maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   N900 daily Work in 2017? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98735)

tschakram 2017-01-14 09:56

N900 daily Work in 2017?

Hello Maemo Team,

I am a Fan of the Nokia N900 because it was the Best Phone in the last Years. I was very happy to See that the Community is working on it till 2017. Respect!
Did somebody use the N900 as his primary mobile? What Setting,Setup and Programms Are the stables and working good?
Thanks for answers

sicelo 2017-01-14 20:59

Re: N900 daily Work in 2017?

It is primary mobile for me. 'Everything' is stable too :)
Of course Facebook Chat no longer works, but that's the only thing I can remember. Skype still works (with videos too), ActiveSync works (I have it setup with a business Office365 account)

All the 'linux' things are still working good as well

tschakram 2017-01-15 16:59

That s great,

Thanks for the answer.I reload my N900 and update. I read in the Forum that a 200 GB Mirco sd will Work. What Did You use?

biketool 2017-01-15 19:19

Daily user with kernel power and CSSU thumb, I also support a Cyanogen Nexus7 tablet via bluetooth tethering.
I mostly use email, panucci for audio books, Open Media Player for music, some Palm games, camera and phot sharing via MMS or email, Sygic still works good for offline GPS, RTL-SDR for some radio hacking stuff, 'USB mode' to read flash drive, qtqr for reading qr codes, mstardict for language conversion dictionaries, heysms to let me have SMS conversations over wifi/bluetooth networking using my computer and bonjour, and calendar to sync with google calendar alerts, oh yes phone and sms. So many thing you just cant do with an android or apple.
The cyanogen tablet with a bigger screen and up to date browser picks up the slack for microB and also lets me add credit to my NFC transit card and has a better torrent client(though qtrapids still works if you can get the torrent files, not magnet links) I can also do limited 3d modeling and and some very narrow atmel/arduino code check and field upload; but my N900 is still my almost always/everyday mobile computing device and phone the tablet and keyboard folio is only for when I will be away for a while and need a browser but cant schlep my big laptop.

Roth 2017-01-15 21:06

I still use mine, but I'll need to replace the battery pack soon since it keeps shutting down randomly. I like to use it mainly as a music player now.
I remember last looking for the universal remote apps (ie. Irreco) on N900, N810, and N800, and they no longer function as they should since the online services are shut down so we can't download UI templates/layouts. But there's another one called Raemote (stylized as RĉMote) that I'll wanna try out.

biketool 2017-01-16 06:38

Roth, in any case I have always found the IR emitter on the N900 to be underpowered for most use beyond a meter or two. I have had very limited success with the tvbgone widget.

sicelo 2017-01-16 08:05

Not sure if I'm not OT, but Pierogi is a good remote controller application for N900. Also, it is actively managed AND you can even ask the developer to implement a remote control(subject to availability of course)

GameboyRMH 2017-01-16 14:06

I'm still using mine as my only phone, with kernel-power, overclocked and many speed tweaks to the OS. There's not much functionality a new phone would have that you can't get by installing apps from the repos...I'll just point out the troublesome parts.

Browsing isn't a surefire thing anymore. YouTube doesn't work well on the browser even with some of the later leaked Flash releases. If MicroB doesn't work with a site I use Macuco, but that isn't a sure thing either - it seems to have trouble with newer SSL certificates/protocols. Sometimes I have to fall back to Lynx on Debian chroot.

There's no Whatsapp anymore (RIP Yappari) and it's too popular to ignore, unfortunately, so that's an annoyance.

Bluetooth was always a bit limited and troublesome on the N900 (it works more like a desktop PC and doesn't work well with a lot of "phone gear," especially headsets) and it hasn't been updated to work with many newer devices.

Other than those, no problems really.

sicelo 2017-01-16 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH (Post 1522085)
Bluetooth was always a bit limited and troublesome on the N900 (it works more like a desktop PC and doesn't work well with a lot of "phone gear," especially headsets) and it hasn't been updated to work with many newer devices.

