maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Nokia N900 will be officially launched in Hong Kong on May 5th - with PR1.2 & extra goodies! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50848)

amandalam 2010-04-23 17:40

Nokia N900 will be officially launched in Hong Kong on May 5th - with PR1.2 & extra goodies!

According to Chinese.WindAndMac.com, Nokia will officially announce the Nokia N900 Hong Kong Edition in a press conference to be held on next Thursday (April 29th 2010). Stocks will be immediately available in local shops thereafter.

Wilson Communications Limited, a company that operates eletronic product retail chain stores in Hong Kong, has worked with Nokia Hong Kong to organize an N900 experience session in Mongkok last night (April 23rd 2010). Alan Mok, Product Marketing Manager, GTM Markets, Nokia Hong Kong and Macau, gave a brief introduction of the forthcoming N900 Hong Kong edition to the attendees.

In addition to the features that we already know, I was a bit surprised to see the following features being mentioned and demonstrated:
  • Nokia has not provided any official Chinese support up to the current firmware version (PR1.1.1). Currently, Chinese users who bought their N900 from overseas would have to use community-created UI and MSCIM input method packages. In last night's session, Nokia demonstrated the Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese User Interfaces and input method support that would be provided as built-in features in Nokia N900 Hong Kong Edition. The official Chinese UI look and feel very similar to the community-created versions. Built-in input methods provided are Cangjei, Pinyin, Zhuyin, and the Chinese handwriting solution developed by Penpower, These input methods all based on the MSCIM engine, created and maintained by FirstFan and maintained by the communities.

• The Hong Kong edition will have the yet-to-be-released Maemo 5 PR1.2 built in. New features include enhanced application menu, night mode camera, and many more new features and bug fixes. Full change log can be found here.
  • The Hong Kong edition will NOT provide the FM transmitter hardware and software due to legal restrictions in Hong Kong. However, FM radio module will still be provided.
  • The N900 Hong Kong edition will also be the first smartphone ever to support Skype and Google Talk video conferencing. I'm not sure if this is part of the PR1.2 features, but this is really a great feature that must be highlighted. However, native 3G video call is still not yet supported.

As an existing N900 user based in Hong Kong, I really wish that I can download the Hong Kong edition firmware from the Nokia N900 firmware site so that I can flash it to my US-edition phone. I wish I can also get the PenPower Chinese handwriting solution from either the Hong Kong edition firmware; or through a free / paid download from Ovi Store.

Of course, it will even be better if Nokia can release the PR1.2 firmware to all language variants as soon as possible!!;)

wmarone 2010-04-23 17:42

Re: Nokia N900 will be officially launched in Hong Kong - with PR1.2 built-in and some extra goodies!!

I wonder if this means that song sorting in the media player is fixed for, hopefully all, Asian languages.

Do you know if the handwriting input engine is open source?

biggzy 2010-04-23 17:46

Re: Nokia N900 will be officially launched in Hong Kong - with PR1.2 built-in and some extra goodies!!

sounds good, sounds like we may get PR1.2 next week as it will be on the chinese n900

Dunsurfin 2010-04-23 18:04

So I guess Tuesday 27th April is when we may see PR 1.2 as an update.

(or rather this is my hope).

I must admit not having the FM transmitter hardware and software would have made me less likely to purchase the N900. This feature makes the N900 a great device for road trips.

HtheB 2010-04-23 18:08

- *man writes on the N900*
- character shown on the N900
- Crowd goes:* OOOOOH.... *

Lol... :D I like the video

kojacker 2010-04-23 18:10

If pr 1.2 will be installed on handsets to be shipped and sold in Hong Kong by next week (on the 27th), then it's clearly been finished for some time. Release it for the rest of us, already!!

kennibal 2010-04-23 18:10

Hope next week has something for us -- current and long-time (early bird) N900 users..

HtheB 2010-04-23 18:19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwP1bW7ieaM

Is this PR1.2 on his device???

GameboyRMH 2010-04-23 18:19

So my guess of an April 30th release for Pr1.2 might be spot on :D In any case it should be somewhere around the 29th.

sjgadsby 2010-04-23 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin (Post 624800)
I must admit not having the FM transmitter hardware and software would have made me less likely to purchase the N900.

That's why god qwerty12 gave us fmtx-faker.

amandalam 2010-04-23 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 624813)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwP1bW7ieaM

Is this PR1.2 on his device???

I made this video and my N900 is a PR1.1.1 one (US edition). I just installed MSCIM and that's why I can type Chinese.

HtheB 2010-04-23 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandalam (Post 624820)
I made this video and my N900 is a PR1.1.1 one (US edition). I just installed MSCIM and that's why I can type Chinese.

