maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I've converted an iPhone user to N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70743)

zdanee 2011-03-06 20:18

I've converted an iPhone user to N900

I've converted an iPhone user. A friend of mine saw my phone last week, played a little bit with it and was amazed. I've told him about maemo and how open and hackable the phone is, showed him some preenv games and some massive multitasking at 1150MHz, and he was sold. Yesterday he IM'ed me: "Hi! I've got an N900! Now what was that community website you told me about last time?". Turn out, his iPhone's WiFi had fried, and so instead of a new iPhone 4 he choose the light side of the Force :)

So did you convert anyone?

cincibluer6 2011-03-06 20:26

Re: I've converted an iPhone user to N900

IIRC they have another thread about this very thing.
Either way, it's pretty cool when people are amazed at what this phone can do (even though it is "old" comparatively.)

Reffyyyy 2011-03-06 20:26

He'll be posting in here soon complaining that his iPhone was faster and better.

zdanee 2011-03-06 20:28

Sure hope not. He seemed to understand the differences and limitations as well. He is not a complete noob to linux either.

Jigzy 2011-03-06 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdanee (Post 962000)
I've converted an iPhone user. A friend of mine saw my phone last week, played a little bit with it and was amazed. I've told him about maemo and how open and hackable the phone is, showed him some preenv games and some massive multitasking at 1150MHz, and he was sold. Yesterday he IM'ed me: "Hi! I've got an N900! Now what was that community website you told me about last time?". Turn out, his iPhone's WiFi had fried, and so instead of a new iPhone 4 he choose the light side of the Force :)

Praise the Lord!

abill_uk 2011-03-06 21:25

HAHAHA this is a real laugh... no way i do not believe because Iphone knocks spots off the N900.

gerbick 2011-03-06 21:28

Better hope he/she/it never wants a modern game outside of Angry Birds or ever needs support from Nokia.

N900L 2011-03-06 21:38

sure the N900 is a good device but not that good for normal users .
Maybe meego will be a more normal-user-friendly os.

emergency solutions in Maemo:
Notes: More an editor than a notes application.
Contacts : you cant search the contacts by job or other details.
when you have more than 500 contacts its a must-feature.
SMS.more chat than sms
No inbox,outbox etc.
when you drive often, you will need the portrait mode.

alienhead 2011-03-06 21:45

I have converted an android user to N900 :), he is really happy he made the switch.

Dancairo 2011-03-06 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 962032)
HAHAHA this is a real laugh... no way i do not believe because Iphone knocks spots off the N900.

sometimes i wonder why you even have an N900! or at least why you haven't yet sold it and bought yourself a kids toy....and if you believe what you wrote then you are not using it correctly and I suggest you get yourself a big button oap phone!

ceroberts75 2011-03-06 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancairo (Post 962047)
sometimes i wonder why you even have an N900! or at least why you haven't yet sold it and bought yourself a kids toy....and if you believe what you wrote then you are not using it correctly and I suggest you get yourself a big button oap phone!

he was an iphone convert... :p

Mentalist Traceur 2011-03-06 22:03

The concept of no modern game aside from Angry Birds and the presense of preenv is kinda self contradictory. I know you're probably exagerating, but still. The game situation sucked when the N900 came out, but it does improve as time goes on. There's also games ported from desktop linux distros that I don't think many phone platforms have. But yes, the N900 is lacking in games. If the user in question was impressed with it though, it's likely they were impressed with something else about it.

zdanee 2011-03-06 22:21

He liked the various formats the mediaplayer can handle, he was amazed by fillmore and sunvox (he is a bit into music), and he realy liked mypaint and Gimp in easy Debian. He was not much of a gamer on his iPhone either, but liked the option. He also told me he liked MicroB especially because of flash support, and also he liked chromium thou he agrees with me that it is not for a handset.

HellFlyer 2011-03-06 22:43

You should trade your phone with him or at least help him install all the cool stuff you showed.

IMO you cant convert someone to use Maemo its something that one chooses to either struggle with or enjoy.

p.s. dont let him open Ovi Maps :D

zdanee 2011-03-06 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellFlyer (Post 962063)
You should trade your phone with him or at least help him install all the cool stuff you showed.