Never had headset trouble myself. Always worked good, except once when I broke the configration trying to turn the N900 into a bluetooth headset (which i succeeded in doing) :-)

tschakram 2017-01-17 19:12

Thanks,

Many interessting Posts. I searched for the latest powerkernel for overclocking and the speed tweaks. Did anyone know a good tutorial for the latest?

Without WhatsApp its Not so easy in this days. So many people use it and Theres now thinking about Privacy. But when you Make Business Theres no way Without.

I searched for a good jabber Client. Did somebody have a favorit?

ravelo 2017-01-17 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschakram (Post 1522154)
Thanks,
Without WhatsApp its Not so easy in this days.

I read that WhatsApp works in Nitdroid, a special Android version for N900. The install files of Nitdroid can be found in some archive.org/...- page.

peterleinchen 2017-01-17 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravelo (Post 1522163)
I read that WhatsApp works in Nitdroid, a special Android version for N900. The install files of Nitdroid can be found in some archive.org/...- page.

And I read that WattsThat removed support for older Android versions already.

Re jabber: for me it works with the default conversation client (telepathy).

wicket 2017-01-18 16:25

Quote:

Without WhatsApp its Not so easy in this days. So many people use it and Theres now thinking about Privacy. But when you Make Business Theres no way Without.

WhatsApp's privacy is a lie.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ypted-messages

Halftux 2017-01-18 17:34

Quote:

No way without privacy or WhatsApp?
I have no WhatsApp and I am still alive and can make business.
To use whatsapp in business is not very professional the same goes to google docs in my opinion.

Quote:

I searched for a good jabber Client. Did somebody have a favorit?

The default conversation works and is good implemented.
When you would like to try something more powerful you can have a look at psi but this is not good for running 24/7.

hardy_magnus 2017-01-19 12:32

i have been using my nokia n900 device again for over a week now and its good to see everthing working, now-a-days i keep downloading multimedia stuff from cutetube 2 and musikloud2 , nice and easy. nokia n900 - this thing is a b*mb man.( watching martin too much).

Wasmachinemann-NL 2017-01-19 16:51

Rockbox, Notes and that's about it.

jonwil 2017-01-22 11:26

I still use my N900 as my daily use phone and I wouldn't downgrade to an iOS or Android device even if someone gave me one for free.

jurop88 2017-01-22 20:34

N900 is still my swiss-knife and task manager, taskwarrior rocks!

tschakram 2017-02-07 14:09

Thanks great,

What Kind of syncprogram Did You use? I read about Office 365 and neuvasynv to sync contacts and calender. I wanted to use syncevolution for caldav and carddav to posteo but i get a ssl error.

sicelo 2017-02-07 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschakram (Post 1522964)
Thanks great,

What Kind of syncprogram Did You use? I read about Office 365 and neuvasynv to sync contacts and calender. I wanted to use syncevolution for caldav and carddav to posteo but i get a ssl error.

Please be specific ... error messages? etc.

Office 365 definitely works on N900 .. I can attest to that, and sync for calendar, tasks, contacts, and mail works just fine with O365

Wasmachinemann-NL 2017-03-25 16:20

I'm going on my 6th year of owning N900s and I don't want another phone.

Still use mine daily for Rockbox and Notes!

Flandry 2017-04-11 18:30

Browsed maemo.org for the first time in a couple years today because i miss a lot of things from my N900 (most lately in focus was Conboy, as i tried again to find a note taking program for android i like half as much). Was asking myself why i ever gave up on my 2 N900s and thought i'd edc one for a few days to see how it went.

It turns out that the reason i stopped edc of the N900 was because one has a broken digitizer and one has a dead backlight -- and both have very sketchy microUSB port connectivity at this point. It's unfortunate that the display components on these were so susceptible to the subtropical humidity here because i haven't liked as much the build and keyboard of any other phone i've had since.