Thnx for clarifying the situation :)

mcdull 2010-04-23 20:30

Quote:

An official chinese support is very welcomed.
I uninstalled MSCIM once I realized it disabled the virtual keyboard and english dictionary

mcdull 2010-04-23 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin (Post 624800)
So I guess Tuesday 27th April is when we may see PR 1.2 as an update.

(or rather this is my hope).

I must admit not having the FM transmitter hardware and software would have made me less likely to purchase the N900. This feature makes the N900 a great device for road trips.

I hope they will include the Chinese support in the international version firmware soon, or some good soul here will make a custom firmware combining the goodies.

~phoenix~ 2010-04-23 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 624819)
That's why god qwerty12 gave us fmtx-faker.

hmm.... what do u what to fake when the hw is missing.... read proper.... there is only a reciever and no transmitter...

larrykwok 2010-04-23 20:52

Quote:

Amanda I have always been wishing to thank you for your hard work on the input method pack! I'm from Hong Kong and I must say the decision to acquire a N900 is mostly fuelled by the your input method. Thank you very much.

I was trying to establish a Hong Kong or I should say a traditional Chinese community for N900. Any suggestions or it there's some out there except Mobile01 please do let me know.

Once again thank you very much for your great attitude in developing N900.

Laughing Man 2010-04-23 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandalam (Post 624772)
According to Chinese.WindAndMac.com, Nokia will officially announce the Nokia N900 Hong Kong Edition in a press conference to be held on next Thursday (April 29th 2010). Stocks will be immediately available in local shops thereafter.

[*]The N900 Hong Kong edition will also be the first smartphone ever to support Skype and Google Talk video conferencing. I'm not sure if this is part of the PR1.2 features, but this is really a great feature that must be highlighted. However, native 3G video call is still not yet supported. [/LIST]

I wonder if the Skype videoconferencing is true. Or if it's a journalist/blogger misinterpreting SIPP and Google Talk video chat.

smoku 2010-04-23 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ (Post 625060)
hmm.... what do u what to fake when the hw is missing.... read proper.... there is only a reciever and no transmitter...

Yup. They physically removed it from the chip. With a chisel. :rolleyes:

Read: There is only one board for the N900. When it is shipped to some countries, the transmitter is being disabled.

tzsm98 2010-04-23 22:06

Hong Kong 1.2 will probably be ripped and available for download within hours of its release. Then we can either sit back and watch the re-coding to get it useful for the latin/cyrillic world or jump in; as ur talents allow. I'll be sitting back watching as my coding days ended when my Commodore 64 quit working.

programming: where x=x+1 not only true but necessary!

sony123 2010-04-23 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrykwok (Post 625062)
I was trying to establish a Hong Kong or I should say a traditional Chinese community for N900. Any suggestions or it there's some out there except Mobile01 please do let me know.

Off topic but in respond to your question, I think there is none... if you want to set up a site, maybe I can contribute...

maxximuscool 2010-04-23 22:42

Finally!!! THE long await PR1.2 is coming out to HONG KONG!! But where is mine??
USA N900

gabby131 2010-04-23 22:59

yeah! i hope this new firmware is still OVERCLOCKable

Venemo 2010-04-23 23:08

Good news.
I hope this will bring PR 1.2 to Europe, too.

trips 2010-04-23 23:13

good news. i wonder if it will officially hit australian shores.

jflatt 2010-04-23 23:25

^^^ Yes, let's combine all threads into this ONE.

nMIK-3 2010-04-23 23:30

Looks like video calls for both Skype and GTalk is been confirmed for PR 1.2. Very nice :)

wallace1989 2010-04-23 23:41

finally 1.2 is near
heeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

lgarratt 2010-04-23 23:56

release on april 27th would make a nice bday present for me!

don't want to lose the overclock though, i couldn't go back to 600!

Salatheel 2010-04-24 00:50

little bit OT: few weeks ago I was visiting Hong Kong and I was about to buy 16GB microSD card to my n900. Seller offered me 8GB card with prize just belove 1600HKD. I asked why it's so expensive. He tried to explain me that N900 can use that kind of microSD card as like extra swap memory having some kind of micro prosessor inside. I did not believe him. Now I regret why did I not even test it. Memory card _just for storage_ was 600HKD (16GB).
Have you ever heard about that kind of "special" microSD ? In my opinion he was BStting me.

Laughing Man 2010-04-24 00:54

He was bsing you...sortof. The N900 won't do that by default, but if you hacked around with the N900 you could get it to do it.

He was probably thinking of the n800 and n810 where that was common.

Benson 2010-04-24 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salatheel (Post 625315)
little bit OT: few weeks ago I was visiting Hong Kong and I was about to buy 16GB microSD card to my n900. Seller offered me 8GB card with prize just belove 1600HKD. I asked why it's so expensive. He tried to explain me that N900 can use that kind of microSD card as like extra swap memory having some kind of micro prosessor inside. I did not believe him. Now I regret why did I not even test it. Memory card _just for storage_ was 600HKD (16GB).
Have you ever heard about that kind of "special" microSD ? In my opinion he was BStting me.

