maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N810 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   wimax in baltimore? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24383)

rjzak 2008-10-17 21:27

wimax in baltimore?

so i am in towson, just north of baltimore, and i can see xohm but the network connection times out on the activation page, then the signal drops and cant be reestablished until the device is restarted. the connection manager shows full xohm signal. any thoughts?

XOHMGuy 2008-10-17 22:22

Re: wimax in baltimore?

Hey Rjzak - did you check the coverage map for the spot you're accessing from? Towson is covered according to the area code. If you are in a spot that definitely should have XOHM and you're experiencing issues like this, here's the customer service number and info:

1-877-333-XOHM (9646)

Mon – Fri: 7am to 11pm EST
Sat – Sun: 10am to 9pm ES

Let us know how it turns out, and if there's anything I can do to help.

rjzak 2008-10-17 22:37

I was in the coverage area. I was at The Orient restaurant which is across the street from the library on York Rd, about a block & a half from the Towson circle

rjzak 2008-10-17 23:59

I called the awesome folks at xohm & they said I am the first N810 WE in Baltimore (yay!) & they don't support them yet. They will on Monday, which is also new tower day!

rjzak 2008-10-18 00:36

well it works now, they called me back with a fix!

fragos 2008-10-18 23:25

Just curious, what was the fix? Perhaps others would benefit from your experience.

rjzak 2008-10-19 18:08

It wasn't a fix on my end, rather they had to manually create my account on their end, and they did it wrong (didn't properly enter the WiMax MAC address from my device to my account). So they made a new account, and credited me the amount I paid for the old account.

Also, while driving around yesterday, the signal would drop a lot. I started from Sefton Ave (northen part of the city) and headed down Hartford Road to North Ave, then to Howard Street, then to MLK Blvd, then to 395S then to 95S, and the signal was gone for good about a mile from the City/County line, which I figured. But I didn't think I would have to reconnect to WiMax every 3 minutes or so. Also, there were a lot of dead spots along Hartford Rd about 2 miles from North Ave. I don't know how the others who reviewed Xohm with a laptop and express card were able to get solid signal while driving (I think it was Laptop Mag that said this).

fragos 2008-10-19 20:23

Radio wave reception is affected by many things. Laptops having bigger batteries might have an impact. Trees and tall buildings can also impact reception. Some wave lengths are pickier than others. Microwaves tend to be line of sight. To get perfect coverage everywhere the carriers may have to add more transmitters or repeaters to tailor there networks for coverage in specific locations. Being new Xohm still may have work to do in this department.

machinecode 2008-10-19 20:48

Laptop cards will not have a problem as they will have larger antennaes than a IT and they can probably have all the power they want from the lapop battery. The IT is in your hands therefore your hands will impact the wimax signal... whereas PC cards dont have this issue.

Scarflash 2008-10-19 23:52

This is awesome..Looking forward to the lowering wme price :D