IMO you cant convert someone to use Maemo its something that one chooses to either struggle with or enjoy.

p.s. dont let him open Ovi Maps :D

We haven't yet met since that, but I already wrote together the stuff he should get, how to get it, and probably next week I'll show him the heavy stuff like easy Debian, NITDroid, preenv, sygic and all the x terminal magic :) No power-kernel and CSSU thou till he learns a bit about it and be able to decide and do for himself. Maybe a backup-menu as precaution :)

abill_uk 2011-03-06 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancairo (Post 962047)

Come on get real will you, after the way we have been treated by Nokia how can you say such things... am loyal to my 900 but only becuase its a damm toy and will never be anything else especially in comparison with an Iphone.

OK we all know your a fanboy along with the fanboys that thanked your crazy post so as i said before get real, this thread is a complete joke !!!.

Benson 2011-03-06 23:28

I voted no, but I just realized I could be considered to have "converted" my Dad, as I played a significant role in the selection of the N900 he got as a birthday gift (from Mum and the kids still at home). He'd previously used Symbian (a Sony-Ericsson and an N96), and seems to like the N900 quite well.

But really, it was less a "conversion" and more making the folks aware of it -- it was an obvious fit, and he'd have bought one the minute he saw it (He's >50% by time Linux user since ~2000, FWIW.).

m4r0v3r 2011-03-06 23:35

IPhone users try to tell me because there phone has a pinch and zoom it's better, am still laughing when they have to go outside to get reception

Dancairo 2011-03-06 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 962078)
Come on get real will you, after the way we have been treated by Nokia how can you say such things... am loyal to my 900 but only becuase its a damm toy and will never be anything else especially in comparison with an Iphone.

OK we all know your a fanboy along with the fanboys that thanked your crazy post so as i said before get real, this thread is a complete joke !!!.

ah my friend! I can say such things precisely because I am NOT a nokia fanboy...I was always a sony ericsson user until the N95 8GB and the N900 is only my second Nokia. But really I have no interest in how Nokia treats me because if I don't like it I'll go elsewhere in future and this community has made this device what it is, not Nokia. In my opinion this is the still the best device on the market and having an iphone 4 to compare it too (my girlfriends) hasn't changed my mind. But that's all it is, my opinion, we all have them but they shouldn't be quoted as fact, which is how your post came across. I responded only for two reasons: 1. I have found you somewhat amusing in the past so your name caught my attention and 2. Travelling across London late on a bus there is little else to do.
As for the people who thanked me, well, maybe they too have tried an iphone and also disagreed with your post.

Don't take it all too seriously though, it's just a phone and in a couple of years we'll all be grazing in pastures new.

Dan

H3llb0und 2011-03-06 23:47

I have not been able to convert any iPhone user to the N900, but I am now regretting convincing one of my workmates to buy an N900 at the same time I did, because I have lost my N900 in December and moved on to Android while he is stuck with the N900.

I was able to convince one other of my workmates to not upgrade to an iPhone 4 from his very old Nokia phone and to get an Android phone, he is quite happy with it.

I am still very interested in the future of Maemo / MeeGo because it has a lot more potential than any other mobile OS out there... Still waiting.

bzbnd 2011-03-07 00:29

i've just converted a 1100 user to N900

abill_uk 2011-03-07 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancairo (Post 962095)
ah my friend! I can say such things precisely because I am NOT a nokia fanboy...I was always a sony ericsson user until the N95 8GB and the N900 is only my second Nokia. But really I have no interest in how Nokia treats me because if I don't like it I'll go elsewhere in future and this community has made this device what it is, not Nokia. In my opinion this is the still the best device on the market and having an iphone 4 to compare it too (my girlfriends) hasn't changed my mind. But that's all it is, my opinion, we all have them but they shouldn't be quoted as fact, which is how your post came across. I responded only for two reasons: 1. I have found you somewhat amusing in the past so your name caught my attention and 2. Travelling across London late on a bus there is little else to do.
As for the people who thanked me, well, maybe they too have tried an iphone and also disagreed with your post.

Don't take it all too seriously though, it's just a phone and in a couple of years we'll all be grazing in pastures new.

Dan

Thanks for the reply and no i am anything but serious but the fact is a few on here are very serious and i think they have reason to be really considering the amount they paid.

Your post brought back memories from years ago as you said travelling late on a bus in London with little else to do so i guess if we had had the N900 them days we would have been very amuzed haha.

