maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Meego: Towards Day One (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46445)

jdeetee 2010-03-04 03:16

Meego: Towards Day One

Haven't seen anyone else post this yet...forgive me if it has.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Most interesting: "...What is scheduled to be available then is the first and very raw baseline to a source and binary repository to build MeeGo trunk on Intel ATOM boards and Nokia N900." :D

southwalesboy 2010-03-04 03:23

Re: Meego: Towards Day One

interesting!

zfarooq 2010-03-04 03:30

thats good to know :)

NvyUs 2010-03-04 03:45

people seemed to be reading too much into that one line,
we have always known meego will be capable of being compiled and run on n900, this don't mean nokia is releasing MeeGo on n900 officially.
what puzzles me is why it states atom and n900 and not atom and arm, that sounds like to me after harmattan nokia will use atom

jer006 2010-03-04 03:54

Dont Know, I thought Atom was still far too power hungry compared to ARM. Definitely interesting reading though, hoping the N900 has a positive and long future as its a great device.

zfarooq 2010-03-04 04:03

it says intel atom AND n900, so my guess is atom for future + n900 (present)

qgil 2010-03-04 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvyUs (Post 554975)
people seemed to be reading too much into that one line,
we have always known meego will be capable of being compiled and run on n900, this don't mean nokia is releasing MeeGo on n900 officially.
what puzzles me is why it states atom and n900 and not atom and arm, that sounds like to me after harmattan nokia will use atom

It looks like you are the one reading too much into that line. :)

The MeeGo project is the responsible of the MeeGo releases and hardware *they* support for *their* releases. So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features...

The current supporters of MeeGo are Intel, Nokia and the Linux Foundation. The LF has no own hardware so has nothing to support. Intel has chipsets and development boards (there is no Netbook from Intel, they are from vendors using Intel chipsets) and Nokia has devices (no ARM development board from Nokia). Hence the logical conclusion of announcing support for Atom boards and the N900 at this point. This will change if other vendors appear offering official support for the hardware they are responsible of.

NvyUs 2010-03-04 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 555005)
It looks like you are the one reading too much into that line. :)

The MeeGo project is the responsible of the MeeGo releases and hardware *they* support for *their* releases. So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features..

but that does not mean nokia will release meego as a n900 upgrade with there UX and all nokia services for end users which is what people are thinking by reading that line.
if it did mean that nokia would not be announcing it on some obscure blog they would be making a big deal out of it at some conference.

qgil 2010-03-04 04:57

This thread is about MeeGo Day 1 and that blog post, indeed.

What that blog post talks about is MeeGo vanilla support announced by the MeeGo project. This is not Harmattan support with Harmattan apps by Nokia. It's Nokia and not the MeeGo project who has the word on Nokia deliveries.

Still, N900 users concerned about "the future of the N900" now know that their hardware is in the real track for future support. More answers to come as the Harmattan alpha release approaches.

maluka 2010-03-04 05:08

I hope this shuts up some of the naggers.

Lazarpandar 2010-03-04 05:16

*breathes a huge sigh of relief*

backwoods 2010-03-04 05:17

Ok this is way above my head will this help the device and in what way? Will this help with getting more apps that is for this device?

jakiman 2010-03-04 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by backwoods (Post 555033)
Ok this is way above my head will this help the device and in what way? Will this help with getting more apps that is for this device?

Yes. It's a big deal.

It means N900 will be getting the major OS that Nokia and Intel are really pushing right now and for the future. It means more apps. More bug fixes. Newer features. A more complete OS. (being optimistic here but it surely is not entirely a dream)

GeneralAntilles 2010-03-04 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvyUs (Post 555010)
but that does not mean nokia will release meego as a n900 upgrade with there UX and all nokia services for end users which is what people are thinking by reading that line.
if it did mean that nokia would not be announcing it on some obscure blog they would be making a big deal out of it at some conference.

Indeed, this doesn't really tell us anything new, nor does it answer the Harmattan/N900 issue. Basically it's a summary post of a lot of stuff we already knew or could safely assume.

felbutss 2010-03-04 07:20

One question though. i wonder when MeeGo will actually be released for the n900? hmmmmmm

lfcobra 2010-03-04 07:22

just wanted to say THANK YOU! Finally some actual information from an official source about meego instead of the wild speculation that has plagued some of the other threads.

shadowjk 2010-03-04 07:26

It doesn't say anything about releases ;-)

Presumably one would be able to build MeeGo for N900 next month if their bootstrap schedule holds.

felbutss 2010-03-04 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowjk (Post 555089)

Presumably one would be able to build MeeGo for N900 next month if their bootstrap schedule holds.

jesus. wouldnt of expected it to be that soon? this just keeps getting better. all smilies from now on :D

felbutss 2010-03-04 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 555068)
Indeed, this doesn't really tell us anything new, nor does it answer the Harmattan/N900 issue. Basically it's a summary post of a lot of stuff we already knew or could safely assume.

smiling until i saw that. hmmmmmmm i feel like the confusion is back again. lol here we go again

qgil is there truth in this???

