maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   When N9 comes out will you still use maemo.org? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65897)

casper27 2010-11-19 19:08

When N9 comes out will you still use maemo.org?

A couple of questions I have been pondering and have not resolved in my head yet either.
When the N9 comes out with Meego on board the people that buy one, will you still come to meemo.org?
I ask as obviously there is now meego.com which will no doubt expand into a vibrant forum. The biggest plus for maemo ,n770,n800,n810 and n900, has and always will be this community and forum.
Will maemo.org expand with a Meego sub forum? Should it even encroach in that area?
I know people will still develop for maemo for many years to come but things move on with the times.I think it will be a very sad day if/when this community gets broken up into sub factions of OS's to come in the future.
What does everyone else think? Or indeed if any of the Admins/Mods know what is going to happen?

atilla 2010-11-19 19:37

Re: When N9 comes out will you still use maemo.org?

i would like that but i don`t know how it will be handled with meego...

casper27 2010-11-19 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by atilla (Post 878238)
i would like that but i don`t know how it will be handled with meego...

You would like what? That meemo.org expand to cover meego?

Rauha 2010-11-19 20:06

I'll be definately staying here. Don't like Meego.com at all. It's for people much smarter than me. Or members of Community Action Panel For Effective Working Group For Community Activation Activities. Oh and for people who can find the forum hidden under about 10 mouse clicks.

tissot 2010-11-19 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 878273)
I'll be definately staying here. Don't like Meego.com at all. It's for people much smarter than me. Or members of Community Action Panel For Effective Working Group For Community Activation Activities. Oh and for people who can find the forum hidden under about 10 mouse clicks.

Heh you can say that again.
If N9 will have harmattan inside then technically discussion about it should be here rather than on the Meego.com forum side.

Anyways love the layout of this forum and i doubt that N9 will lower the activity in here so i will be staying here for sure.

TiagoTiago 2010-11-19 20:16

IMO they shouldn't have split the community, instead of creating a parallel site they should have just redirected the URL on either site to a shared one.

lemmyslender 2010-11-19 20:17

I believe that meego.com is supposed to be for MeeGo *development* only. They believe that device support should be separate from the forums there. From what I understood, if you have questions about how to use a particular api in the app you are developing, it's the right place. If you have questions about using an app or bug reports, etc (other than perhaps for core apps), wrong place. I don't think that there will be a N9 section in the forum.

I believe that there are already a couple of forums out there that are ready and waiting for meego devices. Frankly, I think TMO will be a ghost of its' former self within a year once a meego device appears.

SAABoy 2010-11-19 20:19

Maybe the question should be when you buy an n9 will you still use maemo.org? :P

If I buy one, I will still use maemo.org

geneven 2010-11-19 20:32

I think this is a dumb question. I will continue to come to maemo.org as long as it has things of value for me. Even if nuclear powered cell phones come out.

etuoyo 2010-11-19 20:49

I think there is a real sense of community here and we are familiar with this site. Also truth be told most members of the site are sort of anti-mainstream. It is expected that N9 will be a mainstream device unlike N900 which is a niche device. So I would expect that those of us that have been using this site since the N900 came out will continue to use it and the mainstream who have taken up meego will use meego.com. May be better that way.

atilla 2010-11-19 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 878309)
I think there is a real sense of community here and we are familiar with this site. Also truth be told most members of the site are sort of anti-mainstream. It is expected that N9 will be a mainstream device unlike N900 which is a niche device. So I would expect that those of us that have been using this site since the N900 came out will continue to use it and the mainstream who have taken up meego will use meego.com. May be better that way.

nice words ;)
anyway i will stay and i hope that TMO will welcome my meego questions :)

fasza2 2010-11-19 21:01

Why not port maemo to n9 dual boot style? :P

geneven 2010-11-19 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 878309)

Yes. For me I am interested in minimizing most expenses, and staying away from the mainstream helps.

bakuur 2010-11-19 21:34

its just like family here , setting aside the sarcasim and the harsh words from some members
but its still just like family
i never had a problem that couldnt be solved over here
i was asked to join the nokia fourm but screw that
maemo.org rocks!!
even though i never liked this orange theme but you end up liking it!
great ideas are generated over here, so any developer with a proper mind will always come back here for inspiration...

quipper8 2010-11-19 21:49

well, there are some of us that were upset that they changed it from internet tablet talk in the first place...

maybe they should change it back

snuski 2010-11-19 22:09

isnt the phone named E7??? and will have symbian 3 but will be upgraded to meego in the future thats what i heard somewhere

casper27 2010-11-19 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by quipper8 (Post 878349)
well, there are some of us that were upset that they changed it from internet tablet talk in the first place...

