maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   JollaC & Intex Aqua Fish (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Jolla C customs...?! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97232)

HtheB 2016-08-13 17:40

Jolla C customs...?!

So today, I got a mail from TNT telling met that I have to pay for customs: €43,56

The guys did NOT tell me that I have to pay for customs when I received the package.
Otherwise, I would have refused it untill things were sorted out.

But today, I just got a mail telling me that I have to pay.
We didn't even buy the phone, it should have come as a gift that we are participating the Community program...!?

Anyone else having the same problem?

mrsellout 2016-08-13 17:44

Re: Jolla C customs...?!

I'm sure I read some members on the main Jolla C thread had a similar issue, and showing the invoice with the VAT included fixed the issue. It might mean having to send a pic of the Jolla shop invoice.

Edit: This post by Mosen:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=709

peterleinchen 2016-08-13 19:25

@HtheB
As mrsellout stated just send mail back with 'invoice' that you received lately from Jolla.
That shows the VAT part and everything sent smooth for me (got that notification of custom declaration too).

Dave999 2016-08-13 19:53

Send a mail to jolla and tell the to pay the VAT.

GL

Bundyo 2016-08-14 07:02

Actually Jolla do pay the VAT if there is no other way. However, the only thing you need is to tell TNT that the package is clearly marked as DDP and they need to contact the sender to ask them if they agree to pay the VAT on the package, which they got from Jolla.

Wonko 2016-08-14 09:12

My experience is similar to that of peterleinchen and mrsellout:

I also got the notification about customs foo.
I forwarded the "Jolla Shop: confirmation for your order #...." e-mail to TNT with the reference that TNT gave me for this case and everything went incredibly smooth.
Even though all this happened on a Sunday, they reacted within a few (~3) hours and I could see that my package was forwarded that same day.

PS: For the order to Germany, the invoice actually lists the VAT:
SAILFISH COMMUNITY DEVICE PROGRAM SCDP-1606 1 €136.29
Subtotal €136.29
Shipping & Handling €0.00
Germany* (19%)
€25.90
Tax €25.90
Grand Total €162.19

According German regulations, the price before taxes is low enough that you do not have to pay customs, only VAT, which was already paid by Jolla.

HtheB 2016-08-14 14:04

The problem here is that I suddenly got a letter out of nowhere. TNT should have told me before handing over the package... Let's see what will happen when I contact them

mosen 2016-08-14 16:31

I can not safely tell what exactly happend, but your amount of 43 somewhat euros does not match the vat that is to be expected...

we paid 25,90€ at 19% vat for germany, turkey is at 18% so it should only be 24,53€.

The regulations for tax free import in turkey are different from germany and what they are trying to collect from you is propably import tax / import duty!

For germany, everything below 22€ is import vat and import tax free. between 22€ and 150€ is only import tax free but we needed to show we already paid vat at some point to avoid import vat.

For turkey i found at FedEx that the limit is 75€. Correct or do i mix up things?

Edit:
The 43,56€ correspond to 31,96% "whatever tax."
Searching for "Turkey 32% tax" returns they might want to charge you at maximum rate for Capital gains. LOL
(Could be coincidence though)

Are you the only turkish jolla c owner?

Wonko 2016-08-14 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1512548)
The 43,56€ correspond to 31,96% "whatever tax."

Well, there are also various other possibilities.
It could, e.g., be that they considered the ~160€ price (including taxes) as the gross price and added the taxes on top of that.
It could also be that they did not have further information about the price at all and "estimated" the price, which will usually be done in a way that they prefer overestimating the price rather than underestimating it.
It could also be that this includes customs fees, which is not the same as VAT etc.
Or a mixture of all the above or even something completely different.

Anyway, time will tell and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

mosen 2016-08-14 18:44

@wonko, totally!

All i wanted to point out is that my vat hint for german users propably has nothing to do with HtheBs case and not wanting to make him hope into that direction.
My guess is he will have to pay or find other means to challenge tnt or the authorities, sadly.

HtheB 2016-08-14 19:32

@mosen Yes I'm Turkish, but live in the Netherlands.
TNT also added some 'administration' money (€15) on top of it... That is why it's high.

Should I contact Jolla in this case..?

mosen 2016-08-14 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1512589)
@mosen Yes I'm Turkish, but live in the Netherlands.
TNT also added some 'administration' money (€15) on top of it... That is why it's high.

Should I contact Jolla in this case..?

Yes! All we can do is guess from our experience.
First try to find out what exactly it is you have to pay (vat/duty/other) and then tell Jolla and ask how they can help.