I look on this as a game certainly not serious but for sure i have no time for fanboys because they are now looking very stupid indeed, ok i guess your not in that bracket so i take that back Dan !.

Enjoy the 900 for what it is, as you said this community has done absolute wonders and something i would never even attempt to critisize.

When i see the Iphone in action it does make me realise somewhat what the N900 lacks but that is my opinion.

JamesBond@ge 2011-03-07 00:48

Criticise.

Criticism.

abill_uk 2011-03-07 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge (Post 962123)
Criticise.

Criticism.

OK SMARTASS crawl back in your hole and keep quiet mr brownie points seeker !.

JamesBond@ge 2011-03-07 01:04

You bite everytime without fail. You're like the angry boy of TMO. I'd love to have a colleague such as yourself. You could be the butt of all jokes, all day long......wind him up and watch him go, like a clockwork mouse.

JamesBond@ge 2011-03-07 01:08

Anyway, it's a bit harsh to call this thread 'a joke'.

Though I do sometimes detect an inferiority complex with a lot of these posts where the iPhone is mentioned. Let the iPhone be the iPhone and let the N900 be the N900 I say. They are two totally different phones.

Daneel 2011-03-07 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 962127)

When I grab on I do not let go, like a killer whale going nuts on its trainer at Sea World.

gerbick 2011-03-07 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur (Post 962054)
The concept of no modern game aside from Angry Birds and the presense of preenv is kinda self contradictory.

Not 100% true. It's basically a method for you to play another OS's games on your non-supported phone. It's not the same given the fact that you will not buy those games via the OVI Store.

Quote:

I know you're probably exagerating, but still. The game situation sucked when the N900 came out, but it does improve as time goes on.
It still sucks. Over and over I've stated my dislike for emulators - thus my usage of the word "modern" and the fact that I've never paid for the frequently updated Angry Birds on my Android Phone and only 99 cents (one-time fee) on my iPhone and yet folks have had to pay for each update for the N900 isn't exactly fair nor has that come up in this thread.

It should.

It's not the same across the board by a long shot. And if I wanted... let's say Cut the Rope or Street Fighter IV or one of the Need for Speed games, can I get it for the N900? No... I'll have to wait for a game to either get ported, come out in an approximate version or just play the umpteenth version of Sudoku or some game from 1992.

I don't call that modern nor all that fun. I've already played those games on my SNES or Sega Genesis (Mega Drive for the rest of the world) as well as my Neo-Geo and Sega Dreamcast... and Playstation and even TurboGrafx - on a much bigger screen and with my friends... legally.

Quote:

There's also games ported from desktop linux distros that I don't think many phone platforms have. But yes, the N900 is lacking in games. If the user in question was impressed with it though, it's likely they were impressed with something else about it.
The Linux ported games are... horribly boring for the most part.... Tux Racer excluded perhaps.

The lack of gaming on Maemo is pretty obvious if you look at a typical customer's point of view. If you want more games, you have to either emulate (old ****), install Easy Debian (and play those games, some are unoptimized) or find games that may/may not run due to dependencies.

No exaggeration necessary. Modern gaming, combined with the overall lack of social gaming platforms - OpenFeint, Crystal for instance - it's a sad situation that never was addressed.

Gaming, lack of a proper PIM, wonky methods to create playlists (DoubleTwist is a much better option) and other issues plague the N900. Sure, you can hack the everliving **** out of it; but hack what in the end? Is it worth it that you might miss a phone call whilst hacking your phone?

Perhaps that's just me. Either way, make sure that whatever phone you do buy, works for you. If you convince another person, they either see what you saw in that platform or they were just that easy to convince.

And I'm still selling a bridge for those types of folks...

9000 2011-03-07 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson (Post 962085)
I voted no, but I just realized I could be considered to have "converted" my Dad, as I played a significant role in the selection of the N900 he got as a birthday gift (from Mum and the kids still at home). He'd previously used Symbian (a Sony-Ericsson and an N96), and seems to like the N900 quite well.

Oops, I voted no too, but as a second thought I just realized I could be considered to have "converted" mySelf! I studied N900 very carefully and converted myself from android to maemo, so I should have voted "Yes, an Android user" :D

gerbick 2011-03-07 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 962127)

Anger much? C'mon dude. Play nice.