oldchap 2010-03-04 07:48

Well, this is just like Debian free. Do you think there is cellular binary available? No way, because that requires certification process. MeeGo for N900 is really a geek stuff and an ordinary user should not use that. So as other have already pointed, this does not tell anything about Nokia's support to get Harmattan/Maemo6/MeeGo whatever for N900.

eikido 2010-03-04 08:00

Quote:

Has Nokias ever held a Schedule ?

qgil 2010-03-04 08:00

Quote:

http://meego.com/about/faq says

Quote:

When will we see the first MeeGo release?
We are planning the project release of MeeGo version 1 in the second quarter of 2010. We expect MeeGo- based products to begin appearing based on OEM and OSV product schedules.
Quote:

Agree. In practice this means that as soon as MeeGo is in a bootable state you can expect some way to install it. Whether that will be useful or interesting to N900 users, that is a different question.

Question (too busy to dig right now): how long did it take to the Ubuntu project to have a first installable release after the project announcement? And how long did it take from there to a stable final release that pure end user could enjoy in their computers?

These would be useful references.

qgil 2010-03-04 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by eikido (Post 555108)
Has Nokias ever held a Schedule ?

Get this thing straight: this is http://meego.com - a free software project hosted by the Linux Foundation. Yes, Nokia has a big involvement there. No, it is not a Nokia project.

digittante 2010-03-04 08:03

Quote:

Presumably it will require some time between (1) issuance of a bootable base Meego OS to the world and (2) issuance of an OS+APPS package ready for daily use on the N900...

qgil 2010-03-04 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldchap (Post 555105)
Well, this is just like Debian free. Do you think there is cellular binary available? No way, because that requires certification process.

In the case of the N900 all the hardware adaptation exists and is well tested by Nokia.

Quote:

MeeGo for N900 is really a geek stuff and an ordinary user should not use that.
Absolutely true before MeeGo gets it's first stable release. I wouldn't be that sure about from that point, too.

Would you call "really geek stuff" to Ubuntu running on laptops bought with another OS out of the box?

RevdKathy 2010-03-04 08:14

If I understand this aright, this means that at some point an n900 owner will have the choice of staying with maemo 5 or doing some sort of flash to an 'approved' meego firmware (depending on their level of contentment with the device, apps, bugs etc - some may choose not to go back to a 'new software' state). By 'approved' that's approved either by Nokia (and thereforre covered by the warranty) or approved by the community (and at own risk, like maemo apps).

Did I get that right?

Cos if so, although I personally am less concerned about all this than most, simply getting an answer for all those people who've been waling about it causes me a deep desire to hug someone. Anyone?

Texrat 2010-03-04 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 555026)
This thread is about MeeGo Day 1 and that blog post, indeed.

What that blog post talks about is MeeGo vanilla support announced by the MeeGo project. This is not Harmattan support with Harmattan apps by Nokia. It's Nokia and not the MeeGo project who has the word on Nokia deliveries.

Still, N900 users concerned about "the future of the N900" now know that their hardware is in the real track for future support. More answers to come as the Harmattan alpha release approaches.

I'm starting to think this mess needs to be diagrammed to make it perfectly clear...

felbutss 2010-03-04 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 555128)
I'm starting to think this mess needs to be diagrammed to make it perfectly clear...

i very much agree. +50000

johnel 2010-03-04 08:29

Let's manage expectations here.

If there is some kind of release next month, it is highly unlikely MeeGo on the n900 will be in a usuable state. Not for daily use anyway.

Bear in mind there maybe very little functionality at the moment.

If people are eager for MeeGo to be available on the n900 then install it ans report bugs - if you can maybe fix a few.

This is a "proper" open-source project now - a few companies are supporting the effort and its open to the community at large.

This is great news and shows Linux (in any form) is here to stay in the mobile sector.

We actually have a tangible alternative to proprietory systems.

P.S. It does raise the question of "What will Nokia do with closed-source binaries?" Hopfully the answer will be open-source them or develop open-source alternatives at very least publish specifications..

qole 2010-03-04 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevdKathy (Post 555126)
Cos if so, although I personally am less concerned about all this than most, simply getting an answer for all those people who've been waling about it causes me a deep desire to hug someone. Anyone?

Yeah, that's how I feel too. Such upset, such hand-wringing, I just want to pat some heads and say, "there, there, it will be OK"...

As I posted on the blog, this is also another clear statement that Nokia and Intel see MeeGo as a flanking attack to win the OS war starting in the pocket and in the backpack. I foresee a future where all the innovation is in the mobile space and people will be wanting their mobile apps on the desktop, rather than the other way around. Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.

I think Nokia and Intel foresee all of that too, and this is their first strike to conquer the computing world and release it from its shackles :)

fgs 2010-03-04 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 555005)
So yes, the MeeGo project will release images for the N900 that will be official, you will be able to file bugs, propose features...

My doubts vanished with the blog post on Meego.com and finally with this sentence.

IMHO, the keyword here is 'official'. So what I understand is (with 99.9% confidence):
  1. MeeGo project will release official firmware images that are specific for N900 (so we will not need to hack a image by ourselves).
  2. The images will support the N900 hardware fully, thanks to Nokia contributing hardware adaptation code components.
  3. Users will be able to choose to stay with Maemo 5 or to flash MeeGo on their N900s.

