maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60599)

MohammadAG 2010-08-18 13:38

[Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Many (including me) were particularly annoyed with the introduction of the PR1.2 menu, which had slower (much slower) kinetic scrolling.

Here's a modified hildon-desktop package which has this reversed, and includes all fixes post PR1.2 (call UI glitching etc...).

Download link: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/...+0m5_armel.deb
It will not install via the application manager

Package should only be installed on PR1.2, it will not conflict with future updates (if any).

To install the package (rootsh and wget have to be installed):
Code:

root
wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
dpkg -i hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
killall hildon-desktop

If you can't/don't want to install wget, download it to your PC, copy it to the "root" directory of your "Nokia N900" device (/home/user/MyDocs) via USB/ssh then
Code:

root
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
killall hildon-desktop

An apt-get upgrade will reinstall the PR1.2 one (possibly because it prefers versions in the repo), so you may want to pin it.

Code:

echo "Package: hildon-desktop
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1001" >> /etc/apt/preferences


bipinbn 2010-08-18 13:45

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
thank you for this..i desperately needed that fast scrolling back in the menu.. :)

taril 2010-08-18 13:50

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
You should add this to bugzilla, as a solution for the next release of Maemo 5 update!

MohammadAG 2010-08-18 14:19

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taril (Post 790521)
You should add this to bugzilla, as a solution for the next release of Maemo 5 update!

Apparently it was intended.

Quote:

Increase decceleration of TidyFingerScroll because some users felt like in space.

slender 2010-08-18 14:30

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MohammadAG (Post 790504)
... includes all fixes post PR1.2 (call UI glitching etc...).

Hmmm. Is there any detailed list of these fixes?

luomuhappo 2010-08-18 14:43

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Mother of god it went fast o_o

clasificado 2010-08-18 14:44

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
I dont know why this kind of fixes are hard coded by nokia and not in a configuration file

Thanks MohammadAG

MohammadAG 2010-08-18 14:45

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slender (Post 790555)
Hmmm. Is there any detailed list of these fixes?

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...commits/master

Already started a community SSU for the N900 which includes new updated packages, details about that later. ;)

gsever 2010-08-18 15:00

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Nice, works charmingly after a manual download and installation. For some reason it gives an error using the wget approach.

Code:

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs# wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
--09:53:38--  http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
          => `hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb'
Resolving mohammadag.xceleo.org... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.

How do you compile Nokia specific apps yourself? I see there are some progress on some default apps what is provided beyond PR 1.2. Is there any tutorial around?

Thanks.

MohammadAG 2010-08-18 15:08

Re: [Announce] Faster kinetic scrolling in app menu (PR1.2)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsever (Post 790593)
Nice, works charmingly after a manual download and installation. For some reason it gives an error using the wget approach.

Code:

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs# wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
--09:53:38--  http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb
          => `hildon-desktop_kinetic_2.2.138-1+0m5_armel.deb'
Resolving mohammadag.xceleo.org... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.

How do you compile Nokia specific apps yourself? I see there are some progress on some default apps what is provided beyond PR 1.2. Is there any tutorial around?

Thanks.

Not sure why wget failed for you, works for me :)
Same way you would compile any other packages, fixes I've found at the moment are for hildon-desktop, hildon-home, hildon-status-menu and hildon-application-manager.
What I'm interested in is the new pulseaudio package, but that hasn't been released yet :(

Anyways, I'll post more about this when I post links to it (SSU)


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:41.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8