maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Revive OSM2Go on Maemo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91545)

TomJ 2013-10-08 11:37

Revive OSM2Go on Maemo

OSM2Go in the maemo repos no longer woks properly because the number of nodes on OSM has exceeded 2^31; the possibility of this is commented in the code.

The original author, TIll Harbaum said a couple of years ago he was moving onto other more popular projects and has just confirmed to me by email he has recently retired his N900, so has no real drive to come back to the project, which is fair enough. He is happy for others to take on the maintainer mantle.

Someone from the OSM community has fixed the problem and posted his version on github, but stated "maemo packagers wanted".

I would like to get a working version a. on my N900 (yes, I'm selfish!) and b. available in the repos (but not entirely so). Unfortunately I lack the experience to do either - my programming experience is limited some real-time stuff during my engineering degree back in the dieing days of the 20th century. So I'm wondering if anyone could either talk me through how to compile the github version for my own use (starting from scratch on a windows laptop or from a thumb-drive booted linux) or would be willing to package and push the fixed version for us all to share.

AapoRantalainen 2013-10-09 12:18

Re: Revive OSM2Go on Maemo

Version from github is now on extras-devel.

I tested it can be installed and started. I don't know how to check status of the bug you mentioned.

foobar 2013-10-09 12:34

Just update from OSM and upload a change.
Did that and it works. Thanks, TomJ and AapoRantalainen!

TomJ 2013-10-09 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1379594)

I tested it can be installed and started. I don't know how to check status of the bug you mentioned.

Brilliant! Thanks Aapo; I was beginning to think I'd have to install build-essentials on my GSM-disadvantaged N900 and attempt to work out how to build it myself!

UPDATE: I've managed to upload a new node to OSM, so it appears to be working properly. I'll probably head along to the OSM pub meet in London tomorrow to give it a proper thrashing...

gianko 2014-01-30 00:10

two issues reported on github for osm2go https://github.com/AMDmi3/osm2go

amdmi3 2014-02-12 02:04

Hi!

I've released version 0.8.4 which fixes one of these bugs which is critical (map not shown when selecting a region for a new project), another bug is in my todo list.

I'm glad there's interest in osm2go and will try to keep it afloat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1379594)

It would be nice if you update the package once more.

Thanks!

AapoRantalainen 2014-02-13 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdmi3 (Post 1412328)
It would be nice if you update the package once more.

Done.

Modifications:
1)
src/net_io.c
src/osm_api.c
-include <curl/types.h>

2)
data/osm2go.conf from older version

3)
configure from older version
(problem to run autoconf)

amdmi3 2014-02-14 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen (Post 1412621)
Done.

Thank you! May I get your contacts to ping you directly for packaging following releases? My mail is available on github.

Quote:

Modifications:
1)
src/net_io.c
src/osm_api.c
-include <curl/types.h>

Fixed.

Quote:

2)
data/osm2go.conf from older version

Gotta investigate how it's used and why it was not in the repo if it's needed.

Quote:

3)
configure from older version
(problem to run autoconf)

Could you send/post errors? Plain autoreconf worked for me on FreeBSD, Debian, for Scratchbox and Travis builds.

gianko 2014-02-15 23:26

Bump! Btw is it possible to add Bing aerial images to the wms in osm2go?

amdmi3 2014-02-16 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianko (Post 1412954)
Bump! Btw is it possible to add Bing aerial images to the wms in osm2go?

It is. However for that working Bing WMS server would be needed, but hosting it will likely be against Bing TOS so you probably won't find a public one. You can run your own with twms (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TWMS) though.

AapoRantalainen 2014-02-19 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdmi3 (Post 1412809)
Thank you! May I get your contacts to ping you directly for packaging following releases?

Done

Quote:

Originally Posted by amdmi3 (Post 1412809)
Could you send/post errors? Plain autoreconf worked for me

Seems I now got it working, maybe I had some old files hanging before 'git pull'.

gianko 2014-03-24 19:07

in this thread, there is a porting of maep on sailfish. as osm2go is using maep in his core for tile rendering, may be interesting to follow that developing. maybe for collaboration in some bugfixing...they fixed the user-agent issue too

nokiabot 2014-08-16 13:50

can somebody post a couple of nice wms servers for satelite imagery the deafult nasa one not working for me as its downloading nothing:(

and how do i go fullscreen in osm2go

nokiabot 2014-08-16 19:14

itried nothing seems to happen i cant get wms to work like the bing imagery i get when the web frontend is used:( it would be better if google earth or something else could be used as i found out the bing imagery here is at least 4 years old:( poor osm

gianko 2014-08-16 21:27

1 Attachment(s)
you cannot use google/teleatlas/navteq or other copyrighted images to draw osm maps...only authorized one like Bing or Mapbox. Have you tried to set up your own wms server for Bing?