Yeah I remember well. Could be an option depends on how the Admins handle it.
@ geneven
The question was asked as a generalisation as I my self would still visit here if I bought a Meego device such as the N9.
I was trying to get at the fact this is a maemo website and although like most people on here have said their questions would probably still be answered but would it be accepted by the admins and mods on here.
Look at the responses from them regarding directing to the NitDroid site for questions/answers.

atilla 2010-11-19 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by snuski (Post 878359)
isnt the phone named E7??? and will have symbian 3 but will be upgraded to meego in the future thats what i heard somewhere

no and no.
its called n9 and it will have meego

SAABoy 2010-11-20 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by snuski (Post 878359)

E7 has symbian^3 and will be updatable to symbian^4.

afaq 2010-11-20 00:41

They just need to sort out the forum template for Meego.com. It reminds me too much of other cluttered, but standard views that most sites use. It creates an impersonal, and very task oriented feel. In TMO, I can come here to just browse without a reason - whereas in Meego.com it encourages the reader/user to filter through links to seek a particular outcome.

All i'm saying is change Meego.com to encourage this community feel. Change happens, but there are good ways to transition between the two OS's.

SD69 2010-11-20 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender (Post 878289)
I believe that meego.com is supposed to be for MeeGo *development* only. They believe that device support should be separate from the forums there. From what I understood, if you have questions about how to use a particular api in the app you are developing, it's the right place. If you have questions about using an app or bug reports, etc (other than perhaps for core apps), wrong place. I don't think that there will be a N9 section in the forum.

This is more or less correct.

Plus, the N9 will be based on MeeGo OS but Nokia will add a differentiating UI - sort of how different phone manufacturers put their own unique UI on top of Android. Depending on how maemo-like the N9's UI is, then maemo.org might be a good place to find people interested in it.

fasza2 2010-11-20 03:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by afaq (Post 878438)
All i'm saying is change Meego.com to encourage this community feel. Change happens, but there are good ways to transition between the two OS's.

To my best knowlege meego.com is the official site, not the community site. The community site is: meego.org ;)

tzsm98 2010-11-20 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasza2 (Post 878502)
To my best knowlege meego.com is the official site, not the community site. The community site is: meego.org ;)

The MeeGo Forums link at meego.org points to meego.com. That is not encouraging.

lma 2010-11-20 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper27 (Post 878205)
When the N9 comes out with Meego on board

It won't. Whether it will come out at all is still an open question, but if it does it will come with Harmattan, which is really Maemo 6 with the serial numbers filed off.

RevdKathy 2010-11-20 09:51

I'm going to point the council to this thread, as the long term future of the community here is definitely something we have to think about, and people's opinions are very important.

I think it's safe to say that maemo.org will be around for a while yet, and we have a dedicated forum for meego-harmattan, which is what the n9 will be running (it's a little less meego than pure meego, as I understand it). There is certainly no plan to push everyone over to meego.com in anything like the near future.

I'm also interested in people's feelings about meego.com. I certainly agree about the accessibility of the forums (already *****in' about that) and at the moment the feel of the place is very dev/pro orientated. A bunch of people having a meego device to work on is slowly starting to change that, but it's slow. It's also not intended to have dedicated forums for devices or even vendors, so a specific forum for the n9 wouldn't be there. Providing that might well be the furture for this place.

debernardis 2010-11-20 10:11

I don't think that either the 770, or the N8X0, or the N900 would have been the great success among geeks that they are without *this* - exactly *this* - community, which attracted very peculiar people: sometimes childish, sometimes Asperger-ish, even antisocial at times (I have fond memories of some threads some years ago ;) ) but always exceptionally talented.
Devs, enthusiasts, bloggers, power users, power lusers and bears - self-selected for the interest in fiddling and hacking some non-mainstream gizmos - have made it a very creative place, and where you get both fun and good ideas to empower yourself in your use of pocketable computers.
I - for me - I am going to stay here. :)

Jaffa 2010-11-20 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevdKathy (Post 878638)
I'm going to point the council to this thread, as the long term future of the community here is definitely something we have to think about, and people's opinions are very important.

Indeed, but there's a lot of navel-gazing going on when:
  • We don't know when the N9 will be released, apart from "2011".
  • We don't know how Maemo-ish it'll feel under the covers.
  • All the apps which feel like MeeGo apps will be written in MTF or QML.
  • We don't know how many people who use maemo.org will buy an N9.

Is it worth saying "I'm still going to be here?" Given people could be hit by a bus, you never know what's going to happen in the future - without hypothesizing about what'll happen when an unreleased, unannounced and largely unknown device is released.

Quote:

I think it's safe to say that maemo.org will be around for a while yet, and we have a dedicated forum for meego-harmattan,
Isn't it MeeGo-Harmattan HE? ICBW.

