maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Edit N900 firmware (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93472)

UJKU 2014-07-19 23:41

Edit N900 firmware

Hi guys !
Anybody knows how to edit the firmware files of n900 , i mean the fiasco and the vanilla , i came from symbian modding and it is very helpfull to edit the firmware files ?!

peterleinchen 2014-07-20 07:13

Re: Edit N900 firmware

Afaik there is no such thing like firmware cooker.
And it is not needed at all, as we can do (almost) all we want with this open system!
The only FW modd I know of is the partition layout modification to flash automatically a 5 GB optfs (24 MyDocs) instead the default 2 GB (27 MyDocs).

biketool 2014-07-20 07:47

Writing this as much to have it confirmed/denied. AFAIK the 'firmware' is just the base filesystem and kernel, I know with some minimal tweaking it is possible to USB flash a backupmenu archive into a N900.

OT:
One thing that would be cool for backupmenu to become far more useful is if it could also save and flash the correct kernel along with archive so we don't end up with bootlooped N900s when we forget to make a new archive after the new kernel-power comes out.

Halftux 2014-07-20 08:37

There is a way to edit the rootfs.
Mount with mtdblock and pack with ubinize and flash with flasher app.

Erase/flash with ubiformat utility.

Mount with nandsim.
The repartition what peterleinchen said you can find here.

UJKU 2014-07-20 09:26

Thank you guys for the replies
Let me tell why i want this : for example i want to install cssu thumb
I want to make a clean install so i flash the latest maemo firmware , then i remove all the apps that i dont want to clean some rootfs space , than i install the cssu thumb , and this procedure take me hours to do it
If we have access to firmware modification we cane make a cssu flashing firmware once and all this hard work is done for 5 minutes

There is another chance that we can do this with backupmenu and i tried installing backupmenu , i made a backup of my rootfs and optfs and before the restore i had 98 MB of free rootfs space , after the restore i had 85 MB free , so i dont think its convenient to restore with it

peterleinchen 2014-07-20 10:38

Check out 0xFFFF flasher by pali.
I think it should provide the necessary tools/options.
But afaik noone did such firmware f... Wait ... robbie1st made a flashable image some time ago, so it is possible ....

UJKU 2014-07-20 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1433404)
Check out 0xFFFF flasher by pali.
I think it should provide the necessary tools/options.
But afaik noone did such firmware f... Wait ... robbie1st made a flashable image some time ago, so it is possible ....

Yes i googled that , and i found the pali flasher , it has the option to unpack fiasco images so i'm gonna try to make something