maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The maemo Wikipedia Improvement Project (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18863)

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-08 07:34

The maemo Wikipedia Improvement Project

So back in January I decided to take a stab at improving the woefully neglected Wikipedia articles on maemo and the tablets (particularly maemo), and didn't get much further than putting together a sorry looking software stack table for the maemo article and a bit of general cleanup on the tablet articles.

I gave up pretty quickly, hoping that my small edits might kick-start some miraculous flurry of improvements—but no dice. :D So I've come back 4 months later to find there's been practically no improvement to any of the articles. That's a shame.

Anyway, I've got a bit more drive this time around, and would really like to see some real improvements take place. So I figured I'd try and drum up some support with something of a wiki-improvement notes and requests thread.

To begin:

Content on the tablet articles isn't bad, but they're still in need of a bit of cleanup and unification. Style, structure, and term usage (ITOS2008, OS2008, OS 2008, Internet Tablet OS2008, etc.) and need to be consistent across all articles.

The maemo article is the worst of the bunch. It has basically zero content and half again the organization. I'm planning on splitting the article up like this:
  1. Overview
  2. Internet Tablet OS
    • OS2005
    • OS2006
    • OS2007
    • OS2008
  3. maemo development platform

For now, my only requests are default-configuration screenshots (800x480, good quality) of OS2005-2008 (I have the equipment here, but not the willingness to nuke two devices ;)) (Edit: Got all of them. Thanks, Firebird8!) and some time investment in whatever way you see fit to any of the articles.

walshga 2008-04-08 14:46

Re: The maemo Wikipedia Improvement Project

Word GA!
I appreciate your generosity and determination re NIT Wikipedia articles. I'm a devoted Wikipedian, and would be glad to help. I've got three devices running OS '06, '07 (770 HE), & '08. Not clear on screenshot needs - by configuration, do you mean the default Home View, or the sequence of pages when first configuring a device (or both)? Also, which screenshot app do you think would work best? I've rarely used any of them. If you want to reply off list, drop me a line on my Wikipedia talk page (UN = walshga).
Peace,
Jim

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-08 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshga (Post 166829)
Not clear on screenshot needs - by configuration, do you mean the default Home View, or the sequence of pages when first configuring a device (or both)?

Basically, I'm looking for a newly flashed device just booted to the desktop with only default applets. I'd like to put together a timeline and update the OS screenshot to OS2008.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshga (Post 166829)
Also, which screenshot app do you think would work best?

Personally, I just use x11vnc (plus a sweet Quicksilver-hot-key invoked bash script that automagically crops, compresses, names, uploads, and sticks the URL into my clipboard :D), but osso-screenshot-tool should work fine, too.

Reading over some of the stuff I wrote last night, I see I should probably stick to editing when awake. Consistence and clarity seems to suffer a bit. :D

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-08 19:25

Alright, the first thing I'm willing to call a first draft is up.

The ITOS section (and subsections) are now at a minimum content level. In particular, more discussion of the major API, package and feature changes is needed (a little more content for each ITOS release than the Hacker Edition subsection would be good, I think).

The SDK section still needs to be created, but I'm mildly under equipped (having never actually used it, lacking well-supported hardware ;)). I'd say three, maybe four, paragraphs should be the minimum for the final product (overview, technical/component details, usage).

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-08 21:43

Another update.

Added some more screenshots and updated the article screenshot to OS2008. ;)

Few touch-ups here and there, added a stub for the SDK, still need lots more content.

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-18 13:52

Well, I can see meanwhile has contributed his unique brand of ******** to the maemo wiki page. :\

Edit: Wow, worse than I thought at first glance. The article has pretty much been completely screwed over. Several sections of steaming horseshit were added and there seem to be two intermingled (and overlapping) footnote numberings going on.

GeneralAntilles 2008-04-18 14:12

Evidently technical terms are now "buzzwords". . . .

Article is mostly cleaned up and back in some semblance of shape. :\

brontide 2008-04-18 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 171543)
Well, I can see meanwhile has contributed his unique brand of ******** to the maemo wiki page. :\

Sniff sniff... that BS smells familiar.

tabletrat 2008-04-18 15:35

OK, I just went and read it and I think it would be better having left it as a stub, as now it is just an article about how insecure the NITs are, with no actual information apart from the ramblings of a demented *****.

It would be nice if he went and got another platform to 'support'. It is lucky noone believes anything they read on wikipedia, as this matches!

meanwhile 2008-04-18 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 171553)
Evidently technical terms are now "buzzwords". . . .

Article is mostly cleaned up and back in some semblance of shape. :\

And someone should read his user page and the wikipedia guidelines...