maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Samsung Galaxy Note (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76226)

Pigro 2011-09-01 12:58

Samsung Galaxy Note

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...XY-Note_id6116

spec's & size make this one of the few things I might actually consider as a N900 replacement - at 5.3" it's probably - just - pocketable, and has a big enough screen to accomodate a virtual k/b without totally obscuring the display.

I like the sound of the built-in stylus & supporting app's too, and the spec's are pretty impressive in general. I wonder what it will cost, and if the operators will sell it as a big phone (i.e. offer it as an upgrade on existing phone contracts) or a small tablet?

EDIT - the 2500mAh removable battery & NFC support are nice too :-)

SD69 2011-09-01 13:10

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigro (Post 1079996)
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...XY-Note_id6116

spec's & size make this one of the few things I might actually consider as a N900 replacement - at 5.3" it's probably - just - pocketable, and has a big enough screen to accomodate a virtual k/b without totally obscuring the display.

I like the sound of the built-in stylus & supporting app's too, and the spec's are pretty impressive in general. I wonder what it will cost, and if the operators will sell it as a big phone (i.e. offer it as an upgrade on existing phone contracts) or a small tablet?

Is the stylus just for note taking or can it be used, for example, for selecting links in a browser?

Pigro 2011-09-01 13:15

no idea - sounds like it's being marked primarily as a note taking aid (comes with "S memo" app for drawing/note-taking) but I *assume* that it is useable as a general capacitive stylus.

Helmuth 2011-09-01 13:25

As far as I'm able to see it runs Android - so no replacement. The Hardware Keyboard is anyway missing.

giorgosmit 2011-09-01 13:27

As a phone, it flat out does not work for me. 5,3 inches of screen size (bring on the jokes) are ridiculous. I don't want to carry around and try to talk on a service saucer, or cause an updraft that will suck small children and animals in the air every time I pull it quickly out of a pocket. As a PDA/ second device to carry in a backpack though, for notes it could work (I take it that the stylus has wacom-like functionality). I won't get it because I made my mind to buy the N9 and I'm not made of money, but I can see the appeal.

debernardis 2011-09-01 13:34

The official samsung video on youtube is quite teasimg; shows also some neat tricks, like freehand selection of images from web and co[y/paste to notes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlgVL...e_gdata_player

Pigro 2011-09-01 13:36

I can totally appreciate that it's too big to be the mobile phone for most folks. If you're like me however and take a mobile call about twice a month, but use it heavily for texting, email & browsing/remote access through the day, then its deficiencies as a phone form factor have to be taken on balance. IF (and I do mean IF) it will fit in a jeans pocket without crippling me, THEN I may consider it - for my 2 calls a month, I can always run into a dark alley or crawl under a table before answering to avoid the ridicule :-)

Understood on the lack of k/b Helmouth, I'm loath to give it up too, but there are so few genuine alternatives to the N900 available that I'm starting to consider it as a possibility, and the bigger screen does compensate to an extent.

I'll wait until it's in the shops and can be demo'd - if the salesman & his shoehorn can get the beast into my pocket, we'll take it from there ...

qwazix 2011-09-01 13:40

I like :) and a wireless mac keyboard can be the best companion to make it a mini laptop

IcyMoustache 2011-09-01 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigro (Post 1080015)
If you're like me however and take a mobile call about twice a month,

unbelievable.... are u based/working in the middle of sahara and fly to cairo once a month??

that is really infrequent man....

Pigro 2011-09-01 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache (Post 1080019)
unbelievable.... are u based/working in the middle of sahara and fly to cairo once a month??

that is really infrequent man....

Ok, maybe more like 2 per week then - and I was only talking about received calls ... I do make quite a few outgoing calls on my mobile (cos I have the bundled minutes+skype) but I generally make them from home much more than while out & about.

I don't work any more (other than a very small residual consultancy/support gig which is dealt with almost exclusively by email/remote access), and all my friends are either very local (so I see them without the need to call other than in exceptional cases) or far enough away that email/text/social media tend to be the usual way I stay in touch.

I know my calling profile is abnormal - but I'm basically borderline phobic about unneccessary phone conversation, life's too short :-)

Changegames 2011-09-01 13:54

well i got dell streak 5/n900 combo, this is perfect upgrade for that and for me this is still pocketable. i just hope the price is right when they release it and ill buy this thing unlocked like all my devices.

Pigro 2011-09-01 14:08

brief hands-on review here http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...8827?artc_pg=1

Straycat 2011-09-01 14:11

@Pigro: Wow!! You make phone calls in a month the same times I have sex!! he, he, he...

Jokes apart, I like the device. I like it so much.

It's made for me. Unfortunately, not for my money at the moment.

Pigro 2011-09-01 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straycat (Post 1080034)
@Pigro: Wow!! You make phone calls in a month the same times I have sex!! he, he, he...

hola Straycat! I forgot to mention though that each of my calls lasts for about 6 hours :cool:.Still with me ??? ;)

giorgosmit 2011-09-01 14:28

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads...ne-big-arm.jpg

6 hours? Holding that thing for six hours will get you an impressively developed right arm... still with me?;)

adamFsmith 2011-09-01 16:08

I came here to post a thread on exactly this. I've finally found my N900 replacement! Nice big screen, powerful, and crucially, a stylus. This will be only the second non-Nokia phone I have ever owned.

It's your fault, Nokia, not mine. Bye bye.