Nice to realize you just moved from ~3000km to max 300km distance in my estimate (living 40km from Netherland border) :D

Wonko 2016-08-14 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1512572)
@wonko, totally!

All i wanted to point out is that my vat hint for german users propably has nothing to do with HtheBs case and not wanting to make him hope into that direction.
My guess is he will have to pay or find other means to challenge tnt or the authorities, sadly.

Hehe, indeed.
I didn't want to sound like a smart alec, which, on the second time of reading my post, I probably did. ;)

Anyway, the good news seems to be that HtheB already has his JollaC and that it's "just" some formal things that need to be sorted out.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for this as well. :)

Bundyo 2016-08-14 20:19

In my case TNT Bulgaria insisted that what I paid to Jolla was not VAT but "some tax" (since VAT had to be collected by BG Customs and not by some company), so they proceeded to apply VAT on the whole sum (~160 EUR), thus it was a bit higher. This was probably expected by the chinese company sender, as they agreed to pay for it. However this happened 3 weeks after the package arrived in Bulgaria - during all this time I was the middle man between TNT Bulgaria and Jolla support and even a call from them didn't clear the things up. Almost a week after Jolla support called them TNT Bulgaria somehow understood how to handle DDP and the package cleared in a day. :)

HtheB 2016-08-14 22:57

Alright, I'll call TNT and will contact Jolla support to see what they have to say about all these....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1512591)
Nice to realize you just moved from ~3000km to max 300km distance in my estimate (living 40km from Netherland border) :D

hahaha :D well, I've been over here my whole life (born in the Netherlands :p)

rolh 2016-08-15 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1512532)
The problem here is that I suddenly got a letter out of nowhere. TNT should have told me before handing over the package... Let's see what will happen when I contact them

The same happened to me with DHL and my chimport Jolla Tablet. They sent the customs invoice days after I had received the tablet, while I was on vacation, with a ridiculous payment time of 10 days (of course from the time they had sent the bill)... So when I got back from my vacation, I had both the original invoice and the first reminder waiting in my mailbox :P

HtheB 2016-08-15 10:16

So... Just called TNT and told me that I just had to pay after all.. Because it's coming from Hong Kong.
I told them I've ordered it from Finland. Also told them that many other users online had the same issue and that they showed the invoice with the VAT and that they do not need to pay again.

She took some notes, and they'll be getting in touch with me when they have some news...

I'm not paying the these taxes... Because like I said to them, I wouldn't accept the package if I had to pay taxes at the end....

HtheB 2016-08-15 14:12

Contacted Jolla Care, this was their reply:

Quote:

Hello.

Sorry to learn of this.

According to our records VAT was paid.

And, as this was a DDP = delivery duty paid shipment, which was clearly printed on the customs invoice, this request from them is simply wrong.

We kindly advise that you advise them of the above, i.e., that it is a DDP shipment. Furthermore, they should contact the sender for any missing/additional cost issues.

Sorry for the hassle. And, should you still require assistance in the matter, you may reopen the case by replying to this message.

Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care
Edit: I called TNT once again, and since I've already contacted TNT about this, they told me to wait at least 2 days until the case has been resolved... So, right now, I just have to wait for their reply.

nieldk 2016-08-15 16:22

A little help coming your way

HtheB 2016-08-15 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1512645)
A little help coming your way

Thanks, but I don't think I deserve it at this moment.
(I probably don't need to pay for it at the end I guess)

There are other devs who are really deserving those helps :(

nieldk 2016-08-15 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1512648)
Thanks, but I don't think I deserve it at this moment.
(I probably don't need to pay for it at the end I guess)

There are other devs who are really deserving those helps :(

Helping others, by development, or, line you, to obtain devices, deserves recognition.
You derserve as much as any other here.

gsalone 2016-08-16 11:31

Got myself in similar situation, only that in my case Fedex Greece asked for 146 euros. After repeated mails and phonecalls, they contacted sender and automagically fee was paid (by sender), and I got my device without paying a penny.

n900user259 2016-08-23 22:02

Sooo, about 6 weeks ago I received a Jolla C and today I got an invoice from TNT regarding customs.
Any hints at how to proceed with this? For instance, where can I find the information that it was a DDP shipment?

Regards, n900user259

HtheB 2016-08-23 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900user259 (Post 1513377)
Sooo, about 6 weeks ago I received a Jolla C and today I got an invoice from TNT regarding customs.
Any hints at how to proceed with this? For instance, where can I find the information that it was a DDP shipment?

