maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   How bad is the mail client... (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37225)

DaveQB 2009-12-14 22:48

How bad is the mail client...

I am LOVING my N900. It is so fantastic.

But it is not without its downfalls [all software so sure to be fixed ]

The email client for me, is unbelievably bad.
1. It takes about 20mins to check my email.
2. It uses 100% cpu for the entire time it is checking.
3. Email that is read, deleted etc are not updated on the server-side, so when I check on a different client later, nothing I did on the N900 is reflected.
4. You can't do any searching.
5. It doesn't respect subscribed folder settings on the server

Is this just me, or do you all experience this and are hanging out for an upgrade in the email client like me?

hypnotik 2009-12-14 22:53

Re: How bad is the mail client...

No, I think the email client is pretty atrocious.

chase15 2009-12-14 22:55

are u sure?.. i did a test... i used to laptop then send an email on my email add.... tried it several times and my n900 receives 1st the email than my other laptop...

ndi 2009-12-14 22:57

No searching, true.

I have none of your other problems. Works like a charm. In fact, I was impressed. Sorry to hear about your issues.

Edit:
Oh, and, as per design, server is updated on disconnection on POP access, not as-is-done. You need to manually disconnect the client to reflect changes.

DaveQB 2009-12-14 23:00

I am wondering if it's the amount of email I have on my account.

I tried moving a lot out of my inbox into a folder, but I think it tries to check all folders. I'd say I have about 20,000 emails.

But I get the same issue with my work account which is small, like only about 5,000 emails.

I'd like to test it by turning off any folder checking, but there is no option for that :(

I am jealous of you chase15

Random 2009-12-14 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveQB (Post 427976)
I am LOVING my N900. It is so fantastic.

But it is not without its downfalls [all software so sure to be fixed ]

The email client for me, is unbelievably bad.
1. It takes about 20mins to check my email.
2. It uses 100% cpu for the entire time it is checking.
3. Email that is read, deleted etc are not updated on the server-side, so when I check on a different client later, nothing I did on the N900 is reflected.
4. You can't do any searching.
5. It doesn't respect subscribed folder settings on the server

Is this just me, or do you all experience this and are hanging out for an upgrade in the email client like me?

I have similar problems with my N900 and I ran out of knowledge how to fix the problem, did all my e-mail accounts several times but just sometimes takes ages to see the inbox as the client is updating it.

ymb 2009-12-14 23:03

I am using it with Gmail over IMAP, and i have seen 2, 3 and 4.

The 100% I can sort of cope with (many apps *briefly* spike the CPU), but it is annoying when listening to podcasts as it causes them to "stutter"

On a number of occasions I have seen items not getting marked as read (although that might be as I leave email on 30 minute updates).

The search thing is very anoying, but luckily I can just fire up a browser and serch via that ;)

DaveQB 2009-12-14 23:29

Just off-topic. Is there a wiki or tracker of some sort that I can add my little issues/suggestions I am finding with the device or add my vote to existing issues raised?

Thanks

inzimam 2009-12-15 01:03

I find it really poor too!

I'm using Gmail over IMAP.

You can't search the emails,

You can't mark/ select multiple emails.

Opening a message takes ages,

Why does it not reflect what I do on the server. I don't want to be deleting messages twice!

I'm not impressed with this at all.

ArmandHammer 2009-12-15 01:59

im having horrible syncing problems with both my exchange and gmail.
i have it set to check every 30 minutes but it syncs randomly. sometimes days at a time. Anybody have this happen it them?