maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How to find the names of the folder home and user? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83559)

cazzandra 2012-04-11 08:01

How to find the names of the folder home and user?

Hello!
I have read some post here. Some installations requires text input like
/home/user/mydoc
My nokia has Swedish menys. I know that mydocs is Dokument.
But how do I find the names of user and home?
I assume that I have to put in the swedish names even if I'm running an english script or what I do.

misiak 2012-04-11 08:33

Re: How to find the names of the folder home and user?

EDIT: fixed my mistake, thanks, pelago! :)

If it's script or anything console-based (running in Terminal), you do not need to write sweedish or any other localized directory names instead of english ones. You can see "Dokument", I can see "Dokumenty", others may see "Documents", but on all our devices it's just "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" (watch out, directory and file names are case-sensitive in linux). The name "Dokument" is only displayed in GUI (Graphical User Interface - nice looking apps without ugly black terminal with white chars), while it's not real directory's name (in the meaning: how it is named physically on device). It's the same in Windows since Vista or 7, in 7 my desktop directory in explorer shows as C:/Uzytkownicy/misiak/Pulpit, while if i open terminal (cmd.exe), it's in fact C:/Users/misiak/Desktop. It may be confusing at first, but it's great solution, because:
- users see directory names that are familiar to them in their preferred language;
- all software and scripts can just operate on the same paths on all devices, regardless of language, so they become somehow universal.

I hope I made it more understandable to you ;)

pelago 2012-04-11 10:23

Actually, /home/user/MyDocs is what you see in the File Manager usually as "Nokia N900". The "Documents" (or "Dokument" or "Dokumenty") folder within that is /home/user/MyDocs/.documents. All of the pre-defined folders have real filenames which are the same on all devices, but which are translated into local language in the GUI. These folders are:
  • /home/user/MyDocs/.documents (in UK at least appears in GUI as Documents within Nokia N900)
  • /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds (in UK at least appears in GUI as "Audio clips" within Nokia N900)
  • /home/user/MyDocs/.videos (in UK at least appears in GUI as "Video clips" within Nokia N900)

cazzandra 2012-04-11 12:25

Thanks alot :) That was easy. (When you know the answer.) No I don'nt need to struggle with the folder translation.

misiak 2012-04-11 15:12

Thank you for clarifying, pelago, of course you are right. I've changed the name from "N900" to something different and forgot that it was "N900", not "Documents" earlier (and I don't use Nokia's default .documents, .sounds and .videos directories for storing anything anyway), silly me.