btw i tried to add an italian wms authorized to be used for osm but it doesnt load images :( i attache the output in terminal with errors as txt file if anybody can figure out whats the problem
(it works fine in josm)

nokiabot 2014-08-17 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianko (Post 1436026)
you cannot use google/teleatlas/navteq or other copyrighted images to draw osm maps...only authorized one like Bing or Mapbox. Have you tried to set up your own wms server for Bing?

btw i tried to add an italian wms authorized to be used for osm but it doesnt load images :( i attache the output in terminal with errors as txt file if anybody can figure out whats the problem
(it works fine in josm)

i just wanted to get it going thanks for reminding it:) for me osm =obsolute street maps as it was just like a blank paper in my area nor it got any creditable data in the city long back but now most major things are coverd sparcely at least i fired up osm a week back to see what editing is like so created one account and to my amazement its damm easy and my edits were actually showing up on the main map:D and also in osm apps like modrana :eek: i turned the blank paper to an essay in just a week with only a few minuts of editing everyday:) i am just wonderingwhat was holding anyone from editing previously i suspect its just lack of any proper info on the subject:(

nokiabot 2014-08-17 09:09

how do i draw waterbodies buildings etc in osm2go ? though i can edit very nicely with my stylus previously created things in potlach:)

how do i get more realestate by golng fullscreen or is it not supported ? the panels should be a bit thinner hideable or transparent that way it would be more efficent:)

nokiabot 2015-03-10 03:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRCulver (Post 1463577)
This is now getting very off-topic, but I would expect you to be aware of the fact that most mobile OpenStreetMap development is done on Android devices. At my local OSM meetings, I'm seen as somewhat out of touch, because my N900 is unable to run many of the standard OSM tools and useful new applications like ScoutSigns and Mapillary. Furthermore, OSM2GO is abandonware, it uses many deprecated OSM tags, and and there is no guarantee that it will be able to upload edits to OSM for much longer. And far from feeling that the N900 touchscreen is perfection, I've often struggled with locating an OSM point precisely.

The Neo900 would be nice as a “real Linux phone”, but I don’t think its userbase will be anywhere near large to replace many old, abandoned projects like OSM2GO with working and reliable new versions. And with the low screen resolution, even trying to use desktop applications through the power of “real Linux” isn’t an attractive prospect, as those who have to work with OpenOffice or Firefox on the N900 can attest.

kind of same itch :(
osm should be a bit more morden

nokiabot 2015-04-03 04:25

unavailablity of undo option is a real nuiance when things get messed up

kureyon 2015-04-03 11:25

Well done nokiabot for trying to make your local coverage less "sparse" :)

Xagoln 2017-03-02 07:37

Is OSM2Go any good for just using as an offline map, when one doesn't have any plans to update OSM?

gianko 2017-03-02 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xagoln (Post 1524569)
Is OSM2Go any good for just using as an offline map, when one doesn't have any plans to update OSM?

For offline maps, you need software that do cache of tiles. Try cloudgps, mappero, modrana or advanced geocaching tool

AapoRantalainen 2017-03-09 18:04

I'm biased, but I suggest advanced geocaching tool (AGTL). It handles offline maps and can be used without any means relating geocaching.

TomJ 2017-03-10 12:23

Has the updated version from the developer regatta made it to any repos?

gianko 2017-06-27 08:09

I downloaded and installed the latest release 0.9.7 deb from https://github.com/osm2go/osm2go
Would be nice to have it in maemo repos

Halftux 2017-06-27 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianko (Post 1529723)
I downloaded and installed the latest release 0.9.7 deb from https://github.com/osm2go/osm2go
Would be nice to have it in maemo repos

I think it is not so easy to upload to the repos due to an old cmake.
Version 3.8 is needed and autobuilder has 2.6.3.
So first would be to update cmake and maybe this is not enough could be that you also need a newer gcc don't know.

Dakon 2020-11-24 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1529727)
I think it is not so easy to upload to the repos due to an old cmake.
Version 3.8 is needed and autobuilder has 2.6.3.
So first would be to update cmake and maybe this is not enough could be that you also need a newer gcc don't know.

You can't build CMake with the old compiler, it requires C++11 support meanwhile. I have documented in the GitHub wiki how I do it for my local development: https://github.com/osm2go/osm2go/wiki#cmake