maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Removing Uninstalled Application Shortcuts from Menu (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=7595)

re2st 2007-07-12 05:21

Removing Uninstalled Application Shortcuts from Menu

I installed a few applications and then decided to uninstall it. But on the menu (under "Extras") they still show even I have confirmed that the application has been uninstalled (it doesn't show under "Installed Applications" anymore). Rebooting the unit doesn't get rid of them.

How do I get rid of this "shortcut" from the menu?

I have installed osso xterm and becomeroot btw (if it's needed.. :) )

Thanks!

rob 2007-07-12 05:48

Re: Removing Uninstalled Application Shortcuts from Menu

You should be able to remove/rearrange your menu shortcuts by going into Control Panel then clicking on 'Navigation' and then in that window, click 'Organize' next to Applications. From there you can delete/move the menu shortcuts.

re2st 2007-07-12 06:00

I of course tried that, but the "Delete" button is greyed out

rob 2007-07-12 06:40

Yeah I just checked mine, delete is greyed out for all my shortcuts as well. Odd.

Well if you wanted to do it by hand you can remove them from terminal via xTerm as well. Navigate to ' ~/.osso/menus/ ' Here you will be a file called ' applications.menu '. You can edit this file to remove your unwanted menu shortcuts.

So say you wanted to delete the RSS feed reader shortcut, you would delete this segment
Code:

<Filename>osso_rss_feed_reader.desktop</Filename>
Once you modify this file, there is no need to reset your Nokia, as it seems when you goto your shortcuts on the desktop via the menu bar, it queries this file each time, so nothing is cached.

As always, it is a good idea to backup the file first before editing it, as if you delete a shortcut you didnt want, im not sure how to add it back except manually typing the exact code segment again into the file, or reinstalling the app in question.

re2st 2007-07-12 07:45

How do I exactly "navigate to ' ~/.osso/menus/ ' in xTerm?

Do I need to copy the file ' applications.menu ' somewhere I can browse from File Manager first and then modify it using a text editor before copying it back to the original location?

Sorry, complete newbie here. Thanks for the enlightenment.. :)

thiago_oliv 2009-10-10 12:59

just to get this closed:

complete dir is /home/user/.osso/menus

pinguino89 2009-10-10 15:03

I edited it with leafpad (from debian chroot) and the only thing that it does is to put them in the "extras"....then I edited it with using leafpad from maemo, and the same result...they do not disappear, they are only dragged in extras...

qx773 2013-11-09 08:47

I had the same problem. I uninstalled Bomberman, but it remained in the Extras menu. I had to become the root user to do the following:

In addition to deleting the text:

<Filename>bomberman.desktop</Filename>

in the file:

/home/user/.osso/menus/applications.menu

I had to delete the "bomberman.desktop" file from:

/usr/share/applications/hildon

Johnnie Price 2013-11-10 11:18

To be honest, the only file you have to delete is the desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon. You can even do this for installed apps you don't use to remove them from the menu listing.

At least, this is true with Telescope. It may not be accurate with a default installation.