This is very much like installing a Linux distribution on a PC with Windows preinstalled. The big difference is that, in this case, the hardware maker (Nokia) is directly involved, so full hardware compatibility should be granted from day one.

It remains to be seen whether this will happen already with Harmattan or with a later MeeGo release.

johnel 2010-03-04 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 555145)
Yeah, that's how I feel too. Such upset, such hand-wringing, I just want to pat some heads and say, "there, there, it will be OK"...

As I posted on the blog, this is also another clear statement that Nokia and Intel see MeeGo as a flanking attack to win the OS war starting in the pocket and in the backpack. I foresee a future where all the innovation is in the mobile space and people will be wanting their mobile apps on the desktop, rather than the other way around. Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.

I think Nokia and Intel foresee all of that too, and this is their first strike to conquer the computing world and release it from its shackles :)

I think you are right.

Personally I think the desktop in general has become bloated and a little unfocused.

I think a lot of "heavy-weight" desktop systems can benefit from something like MeeGo.

Quote:

Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.
Bill Gates has been saying this since the early nineties!

The desktop computer will be around for a good few years yet!
They are cheap, easy to upgrade and you get best "bang for buck" power-wise.
They may become less popular but I don't think desktop PCs are going anywhere soon.

jsa 2010-03-04 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by felbutss (Post 555092)
smiling until i saw that. hmmmmmmm i feel like the confusion is back again. lol here we go again

I can see how this could be confusing so I'll try to clarify it a bit in hopefully understandable terms. (Disclaimer: Contains generalisation, simplification and cutting corners. If there are glaring mistakes, feel free to correct.)

1. There is Nokia Maemo 5 / Fremantle now. The next release would have been Nokia Maemo 6 / Harmattan. Now, it is called Meego / Harmattan instead, but it's still the same Harmattan that it was going to be. This would be way clearer if they didn't rebrand it as MeeGo yet, but they wanted to get the marketing behind that brand already. You can think of Harmattan as half MeeGo. The next release after Harmattan will be Nokia's first full MeeGo.

2. You need to understand the layers, which together form an operating system. It may be difficult if you come from Windows/OS X world because they both only have one user interface. UI and applications, however are only the top of the OS pyramid. Underneath them there are a lot of stuff that actually make it all tick. That's what Meego is about, providing a common base for user interfaces and applications to be built on. When you think of Meego in general, think of everything you as an end user don't see.

3. What you actually see, the UI, applications, services etc. can and will vary depending on who made the Meego device. LG's UI may look totally different from Nokia UI. You'll only see Ovi applications and services on Nokia devices. These manufacturer specific applications on top of Meego won't necessarily be open source either. But the base on which they are built on is the same.

If you keep all this in mind, the discussion hopefully makes a bit more sense.

jakiman 2010-03-04 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 555147)
This is very much like installing a Linux distribution on a PC with Windows preinstalled. The big difference is that, in this case, the hardware maker (Nokia) is directly involved, so full hardware compatibility should be granted from day one.

If I was Nokia, I would definitely want the Meego fully working on the currently released Nokia hardware to showcase what Meego can do. That current hardware would be the N900 of course. =)

JohnLF 2010-03-04 09:06

6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>

twaelti 2010-03-04 09:26

MeeGo is an Operating System that might well run on the N900 hardware.

But what you bought with the N900 is a somewhat different Operating System PLUS about two dozen quite critical applications for it's usability (Browser, Media Player, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Contacts, Phone, Maps, Camera, E-Mail, Conversations to name the most important ones).

So even if MeeGo will run on the N900, you won't yet get these apps included, because they need to be ported from Maemo 5 (GTK) to MeeGo (QT) the new OS. So just MeeGo on the N900 will look like the Maemo 5 SDK alpha/beta did: You boot up and get one or two apps...

Therefore, the critical 2nd step would be to know if Nokia's Applications for MeeGo will also support not only their next device, but also the N900 insofar the hardware or API is different. Or if there is enough information around that the community could build some of these apps. Or if they would even be open-sourced.

daperl 2010-03-04 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 555145)
Actually, I foresee the death of the desktop computer altogether.

That's funny, I recently deleted a post that said something similar, but I went one step further and said I foresee the death of the CL. :eek:

Fargus 2010-03-04 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnLF (Post 555167)
6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>

The really scarey bit about this is that it is SO believeable! Hey ho! LOL

lma 2010-03-04 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by twaelti (Post 555181)
So even if MeeGo will run on the N900, you won't yet get these apps included, because they need to be ported from Maemo 5 (GTK) to MeeGo (QT) the new OS.

No need for that, GTK+ will be officially supported in MeeGo (as opposed to the original Maemo 6 plan). Note that porting Hildon apps may be slightly more complex but not a huge task.

As an example, there is work underway for Moblin support in modest and tinymail, so it will almost certainly run on MeeGo.

Dirty Harry 2010-03-04 11:35

N900 WILL get MeeGo -YO

Check this out

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one