Gerby says so...

Tedri Mark 2011-03-07 01:35

Didn't convert, but did have an amazed french guy ask me 'what console is that' as i played tony hawk 4 using a ps3 controller hilst sat waiting for a train...

Daneel 2011-03-07 01:40

It should also be also that you are preaching your own mantra with zero objectivity to the real situation.

The existance of preenv and playstation emulators(which impresses the pants off of the majority of people) makes HUGE difference
Most real gamers don't like the 2 minute style iphone games.
My iPhone owning friends mostly play gameloft style of games which are available via preenv anyway(oh yea, on OUR unsupported platform)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 962142)
Not 100% true. It's basically a method for you to play another OS's games on your non-supported phone. It's not the same given the fact that you will not buy those games via the OVI Store.

It still sucks. Over and over I've stated my dislike for emulators - thus my usage of the word "modern" and the fact that I've never paid for the frequently updated Angry Birds on my Android Phone and only 99 cents (one-time fee) on my iPhone and yet folks have had to pay for each update for the N900 isn't exactly fair nor has that come up in this thread.

It should.

It's not the same across the board by a long shot. And if I wanted... let's say Cut the Rope or Street Fighter IV or one of the Need for Speed games, can I get it for the N900? No... I'll have to wait for a game to either get ported, come out in an approximate version or just play the umpteenth version of Sudoku or some game from 1992.

I don't call that modern nor all that fun. I've already played those games on my SNES or Sega Genesis (Mega Drive for the rest of the world) as well as my Neo-Geo and Sega Dreamcast... and Playstation and even TurboGrafx - on a much bigger screen and with my friends... legally.

The Linux ported games are... horribly boring for the most part.... Tux Racer excluded perhaps.

The lack of gaming on Maemo is pretty obvious if you look at a typical customer's point of view. If you want more games, you have to either emulate (old ****), install Easy Debian (and play those games, some are unoptimized) or find games that may/may not run due to dependencies.

No exaggeration necessary. Modern gaming, combined with the overall lack of social gaming platforms - OpenFeint, Crystal for instance - it's a sad situation that never was addressed.

Gaming, lack of a proper PIM, wonky methods to create playlists (DoubleTwist is a much better option) and other issues plague the N900. Sure, you can hack the everliving **** out of it; but hack what in the end? Is it worth it that you might miss a phone call whilst hacking your phone?

Perhaps that's just me. Either way, make sure that whatever phone you do buy, works for you. If you convince another person, they either see what you saw in that platform or they were just that easy to convince.

And I'm still selling a bridge for those types of folks...

gerbick 2011-03-07 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneel (Post 962153)
It should also be also that you are preaching your own mantra with zero objectivity to the real situation.

So... let's answer this: Does Nokia sell WebOS games?

Quote:

The existance of preenv and playstation emulators(which impresses the pants off of the majority of people) makes HUGE difference
Not to me. Perhaps to you. Please don't project. I'm trying not to - notice my verbiage. I kept it rather egocentric on purpose.

Quote:

Most real gamers don't like the 2 minute style iphone games.
Most real gamers rather play on televisions or screens bigger than 3.5 inches via modern gaming systems or capable computers - and let's put it out there, WebOS isn't exactly the strongest mobile gaming platform out there. So to go upstream to one of the weakest gaming platforms is quite telling.

Quote:

My iPhone owning friends mostly play gameloft style of games which are available via preenv anyway(oh yea, on OUR unsupported platform)
Glad to hear that. Again, I'd love to hear where you're obtaining these Gameloft games. I'm sure they'd love to hear that too if it's not directly from them. If it is, kudos. I'm sure they appreciate that purchase from you.

Kajko 2011-03-07 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdanee (Post 962000)

Nope. Why would I subject anyone to torture?

Let your friend use the brick for a few weeks and then let's see what he has to say. He/she will be throwing the N900 against the wall and pulling hair in frustration.

Good luck.

geneven 2011-03-07 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge (Post 962123)
Criticise.

Criticism.

crit·i·cize
   /ˈkrɪtəˌsaɪz/ Show Spelled [krit-uh-sahyz] Show IPA verb, -cized, -ciz·ing.
–verb (used with object)
to censure or find fault with.

Also, especially British , crit·i·cise .

