maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   smartsearch eating CPU on N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79414)

duesselschorsch 2011-10-27 14:30

smartsearch eating CPU on N9

Hi,
since today, /usr/bin/smartsearch is running with 99% CPU all the time on my N9, eating the battery. Rebooting didn't help, neither did "reset to default values" from the security menu.

Any ideas?

Georg

sconf 2011-10-27 15:39

Re: smartsearch eating CPU on N9

Jup, wellcome to the boat. Same here, let me know if you find solution to this. Uninstalling package smartsearch might be one solution. See onwards from

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=445

Maczon 2011-11-03 08:06

I have same problem. :(
Last week that process just stoppped and battery life went back up. Now battery lasts under 8 hours. (without smartsearch eating all cpu time battery was fine 48 hours.

superjunior 2011-11-03 08:28

Sorry for my English.

/usr/bin/smartsearch is executable. Go with a Desktop-Filemanager to /usr/bin/smartsearch and disable this option (properties) and Reboot. Maybe this helps.

Hope you understand me ;)

cyco1978 2011-11-13 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjunior (Post 1117667)
Sorry for my English.

/usr/bin/smartsearch is executable. Go with a Desktop-Filemanager to /usr/bin/smartsearch and disable this option (properties) and Reboot. Maybe this helps.

Hope you understand me ;)

Can you explain to me how to to disable it .. first fist time user

ammar.m 2011-11-13 19:11

a little offtopic but can someone tell me how to find out whats using how much CPU?

Jemoparis 2011-11-13 19:38

Hi to all, and sorry for my basic english from Paris :)

I have doubts about my battery also (black n9 64 go),
So many comments said that the N9 has a great battery, i just foubd it very normal after 2 days i have my N9 : around 5/6 hours of non-stop using (permanent wifi, web, videos, swiping all oter the phone) with a medium/correct screen lighting power.

I started again a test this noon i arrive close to 3 hours of non stop using with 50% battery (wifi connctions, dowloading youtube videos, playing videos, web browsing etc). Sounds correct to me but not that much, just like my N8 after year using it. The battery goes VERY fast at the begining (10% every 30mn) then it seems to calm a bit.

I have the battery apps and i'm always surprised that meego OS always use 50% of te battery, nevermind what you do with it. Is it normal ? My battery and phone doesnt have heat on back or else anyways.

I read what you said about the smartsearch and i dont get what it is, is it the multisearch function in all the phone apps including google ? Never used it anyways

traveller07 2011-11-14 07:04

Try this.

"Completely removed the /home/user/.cache/tracker directory and rebooted. That got recreated, then smartsearch took some CPU for a very brief time. After that everything seemed to be back to normal."

sconf 2011-11-14 07:32

Hmmm...I can't list, chmod, move, or do anything with .cache/tracker, not even after devel-su. That results "Permissions denied". Diretory has rights "d---rwx--- metadata metadata"

That looks very suspicious. Do you have any advise how to destroy that directory?

By the way, uninstalling package smartsearch is not viable option to smartsearch problem. That would remove quite a bunch OS related packages also.

sconf 2011-12-31 13:07

I got finaly rid of smartsearch eating lots of CPU and not going away. Previously after every reboot I had to kill it by hand, otherwise it would draing battery.

I tried "Reset->Restore settings" and then restored from backup. That did not cure smartsearch, but introduced a new battery drain with email sync described in

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=440

I then deleted and recreated mail account, and holy cow, that fixed smartsearch also! I have a syslog snapshot from the non-working and working smartsearch. Let me know if you have still troubles with smartsearch and want bug report filed. However, I don't have anything to debug anymore, just couple of syslog files.

jalyst 2012-01-03 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sconf (Post 1143884)
I got finaly rid of smartsearch eating lots of CPU and not going away. Previously after every reboot I had to kill it by hand, otherwise it would draing battery.

I tried "Reset->Restore settings" and then restored from backup. That did not cure smartsearch, but introduced a new battery drain with email sync described in

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=440

I then deleted and recreated mail account, and holy cow, that fixed smartsearch also! I have a syslog snapshot from the non-working and working smartsearch. Let me know if you have still troubles with smartsearch and want bug report filed. However, I don't have anything to debug anymore, just couple of syslog files.

I'm not sure which bug no. the smartsearch issue is associated with.
But the 2nd issue you mentioned is to do with bug #198...

Perhaps you could describe your findings & share your syslogs there?
#198 is apparently resolved, but the smartsearch issue may be referenced in the comments.

One of the devs may know where it belongs, or some searching of the tracker may find it.

sconf 2012-01-03 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1145036)
I'm not sure which bug no. the smartsearch issue is associated with.
But the 2nd issue you mentioned is to do with bug #198...