Regards, n900user259

I got ANOTHER (the same) invoice from them. Just call them and they will revert it.

n900user259 2016-08-23 23:02

Ok, I will give them a call but don't you need to prove that customs has already been paid? How do I go about that?
This is the first invoice I got from them (and hopefully the last).

nthn 2016-08-23 23:12

How is that even legal in the first place? They deliver a package, mention nothing of extra costs, then suddenly they ask you to pay? Does the business transaction not end the second you sign a paper confirming you've received the package?

Bundyo 2016-08-24 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900user259 (Post 1513381)
Ok, I will give them a call but don't you need to prove that customs has already been paid? How do I go about that?

It should be written somewhere on the label the sender placed on the package. TNT should have sent it scanned along with the message (or check the packaging of the Jolla C, since you already received it). Though as nthn had put it - this shouldn't be very legal, as you may have destroyed the packaging...

pichlo 2016-08-24 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1513382)
How is that even legal in the first place? They deliver a package, mention nothing of extra costs, then suddenly they ask you to pay? Does the business transaction not end the second you sign a paper confirming you've received the package?

Not necessarily. Goods, payments and invoices often travel by different channels. It is not uncommon to receive the invoice after you've received the goods.

juiceme 2016-08-24 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1513391)
Not necessarily. Goods, payments and invoices often travel by different channels. It is not uncommon to receive the invoice after you've received the goods.

Indeed. This global economy we live in doesn't act lice your local grocery store :eek:

HtheB 2016-08-24 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by n900user259 (Post 1513381)

Just tell them that it is a DDP (they know what it is)
Also, tell them that they are.thiefs and that they try to steal money from people who are unfamiliar with these things.
The could make a 1time mistake, but as I've seen it's not a mistake at all! They just try to gwt money even when they don't have the rights for it!

pichlo 2016-08-24 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1513398)
Indeed. This global economy we live in doesn't act lice your local grocery store :eek:

It's not just that. This was quarter a century ago in a country that no longer exists so things may be different where you live now but...

...once upon a time, an invoice was a tax document. In a sense that as far as the taxman was concerned, the date on your invoice was the date when the income or expenditure (depending on whether you are the seller or buyer) was counted from. Of course, this is not necessarily convenient, especially if you have customers who delay the payment: you start paying tax on the money you have not received yet. So companies started sending you invoices after you paid for the goods.

For customers with accounting department demanding invoices to authorize payment, an entity called "pro-forma invoice" was invented. This document was not an official tax document and could be discarded once the real invoice arrived.

Of course, in these enligtened times, we do not resort to such practices :)

juiceme 2016-08-24 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1513439)
It's not just that. This was quarter a century ago in a country that no longer exists so things may be different where you live now but...

...once upon a time, an invoice was a tax document. In a sense that as far as the taxman was concerned, the date on your invoice was the date when the income or expenditure (depending on whether you are the seller or buyer) was counted from. Of course, this is not necessarily convenient, especially if you have customers who delay the payment: you start paying tax on the money you have not received yet. So companies started sending you invoices after you paid for the goods.

Now lo and behold, this is the way things are in Finland. You are required to pay your VAT dues before the darn customers ever pay you a penny, and guess what happens when you have done so and the customer files for bankcrupcy in the intermediate period...
Yes, you guessed it, the taxman gets to keep the money. Not indefinitely though, you'll get it back eventually, in about 2 years if uou are still in business by then! :eek:

But this comes as no surprise to anyone since we are the easternmost country in europe excluding Russia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1513439)
For customers with accounting department demanding invoices to authorize payment, an entity called "pro-forma invoice" was invented. This document was not an official tax document and could be discarded once the real invoice arrived.

Of course, in these enligtened times, we do not resort to such practices :)

heh, just today I wrote up an invoice to a customer I needed to date back to beginning of july by customers request :D

Andy666 2016-09-17 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1512472)
So today, I got a mail from TNT telling met that I have to pay for customs: €43,56

The guys did NOT tell me that I have to pay for customs when I received the package.
Otherwise, I would have refused it untill things were sorted out.

But today, I just got a mail telling me that I have to pay.
We didn't even buy the phone, it should have come as a gift that we are participating the Community program...!?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Not really a problem but DHL also charged me about the same for my Aqua Fish. It wasn't a gift but €44,- seems a bit to much compared to the price of the phone. Still a great device to own :D

nthn 2016-09-17 20:25

They really like their 'administratieve kosten'...

rigow 2016-09-19 10:49

Got the same today and indicated this to the french anti-fraud squad. They should have known better. This seems to be a large scale problem of TNT.

pichlo 2016-09-19 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigow (Post 1515297)
This seems to be a large scale problem of TNT.

Shooting the messenger? I would be more inclined to blame the sender for filling in the forms incorrectly.