Back to OP: now that i think back, I think it was the browser limitations that were the main reason i didn't buy another N900 when these died. If you are willing to carry a tablet or don't do much browsing on your phone, i think the N900 could easily do for edc. In this era of increasing information security threats etc. it would probably be a smart thing to do.

m4r0v3r 2017-04-11 19:42

the only downside is lack of processing power for all these fancy js websites, other than that I see no real issues with it

nthn 2017-04-11 21:55

Severely outdated device security, maybe, although security by obscurity is better than nothing.

pichlo 2017-04-12 05:35

@Flandry, subtropical humidity in Boston? :confused::p
Just out of interest, what is this edc you talk about? Never heard that before...

NX500 2017-04-12 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1526778)
Just out of interest, what is this edc you talk about? Never heard that before...

EDC = Every day carry

hardy_magnus 2017-04-12 11:34

yesterday i put my nokia n900 back into the drawer, days of nokia n900 are over now, been using sailfish for the last 4 months but i will try my luck with andr*id now.
where are smileys? how can i put a sad smiley here?

pichlo 2017-04-12 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardy_magnus (Post 1526788)
where are smileys? how can i put a sad smiley here?

'Go Advanced'. You will get a selection of smileys on the right.

Re N900 - I recently upgraded from Sailfish to Maemo but everybody already knows that :D

hardy_magnus 2017-04-12 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1526795)
'Go Advanced'. You will get a selection of smileys on the right.

Re N900 - I recently upgraded from Sailfish to Maemo but everybody already knows that :D

thanks for showing me the way ( smileys ) :D:D

after leaving Fremantle for a couple of days i always come back, can't live without maemo ;) but this time i definitely need a rooted 4g volte enabled andr*oid wingman for n900.

@ pichlo - since sailfish is based on android drivers, so is a rooted andr*id without gapps better than sailfish ? i think its a bit off-topic, sorry

Wikiwide 2017-04-15 14:57

Still using N900. Should replace its touchscreen somewhen, scratched too much (this particular device didn't have screen protector in time, should remember to put one when upgrading the touchscreen). Qwerty keypad scratched a little, too, for that matter; and should remove dust and sand (this white thing inside gets scratched too easily though). And still haven't got the courage to do anything about broken off microUSB ports yet (too tiny and too fragile). Calls, SMS, IM (IRC), camera (photographs), light webbrowsing (MicroB, since Fennec is slow, and Opera isn't much of a help), email(Modest), ssh-X-ing (since FontForge doesn't seem to work on Maemo; could anybody please try it out?), music and occasionally video (with stock mediaplayer; wish I knew how to get it to display lyrics for videos and subtitles for songs, as well as support MIDI). I seem to generate problems; even AutoComplete Editor doesn't recognise the language anymore (ID 0) while auto-complete does work.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

sirvival 2017-04-15 20:12

The good:
hardware keyboard
sturdiness
still working
maemo

The bad:
dated browser
old kernel (probably unsave)

Still use the Phone as everyday device. I manage to drop it at least once a month on concrete. So the sturdiness is a big plus. I do not browse the web alot with the phone but when I do its not the speed thats a problem but webpages not loading correctly.
I know in the long run a new phone is needed but since I need a physical keyboard the options are limited (maybe blackberry). but new phones are way to large.

Soki 2017-05-03 15:23

Hi mates

How do you recon, as a galaxy s6 user, is there a good chance of me using n900 these days? I do browse webpages, but only forums and mobile pages. Will n900 deliver?

Also i do.like to watch yt in 480p, how this is working on maemo? I do not play any games at all, i am kind of geek and always wanted to have a n900.

Btw ive already bought the unit in a perfect condition ("unused"), so anyway ill give it a try.

sicelo 2017-05-03 15:38

No idea about S6, but I have an S4 (gift).

The S4 has better resources than N900 (RAM and CPU) and with CM13, performs way better than it did when I got it.

However, N900 is still my primary device. I'm learning Python at the moment, and have tried Kivy and QPython on Android . . . and the experience is not comparable to N900 (although running older python)

YT - there is cutetube2, and you may or may not enjoy using it.
Web pages - most people report that the default browser (MicroB) is no longer good for their needs. Incidentally, it still works great for many of the pages that *I* browse.