Daneel 2011-03-07 02:37

I lost my reply because of a unlucky backspace and IE(The japanese company where i work at right now uses a weak vista configuration for the client PCs)

Anywho, big chunk of software on my n900 doesn't come from the OVI repo.

If i had the option i'd always play on a big screen TV with the console of choice but when i go snowboarding with my friends the N900 is gold for them.

I've tried only 2 preenv games on my N900, N.O.V.A and Asphalt.
I have both on my Pre.
I don't see the relevance of piracy in this discussion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 962158)
So... let's answer this: Does Nokia sell WebOS games?

Not to me. Perhaps to you. Please don't project. I'm trying not to - notice my verbiage. I kept it rather egocentric on purpose.

Most real gamers rather play on televisions or screens bigger than 3.5 inches via modern gaming systems or capable computers - and let's put it out there, WebOS isn't exactly the strongest mobile gaming platform out there. So to go upstream to one of the weakest gaming platforms is quite telling.

Glad to hear that. Again, I'd love to hear where you're obtaining these Gameloft games. I'm sure they'd love to hear that too if it's not directly from them. If it is, kudos. I'm sure they appreciate that purchase from you.

gerbick 2011-03-07 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneel (Post 962185)
Anywho, big chunk of software on my n900 doesn't come from the OVI repo.

Thanks for at least answering that question. If it doesn't come from the OVI store, then it has to come from somewhere. If it doesn't come from the store... then where?

The problem is, that you're seemingly unwilling to answer is that basically... if you want modern games on the N900; you have to look elsewhere.

That was the point I was making.

Quote:

If i had the option i'd always play on a big screen TV with the console of choice but when i go snowboarding with my friends the N900 is gold for them.
My Samsung Captivate was the big hit this last trip. So we differ.

Quote:

I've tried only 2 preenv games on my N900, N.O.V.A and Asphalt.
I have both on my Pre.
I don't see the relevance of piracy in this discussion though.
It is very relevant. To play games that you'd like - even the aforesaid games you currently play - on the N900, you have to find a way to play them.

Not just purchase them, you have to locate them and then find a way to make them work. Thus, my original statement stands... if you want modern games on the N900 you have to look elsewhere.

Grok 2011-03-07 02:59

I let a graphic artist friend of mine try "MyPaint" for 15 minutes and he had one on order before I left his house! He had owned an iphone4 for just over 6 weeks.

My partner (who gets her phones paid for by her boss) tried an HTC but ended up with an iPhone 4. She ended up Using my N900 to do her emails and conduct her web searches while we were in Mexico, because she was frustrated by spotty connectivity in our hotel room, the auto-correct "feature" and her difficulties with going back to previous web pages in the browser......she almost tossed it into the Caribbean out of frustration.

This was ironic considering she is such luddite and the N900 is considered a nerdy phone by some of the users here.

Daneel 2011-03-07 06:02

My point was that the n900 has a gaming experience is not so grim as some people here try to paint it to be.
Yes, Android/iPhone experience might be better(i don't agree since playing games with a keyboard or a keypad is the only way to play games for me).
Yes, it might be more difficult to get access to a big portion of the N900 gaming experience when compared to Apple/Android universal app store but lets face it, as phones get more advanced, so do their users.

The N900 is quite good for my gaming needs and I have a long history of gaming - from attending Quake1/3 tournaments, making Quake Defrag videos, Starcraft tournaments and also successfully dabbling in the plague - World of Warcraft.
I suspect quite a few people who use the device feel the same way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 962186)
Thanks for at least answering that question. If it doesn't come from the OVI store, then it has to come from somewhere. If it doesn't come from the store... then where?

The problem is, that you're seemingly unwilling to answer is that basically... if you want modern games on the N900; you have to look elsewhere.

That was the point I was making.

My Samsung Captivate was the big hit this last trip. So we differ.

It is very relevant. To play games that you'd like - even the aforesaid games you currently play - on the N900, you have to find a way to play them.

Not just purchase them, you have to locate them and then find a way to make them work. Thus, my original statement stands... if you want modern games on the N900 you have to look elsewhere.

ysss 2011-03-07 06:10

If you ask me, Nokia has converted a sh*tload of maemo users to other platform (Android, iOS, WebOS, etc) with their quick one-two punch of discontinuing maemo and exiting MeeGo development.