If the rumours of Samsung taking up WebOS are true, this will be even better. I got a HP Touchpad in the firesale, and can't help seeing the similarities between the "card" interface and Maemo.

xman 2011-09-01 16:27

Looks like it could be pressure-sensitive, so mypaint lover might have a new option!

x

Quote:

The Samsung Galaxy Note includes a stylus called the S Pen. As we found out when having a play, it's pressure-sensitive so you can write on the screen as well as launch apps, take photos and more. It's like 1998 all over again. The Note also supports Samsung's new ChatON communication service.

gerbick 2011-09-01 20:21

This would have been a replacement for the N810 for me.

mohannad 2011-09-01 20:48

This is the first Android phone that has tempted me to seriously consider buying one.

railroadmaster 2011-09-02 00:59

Damn gotta admit this is the ultimate geek device. 5.3 wxvga super amoled plus that going one hell of display. Also a stylus glad to see that is returning after people hated on it for so many years.

AndrewX192 2011-09-02 02:26

No hardware keyboard is a killer.

railroadmaster 2011-09-02 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewX192 (Post 1080357)

I find that good hand writing recognition system is better than a hardware keyboard for general text input. Anyways so few phones have hardware keyboards even Nokia giving up on them.

maxppc 2011-09-02 08:02

It's tempting me too, I can try to ignore the keyboard is missing but don't know if I can accept Android OS.

I would prefer to pay premium price for it if only they would release a MeeGo version at least. Sounds like a dream I know.

adamFsmith 2011-09-02 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewX192 (Post 1080357)

But surely the screen is so big that a screen keyboard is not that bad? I despise typing on say, an iPhone screen, but have no problem at all with my HP Touchpad. This should be a pretty good compromise.

Pigro 2011-09-02 12:07

rumoured here http://mybroadband.co.za/news/gadget...s-surface.html to be launching in S. Africa in November 2011:

"Samsung said that the Galaxy Note is scheduled to become available in South Africa in early November 2011. No recommended retail price (RRP) was available at the time of publication, but Samsung said they would communicate pricing information closer to launch"

MONVMENTVM 2011-09-02 17:17

This thing could really make me move on. The hardware is so awesome I could really forget about the missing keyboard.

ericsson 2011-09-03 08:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxjopfC1Gs

The N9 is nice and all, but this one makes me think twice. Tungsten T3, Nokia N8000, and this one seems to be the perfect replacement. Perfect size, stylus, awesome screen, loads of battery. I remember thinking, years ago, that the T3 with phone functionality is what I want. And here it is ...

The only bad thing is Android, and a HW KB would be nice (but in this case the screen and stylus makes up for it - no kb, not Android)

msa 2011-09-03 08:21

so its a resistive screen or is it a capacitive stylus?

Kangal 2011-09-03 08:37

Capacitive sh*t stylus?
Resistive sh*t display?
Active-Digitizer combo?

I'm interested, could be my daily driver.

Dave999 2011-09-03 08:50

Looks really nice, can the s-pen be included in the phone like the n900 or is this pen external only?

qwazix 2011-09-03 09:04

I think I read stowable somewhere, so I suppose it has it's place.

Pigro 2011-09-03 09:33

The pen slots into the body just like on n900. Surprised though that you don't plan just to embed it in your own flesh as a show of intent, Chuck.

eiffel 2011-09-03 10:26

If my N900 dies, this will be my replacement. In a way, the Galaxy Note is where Nokia should have taken the N800.

On a screen this big, I can live without a hardware keyboard. For me, the downside is that the Galaxy Note doesn't have stereo speakers.

ericsson 2011-09-03 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1080989)
Capacitive sh*t stylus?
Resistive sh*t display?
Active-Digitizer combo?

I'm interested, could be my daily driver.

Stylus is included like the N900.

The screen: 5.3 inch, capacitive, 1280x800, Super AMOLED Plus.

Look at the original Samsung video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxjopfC1Gs

How am I gonna resist this :confused:

Kangal 2011-09-03 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericsson (Post 1081076)
Stylus is included like the N900.

The screen: 5.3 inch, capacitive, 1280x800, Super AMOLED Plus.

Look at the original Samsung video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxjopfC1Gs

How am I gonna resist this :confused:

At 31seconds you can see the stylus is a plastic one ... ie for Resistive Screens like the N900...

HERE it fails to mention if it is a capacitive or resistive screen. I'm thinking it has the glass-capacitive as one layer, on top of a resistive layer, on top of the screen (ie pixels).

A setup which I'm skeptical about.

edit: Scratch all that, it is an active digitizer. And the screen resolution is 1280×768 NOT 1280x800, still greater than 720p! Samsung accidentally told me :D

Jedibeeftrix 2011-09-03 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1081087)
And the screen resolution is 1280×768 NOT 1280x800, still greater than 720p! Samsung accidentally told me :D

is it really? it looks much more like a 16:10 aspect than a 16:9..............

great device, brilliant hardware and brilliant design.

only a shame it runs android, but the de-emphasis on the hardware buttons tells me it will get ice-cream sandwich pretty swiftly!

will they finally sort out proper multitasking with ICS?

ericsson 2011-09-03 11:49

More

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php

debernardis 2011-09-03 12:31

Has barometer sensor! What for, apart from altitude and weather forecast?

purgiaali 2011-09-03 13:14

I've been looking for bigger screen device for better youtube and web usability. The Galaxy Note is currenly the best somewhat pocketable replacement for my N900.

The 7" and 10" tabs will likely have similiar price tags.

I just gotta figure out which one fits me best.

Radu 2011-09-03 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by debernardis (Post 1081117)
Has barometer sensor! What for, apart from altitude and weather forecast?

Wow, that's so cool.
I have a watch with a barometer sensor, and I always check the pressure. It's always good to know, but very useful if you hike and stuff. I even built my own barometer, with a PIC, LCD and barometric sensor.