I don't think the mail issue I had is same as in bug #198.

I'm puzzled why my smartsearch problem disappeared same time as mail issue. I have had the smartsearch running wild from the very first (or maybe second) day from purchase. Even without mail problems.

smartsearch looks like unrelated problem. In the logs smartsearch related lines are basically same for non-functioning and functioning smartsearch, until non-functionin just stops logging. Nothing similar found on bugtracker, either.

If other people would have this problem as bad I guess there would be much more complaints. Phone is (was...:)) unusable without killing smartsearch after reboot, it runs very hot and battery lasts only couple of hours.

jalyst 2012-01-04 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by sconf (Post 1145366)
I don't think the mail issue I had is same as in bug #198.

I'm puzzled why my smartsearch problem disappeared same time as mail issue. I have had the smartsearch running wild from the very first (or maybe second) day from purchase. Even without mail problems.

smartsearch looks like unrelated problem. In the logs smartsearch related lines are basically same for non-functioning and functioning smartsearch, until non-functionin just stops logging. Nothing similar found on bugtracker, either.

If other people would have this problem as bad I guess there would be much more complaints. Phone is (was...:)) unusable without killing smartsearch after reboot, it runs very hot and battery lasts only couple of hours.

In #198's comments there's issues described that are similar to yours.
It may relate to a ticket lodged (or not) for a fundamentally a diff. issue.
But there still could be invaluable info. in those syslogs.
So I'd encourage you to share them with Nokia devs. You never know.

derliebewolf 2012-01-23 08:12

Smartsearch is eating up my cpu since last night., I hav my N9 for like two to three weeks now and it just started now.
Any solution for that? I allready removed all my mail accounts without luck.

For how long did that process run for you? some hours? days? Never ending?

jaripi 2012-01-23 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by derliebewolf (Post 1154281)
Smartsearch is eating up my cpu since last night., I hav my N9 for like two to three weeks now and it just started now.
Any solution for that? I allready removed all my mail accounts without luck.

For how long did that process run for you? some hours? days? Never ending?

1. Did you restart after removing your mail accounts ? ...

2. Have you any other accounts there ? (like fb) - can you try just disable all them (for a moment, to see does it make any difference, so do not remove them, just disable each account ... then it is easy to enable them later again, after you see does it make any true difference) ... I think that you have to restart after that too ...

3. There is a suggestion of other user, so you could try too: "Completely remove the /home/user/.cache/tracker directory and rebooted. That got recreated, then smartsearch took some CPU for a very brief time. After that everything seemed to be back to normal." ... Use Filebox apps to do that (enable hidden files in Filebox, so you can find it) ... I just cleaned that folder by that way, to check could it be a proper advice - yes, it is possible, but I have not a such current SmartSearch problem here, so I can not advice you is it really a fix ...

SmartSearch usually has only few peaks on the beginning and then it disappears (I have never seen it to continue for long) ...

Hope that this gives you some idea how to fix it and I wish you luck to fix it - if you can do it, please tell us too :)

eerde 2012-01-23 17:08

Sounds like a runaway prog.

I would first open a trerminal and type: kill <PID #>
Maybe restart after that, but should not be needed.

If smartsearch is owned by 'root', become root first: devel-su password: rootme (note that the password doesn't show).

jaripi 2012-01-23 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerde (Post 1154504)
Sounds like a runaway prog.

I would first open a trerminal and type: kill <PID #>
Maybe restart after that, but should not be needed.

If smartsearch is owned by 'root', become root first: devel-su password: rootme (note that the password doesn't show).

Restart is needed, to know is it a real solution ... I think that killing a process is just easy fix (a problem reappear after restart) ...

derliebewolf 2012-01-23 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaripi (Post 1154496)
1. Did you restart after removing your mail accounts ? ...

2. Have you any other accounts there ? (like fb) - can you try just disable all them (for a moment, to see does it make any difference, so do not remove them, just disable each account ... then it is easy to enable them later again, after you see does it make any true difference) ... I think that you have to restart after that too ...

3. There is a suggestion of other user, so you could try too: "Completely remove the /home/user/.cache/tracker directory and rebooted. That got recreated, then smartsearch took some CPU for a very brief time. After that everything seemed to be back to normal." ... Use Filebox apps to do that (enable hidden files in Filebox, so you can find it) ... I just cleaned that folder by that way, to check could it be a proper advice - yes, it is possible, but I have not a such current SmartSearch problem here, so I can not advice you is it really a fix ... )

well, what I tried so far is deleting (!) mail accounts followed by a device restart. And of course I tried killing smartsearch, it took the topstop of the list faster than one could say "stupid smartsear....", but thanks for the suggestion anyway. I did that like 10 time in a row...