So yes, N900 is really old device now. No escaping that. But it still kicks ***
And the HWKBD does a good job of compensating for the N900's flaws - typing on Android with or without Swipe just doesn't compare. Trying to use terminal type applications (connectbot, termux, irssi) on the Android VKBD is just painful, at least for me.

Since you already bought it - use it, and tell us how you find the experience . . . There's nothing wrong with not enjoying it - you can just sell it to someone that likes it better :p

I wouldn't mind obtaining a third one

Soki 2017-05-03 16:01

Thank you very much for you opinion :)
I will get it,probably, in few days, sure ill post my experience with the device :)

I am finding all new devices to be boring - same shapes, almost same oses, same aps :/

Soki 2017-05-05 11:41

So i reived the unit today and omg :D the fully working xterm etc. Amazing.

It feels dated for sure but for my needs its fine :)

salahkhani 2017-05-08 06:04

I just came back to my precious Monster N900 after 3 and half year ditching it and working on some Modifications on it

Comparing to Android and other Tech devices I still see this device is still on track even though it is 2009 product.

Love it as my personal phone (Secondary) cause I am relaying on it for Work

The main reason I loved this device cause it's introduced me to Linux world and am using Ubuntu on my laptop and still learning.

daza 2017-05-19 17:15

(Translated in Google)

Hi

I currently use my N900 as HTTP server (local), DLNA server, FTP server (local and as DVI), WiFi intruder scanner (with low battery and intruder warning via Telegram)

PMaff 2017-05-20 17:09

I am still using my N900 as everyday phone.
Lately synchronisation with my outlook mailbox does not work
but I am not sure if this is a fault of the IT at work.

The handy is not overclocked or changed in any way.

Browsing websites is slow now and many websites do not show
up at all.
maps.ovi.com is down so I cannot use the maps program, it searches
endlessly - if anybody knows where I can edit that in /etc or somewhere else that would be a plus.

So maybe the N900 will end it's life as first phone if nobody comes
up with a solution for maps, webbrowsing, but maybe it will have a
2nd life as the heart of some robot? :)
Where was that development environment for Maemo?

sicelo 2017-05-20 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMaff (Post 1528199)
Lately synchronisation with my outlook mailbox does not work
but I am not sure if this is a fault of the IT at work.

Maybe syslog can show you what the problem is - otherwise for me, outlook.com email syncs just fine, as well as hosted Office 365. The only one I cannot use is the internal outlook exchange mailbox due to provisioning (admin permissions). Since it sounds like yours worked before, I doubt that is your problem. Syslog is your friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMaff (Post 1528199)
maps.ovi.com is down so I cannot use the maps program, it searches
endlessly - if anybody knows where I can edit that in /etc or somewhere else that would be a plus.

you never had the maps? because yes N900 cannot download maps anymore. One workaround that worked the last time I checked was to use Ovi Suite on a Windows pc to get the maps. I do not know if you can still get Ovi Suite, and if it still works. You can try.

And of course there are open source map applications, modrana being the favorite of most existing N900 users

PMaff 2017-05-20 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicelo (Post 1528204)
Maybe syslog can show you what the problem is - otherwise for me, outlook.com email syncs just fine, as well as hosted Office 365. The only one I cannot use is the internal outlook exchange mailbox due to provisioning (admin permissions). Since it sounds like yours worked before, I doubt that is your problem. Syslog is your friend.

Afaics I have to install syslog first, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicelo (Post 1528204)
you never had the maps? because yes N900 cannot download maps anymore. One workaround that worked the last time I checked was to use Ovi Suite on a Windows pc to get the maps. I do not know if you can still get Ovi Suite, and if it still works. You can try.

And of course there are open source map applications, modrana being the favorite of most existing N900 users

I had the maps and it was working as any navigation aid.
But since ovi-maps is down the application does not even start.
What I need would be the knowledge where I can change
the entry of maps.ovi.com to something else.