the panoramic desktop switching).

cfh11 2010-10-05 22:40

Re: [PATCH] Two-column and single-column task switcher, big previews (hildon-desktop)

thanks man this is awesome!

rantom 2010-10-05 22:52

Re: [PATCH] Two-column and single-column task switcher, big previews (hildon-desktop)

I do like the idea, though I'd like to see this improved to vertical support also. Possible? And does this interfere with MohammadAG's modified Hildon desktop?

Faz 2010-10-05 23:04

Very nice! :)

prometoys 2010-10-06 01:34

Respect that you are not afraid for more scrolling due to the bad screen performance of the N900. I don't like scrolling in N900 because its jumps between laggy and to fast :)

I love the small thumbs, but since month I close all apps (even browser and conboy) when I don't use them for a minute. Don't no why, maybe because the system feels so slow, when listening to webradio over 3G via bluetooth headset...

Anyway, nice hack! (#freedomofchoice)

Cheers,

Keywan

Mentalist Traceur 2010-10-06 01:46

Not gonna use this personally, because I am happy with the task switcher as is, but it's cool to see people being given more options. It would be nice if you made it possible to set it to allow for any number of windows across, rather than just 1-2. That way people who would like to lock it to a different higher number, but still want to pin it instead of letting the thing improvise it's arrangement, can do so.

F2thaK 2010-10-06 02:23

Nice work! Can you supply the *.deb for us who dont use/dont know how to use Scratchbox??

Thanks

sony123 2010-10-06 06:57

Nice job (though I am in no need of such mod). Portrait mode support maybe? I promise I will donate :)

thp 2010-10-06 12:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 834371)
Can you supply the *.deb for us who dont use/dont know how to use Scratchbox??

You should really compile it from source yourself, as installing binaries from strangers is very dangerous. I've attached the binary here now, but please note that I offer no warranty, and hildon-desktop is a pretty important system package, so you better make sure that you know how to fix problems should they arise.

thp 2010-10-06 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantom (Post 834268)
I do like the idea, though I'd like to see this improved to vertical support also. Possible? And does this interfere with MohammadAG's modified Hildon desktop?

Vertical support is probably possible, but would require a bit more work. hildon-desktop is available in Gitorious, so start hacking ;)

If MohammadAG merges this patch into his modified hildon-desktop, it will work (can't see why it won't). Maybe he wants to provide a build of his modifications with and without this patch (linked from the first post in this thread). I'm too lazy to make it a proper option so that things like the layouting can be configured at runtime via GConf or something, but it would definitely be possible.