Disabeling all other accounts (like Mfe, twiiter, skype, flicker, no FB!) did not help either. I even did a restart after disabeling (not deleting...)

deleting said folder Is not allowed, even in busybox whilst beeing root and using rmdir (via ssh)... the folder is empty anyway

I got the suspicion that it has something to do with music player indexing, I'll try to mess around with this a bit... otherwise I'm gonna do a reflash by tomorrow night...

jaripi 2012-01-23 19:24

Well, no luck ... can you try to add some song to Music folder - to see does it make any difference (it could make N9 to update library, reindex it) ...

derliebewolf 2012-01-23 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaripi (Post 1154569)
Well, no luck ... can you try to add some song to Music folder - to see does it make any difference (it could make N9 to update library, reindex it) ...

thats what I'm dooing right now. to make sure I deleted all music and re added it... just takes a while, I have 64GB version ;)

eerde 2012-01-23 19:33

@derliebewolf
These so called 'sollutions' will never work ! (IMHO)

What you have is a run-away-prog ! Deal with it ! In that sense.
Deleting accounts etc, will just not, never work !

When MeeGotouchhome is the culprit, add some prog and delete it or make a symlink to your home screen and delete it. Seems to work for me the two times I had this problem.

Rebooting is a windows idiosyncracy, Linux does not need a reboot (99,99%). Install a prog, no reboot, install an new kernel can even be done without a reboot !

jaripi 2012-01-23 19:40

about /home/user/.cache/tracker folder ... yes, my one is empty too ... but I am curious to know is your dates of that folder fresh ones (created and modified dates of properties of that folder) ... my dates are fresh ones, 22. and 23.01.2012 ...

jefftb 2012-01-23 19:52

Periodic creation/deletion of desktop web link nearly always drops idle consumption on mine. There have been a few days that I had to do this 3-4 times over the course of about 2 hours.

My device idle was 6mA over the weekend and about 15 now.

I've never deleted any accounts and rebooting makes it worse or so it seems for me. I don't reboot unless there is a very good reason anymore. To date, there have been no good reasons for days and days now.:D

derliebewolf 2012-01-23 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerde (Post 1154575)
@derliebewolf

When MeeGotouchhome is the culprit, add some prog and delete it or make a symlink to your home screen and delete it. Seems to work for me the two times I had this problem.

Rebooting is a windows idiosyncracy, Linux does not need a reboot (99,99%). Install a prog, no reboot, install an new kernel can even be done without a reboot !

Yeah, I now reboots are rarly nessecary on linux based OS's. Anyway could you pleas descibe a bit mor what you mean by "run-away-program"? And your way of "fixing" it?

jalyst 2012-01-23 20:52

@sconf

Did Sergey ever get back to you about whether he found anything useful in your logs?
*EDIT* It's to do with the second issue you developed, but it'd still be nice to hear from Sergey.

@derliebewolf

I think your solution will lie in carefully observing what sconf did, & trying to mimic that...
He didn't deal with it by killing processes, that's what he had to rely-on until the problem disappeared.
Upon quickly perusing, as far as I can tell this isn't the meegotouchhome issue, it's distinctly different.

Before you mimic everything he did, I'd encourage you to lodge a bug-report & describe your issue.
Mention that you can provide logs, as it may be handy to capture that data while the issue's live.
There's a big chance that you may not be able to reproduce the issue for them.
And so the bug will remain until some other unfortunate users stumble across it :(

jaripi 2012-01-23 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerde (Post 1154575)
@derliebewolf

I can agree that a properly working phone does not need restarts ... but like fixing "Meegotouchhome" by moving icon, is gone after restart - "Meegotouchhome" just reappears ... in cases like that, it needs restart ... well, I have fixed "Meegotouchhome" problem in my phone just by enabling Developer mode, but that too, does not fix anything without restart ... I can get it back just by disabling Developer mode, again, needs restart, before it appears ...

I think that there is something that causes "Smartsearch" problem, it might be some apps or MfE or some other mail account setting or maybe corrupted indexing problem (still unclear case) ... well, I still suggest restart after any removal or change, to find it out, does it really change something (to know the both cases, without restart and with restart) ...

derliebewolf 2012-01-24 08:45

I filed a bug now...
https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704

If anyone else is affected, you might vote there...

derliebewolf 2012-01-24 13:24

Guess what: after 48 straight hours of 100% CPU load the smartsearch process just vanished from the list of the "top" command. I did not change anything at all! I'll have a close look on that though, yet I'm happy my avg. idle consumption is about 10mA again!

jalyst 2012-01-24 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by derliebewolf (Post 1154922)
Guess what: after 48 straight hours of 100% CPU load the smartsearch process just vanished from the list of the "top" command. I did not change anything at all! I'll have a close look on that though, yet I'm happy my avg. idle consumption is about 10mA again!

