maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   X forwarding through ssh (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83889)

kskoda 2012-04-25 13:28

X forwarding through ssh

Hi!

Did anyone tried X forwarding through ssh?

I connect to my N9 through ssh/PuTTY (with "Enable X forwarding" checked) via USB cable. Xming server on my PC is also started (Windows 7, if matters).
But when I try to start eg. /usr/bin/ovistoreclient the application screen/display goes to N9's display, not to my PC.

Any help/thoughts on this?

don_falcone 2012-04-25 14:25

Re: X forwarding through ssh

IIRC the same behavior was observed on N800 and N900. Maybe somewhere in the Raspberry Pi thread some of the issues were identified & solved, but i doubt a general solution was found. Conclusion seems that "hildonized" applications won't "behave".

kskoda 2012-04-25 21:16

At least there is Netview with wich we can see whole N9 screen, but that was not what I wanted.

stlpaul 2012-04-25 22:51

On N900 you need to install xauth and enable X11 forwarding and set the X11DisplayOffset to 10 in your sshd_config. It doesn't work for every program, but should work for most.

Maybe you can do something similar on your N9.

kskoda 2012-04-26 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlpaul (Post 1197726)
On N900 you need to install xauth and enable X11 forwarding and set the X11DisplayOffset to 10 in your sshd_config. It doesn't work for every program, but should work for most.

Maybe you can do something similar on your N9.

In /etc/ssh/sshd_config X11Forwarding is set to yes and X11DisplayOffset is set to 10.

How to install xauth on N9?

Fuzzillogic 2012-04-26 20:02

It seems that applications which use X more directly can run over SSH X11Forwarding without problems. I've been running NetBeans (a Java IDE) on the N9 with the PC as X server. Terribly slow, but still :)

But apps using QEgl fail:

Code:

/opt/operamobile-labs $ ./operamobile
Warning: not sure how to check hw keyboard status/

OPERA_DIR not set, assuming "/opt/operamobile-labs"
QEgl::display(): Falling back to EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY
QEgl::display(): Can't even open the default display
QEglContext::chooseConfig(): Could not find a suitable EGL configuration
Requested: "type=es2 rgba=0,0,0,0 surface-type=window"
Available:
QGLContext::makeCurrent(): Cannot make invalid context current
QEgl::display(): Falling back to EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY
QEgl::display(): Can't even open the default display
QEglContext::chooseConfig(): Could not find a suitable EGL configuration
Requested: "type=es2 rgba=0,0,0,0 surface-type=window"
Available:
Failed to create GL context for window surface, not able to recover
Aborted

I'm trying this on Windows with MobaXterm, but on Mint 12 (in a VM but with OpenGL support) I didn't got any farther. Leaves me wondering whether it actually is possible? And if so, what is required?

kskoda 2012-04-27 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1197998)

<cut>

I'm trying this on Windows with MobaXterm, but on Mint 12 (in a VM but with OpenGL support) I didn't got any farther. Leaves me wondering whether it actually is possible? And if so, what is required?

I send mail to Netview's author/s, maybe they will have some suggestions or ideas.