The only thing that could explain it was if that was a high-speed one (Class 6) which are generally more useful as swap than Class 2, but if so he clearly didn't understand what he was talking about.

Maybe PR1.2 will allow swap on SD cards? As Laughing Man said, current software won't do it without a little hacking.

bunanson 2010-04-24 02:07

@amandalam: On the chinese Nokia web site, there is something called 3rd party apps, and there are 2 apps looks interesting, miniGPS and TigerMaps. Do you have any experience with these 2 apps on N900? Just curious. Especially TigerMaps looked very interesting.

TIA,

bun

avinashsonee 2010-04-24 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 625363)
@amandalam: On the chinese Nokia web site, there is something called 3rd party apps, and there are 2 apps looks interesting, miniGPS and TigerMaps. Do you have any experience with these 2 apps on N900? Just curious. Especially TigerMaps looked very interesting.

TIA,

bun

Those are symbian apps. They won't work on n900 since its base is Maemo

amandalam 2010-04-24 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrykwok (Post 625062)
Amanda I have always been wishing to thank you for your hard work on the input method pack! I'm from Hong Kong and I must say the decision to acquire a N900 is mostly fuelled by the your input method. Thank you very much.

Once again thank you very much for your great attitude in developing N900.

I didn't do the input method part, FIrstFan did. I was doing the UI translation only :p

I had established a facebook group somewhile go. If you have facebook, feel free to join: http://groups.to/hkmaemo/ :cool:

Blaizzen 2010-04-24 04:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by trips (Post 625225)
good news. i wonder if it will officially hit australian shores.

http://www.allphones.com.au/showcase/nokia.asp

seems it might :D

sjgadsby 2010-04-24 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~phoenix~ (Post 625060)

That would be interesting. In the N900, FM radio reception is provided by a Broadcom BCM2048 chip--which also provides FM transmission and Bluetooth. So, removing the FM transmission hardware would mean swapping the BCM2048 out for another chip or chips and a complete redesign of the N900's electronics.

It would also mean the N900 variant for China would take different firmware, so PR1.2 for them wouldn't equal PR1.2 for everyone else.

amandalam 2010-04-24 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 625740)
That would be interesting. In the N900, FM radio reception is provided by a Broadcom BCM2048 chip--which also provides FM transmission and Bluetooth. So, removing the FM transmission hardware would mean swapping the BCM2048 out for another chip or chips and a complete redesign of the N900's electronics.

It would also mean the N900 variant for China would take different firmware, so PR1.2 for them wouldn't equal PR1.2 for everyone else.

I doubt it would be removed from hardware level too; but at least Nokia needs to be "political correct" and make a very clear "official position" that the N900 to be sold in HK will not include the FM transmitter in order to obey the local laws here. :p

jonan 2010-04-24 18:19

Passed through Mongkok today where Wilson and Citicall were both promoting the N900. The large scale N900 displays plugged into the video out of phone were cool. The guys in Nokia/Maemo shirts were running around with working units to play with and there were some promo models. Was in a hurry and the model photo guys were getting annoying so only had a chance for 2 quick questions.

Asked if the US model could be flashed with HK release and was told it could not. Really want that hand writing recognition ! I can only use Jyutping and the other input methods are painful with my limited chinese. Sure someone will figure out getting it on other models.

Asked if Maps was fixed for China and sadly the answer was no :(
Was told they are aware of problem and "maybe will be fixed later". So looks like Maps is still useless for China. Will have to go back and try it for my self.

Hoping for a world wide update for PR1.2 !

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8zDx...download&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8zDxH...download&hl=en

http://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8zDxH...download&hl=en

-Jonan

kennibal 2010-04-24 18:25

Is PR1.2 update for N900 just designed for HongKong version? Or is there a separate one for other countries?

amandalam 2010-04-24 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonan (Post 626188)
Passed through Mongkok today where Wilson and Citicall were both promoting the N900. The large scale N900 displays plugged into the video out of phone were cool. The guys in Nokia/Maemo shirts were running around with working units to play with and there were some promo models. Was in a hurry and the model photo guys were getting annoying so only had a chance for 2 quick questions.

Asked if the US model could be flashed with HK release and was told it could not. Really want that hand writing recognition ! I can only use Jyutping and the other input methods are painful with my limited chinese. Sure someone will figure out getting it on other models.

Asked if Maps was fixed for China and sadly the answer was no :(
Was told they are aware of problem and "maybe will be fixed later". So looks like Maps is still useless for China. Will have to go back and try it for my self.

Hoping for a world wide update for PR1.2 !

Great pics Jonan!! I will go there and have a look tomorrow too :D