Damn, were you able to gather any useful data before it disappeared?
The Nokia devs would've been able to suggest the most appropriate logs etc.
I'm subscribing to that bug-report now and will vote etc...

derliebewolf 2012-01-24 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1155011)
Damn, were you able to gather any useful data before it disappeared?
The Nokia devs would've been able to suggest the most appropriate logs etc.

no. anyway, where would I have to look for logs? /var/log/... ?

jalyst 2012-01-24 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by derliebewolf (Post 1155045)
no. anyway, where would I have to look for logs? /var/log/... ?

There's several places, but I'm not the best person to be asking.
They should be able to give you the best procedure.
Just keep bugging them there occasionally, I'll be tuning in.

derliebewolf 2012-01-30 09:52

Good news, anyone having the same issue, have hopes! It will be fixed in PR 1.2, according to Nokia: https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704

jalyst 2012-01-30 17:39

Yeah I saw that post in the report, great news.
I'm surprised at how quickly they fixed it too.
I hope it really is fixed....

knutelde 2012-03-06 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1157993)
Yeah I saw that post in the report, great news.
I'm surprised at how quickly they fixed it too.
I hope it really is fixed....

said too say it has not left me... Smartsearch is still eating too much CPU and battery uses more then 300 mA, it was there the second after the device rebooted after upgrading and havent left in the 3 days since that, now it even uses slightly more then on pr 1.1

jalyst 2012-03-07 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by knutelde (Post 1175200)
said too say it has not left me... Smartsearch is still eating too much CPU and battery uses more then 300 mA, it was there the second after the device rebooted after upgrading and havent left in the 3 days since that, now it even uses slightly more then on pr 1.1

Ah yes you're the usr that re-opened the report a few days ago.
Just wait for their feedback there...
If you really are experiencing the issue described in this thread.
Then they'll need you to gather some info etc.

glyph.se 2012-03-07 16:58

My problem was that smartsearch/tracker used 100% CPU för about 10 seconds after every received/sent SMS, with idle usage about going up to 50mA. Not as extreme as some other reported. Fix was to clear ~/.cache/tracker and lose lots of data :-(

Problem might have been that I had about 10k SMS after a few months usage...

Using PR1.2 since 1 week ago, problem might have existed before but without symptoms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sconf (Post 1123269)
Hmmm...I can't list, chmod, move, or do anything with .cache/tracker, not even after devel-su. That results "Permissions denied". Diretory has rights "d---rwx--- metadata metadata"

Mine was the same, use develsh instead of devel-su. But be warned that all your contacts and messages will disappear, possibly some more data as well.

jalyst 2012-03-07 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph.se (Post 1176000)
My problem was that smartsearch/tracker used 100% CPU för about 10 seconds after every received/sent SMS, with idle usage about going up to 50mA. Not as extreme as some other reported. Fix was to clear ~/.cache/tracker and lose lots of data :-(

Problem might have been that I had about 10k SMS after a few months usage...

Using PR1.2 since 1 week ago, problem might have existed before but without symptoms.

Very interesting, worthwhile sharing in the bug report.
The Nokia devs might want some info from you. :)

glyph.se 2012-03-10 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1176019)
Very interesting, worthwhile sharing in the bug report.
The Nokia devs might want some info from you. :)

Not sure if it's the same problem, it's completely gone after emptying the .cache/tracker folder. Don't know yet if it will come back, will take a few months until i reach ~10k SMS again. It seems more like a performance problem than a bug to me.

I know several Android phones suffer problems as well when you got several thousand of messages on them.

jalyst 2012-03-10 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph.se (Post 1177402)
Not sure if it's the same problem, it's completely gone after emptying the .cache/tracker folder. Don't know yet if it will come back, will take a few months until i reach ~10k SMS again. It seems more like a performance problem than a bug to me.

I know several Android phones suffer problems as well when you got several thousand of messages on them.

Still, you never know, could be some useful observations to share with them.

glyph.se 2012-04-19 12:16

I have started to see the same problem again. This time it seems narrowed down to large conversations only, small ones seem unaffected.

After sending/receiving a message in a large conversation (maybe 4-5k sms) my /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-store takes up 100% CPU for about 5-10 seconds.

Will try to remote conversation shortly and see if the problem disappears again.