Quote:

There is certainly no plan to push everyone over to meego.com in anything like the near future.
Nor ever, I'd say. I increasingly think that the level of overlap between the technology and applications will be so minimal that moving maemo.org to meego.com would never make sense.

However, things like the MeeGo Community OBS are providing benefit to maemo.org (and Harmattan) by replacing the maemo.org auto builder.

Quote:

I'm also interested in people's feelings about meego.com. I certainly agree about the accessibility of the forums (already *****in' about that) and at the moment the feel of the place is very dev/pro orientated. A bunch of people having a meego device to work on is slowly starting to change that, but it's slow.
It'll change overnight once the N9 is announced, and again when it goes on sale. meego.com is in exactly the same situation as maemo.org and ITT in (say) October 2005, a month or two before an actual device went on sale.

Quote:

It's also not intended to have dedicated forums for devices or even vendors, so a specific forum for the n9 wouldn't be there. Providing that might well be the furture for this place.
Perhaps; although Quim and Dawn have recently both been pro-making forum.meego.com a general hub. Certainly MeeGo doesn't need the fragmentation of the Android and iOS communities (if a singular community for those OSes actually exists).

It's also worth thinking that the amount of N9 specific stuff would be fairly minimal: we've seen here that most discussion actually relates to applications for, and modifications of, an OS release.

What'd be N9 specific?
  • Debian packaging. Hopefully dealt with by Qt Creator plugins & OBS.
  • Cases. Can't imagine this being a particularly excited and long running discussion.
  • Extended batteries? USB external ones are relevant for lots of devices, and Nokia seem to be moving in the direction of sealed units for their high-end devices.
  • Other hardware add-ons? Sure, but again - it's going to be dwarfed by app and OS discussions.

debernardis 2010-11-20 18:35

Sealed batteries terrify me. I have always trusted in the last resort to reset a staled device - pull the battery out. I've done that with my NITs at times. But then if battery is sealed, what could one do?

tissot 2010-11-20 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 878927)
Sealed batteries terrify me. I have always trusted in the last resort to reset a staled device - pull the battery out. I've done that with my NITs at times. But then if battery is sealed, what could one do?

I have hacked my ipod touch many times and been in many kind of situations where you just think the device must be dead now, but with different button combinations i have always managed to bring it back to life. Easiest being the 10 sec power button thing that serves as battery out.
N8 also got the push power button for 10 sec for hard reset that unfortunately reading some forums many old time Nokia users have no idea. Also worked on my Zune HD.

With N8 i don't mind it all as you can still access the battery, just not easily. But when it's totally locked and you can't change the battery yourself things can get complicated. Still not a deal breaker for me though.

geneven 2010-11-20 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by quipper8 (Post 878349)

Of course they should. The name Maemo.org is a recipe for obsolescence. The name InternetTabletTalk is a recipe for permanent relevance.

volt 2010-11-20 19:12

I prefer the black background on white text, though.

For me, sealed battery is a deal breaker. I will NOT buy the N9 if it's sealed with anti-consumer thinking. That is the exact reason why I buy no Sony products.

!!Nokia N900!! 2010-11-20 19:18

sorry to say, but ( wat a Q)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it will be merged with MeeGo

volt 2010-11-20 19:21

It's not (yet) certain that it will. Complex site ownership.

SAABoy 2010-11-20 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by volt (Post 878944)
I prefer the black background on white text, though.

For me, sealed battery is a deal breaker. I will NOT buy the N9 if it's sealed with anti-consumer thinking. That is the exact reason why I buy no Sony products.

can you deny the potential benefits of having a sealed battery though? Takes up less space?

volt 2010-11-21 00:24

The benefits of having a somewhat slimmer phone with a sealed battery is minute next to the fact that the battery lifetime in practice decides the phone lifetime, thereby diminishing both 1st and 2nd hand value. Apart from all practical solutions it deprives you of, like having a 2nd charged battery ready in your pocket. The only benefits of locking in the battery, belongs to the manufacturer, while the consumer gets all the downsides. And there are many.

If you want a slimmer phone, buy one without all the extra hardware Nokia puts in. That'll unchub it good.

Tiptronic 2010-11-21 00:27

This site will probable be redirected to meego. Which is pretty normal.

lma 2010-11-21 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiptronic (Post 879119)
This site will probable be redirected to meego. Which is pretty normal.

No, control of maemo.org has been/is in the process of being (not sure) handed over to the community with Nemein as the legal owner. See this thread for more details.

efekt 2010-11-21 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAABoy (Post 878416)
E7 has symbian^3 and will be updatable to symbian^4.

There would be no such thing as "Symbian^4" in the near future, as I understand it.
Nokia has announced that Symbian^3 will just get upgraded all the time and gain new features and functionalities, instead of being upgraded to Symbian^4.
This is Nokia's plan, anyways...