maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   adjusting screen sensitivity (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34611)

archzai 2009-11-17 01:44

adjusting screen sensitivity

was watching the engadget review
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/n...-on/#continued

and never really realized how much pressure was needed. is there a way to adjust the screen sensitivity through software?!

bandora 2009-11-17 01:49

Re: adjusting screen sensitivity

Quote:

Originally Posted by archzai (Post 378761)
was watching the engadget review
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/n...-on/#continued

and never really realized how much pressure was needed. is there a way to adjust the screen sensitivity through software?!

But see here's the thing.. It doesn't need that much pressure.. at all!! What's happening there is that the reviewer is used to Capacitive screen (iPhone) and now he's trying to navigate in a resistive with like BARELY putting his finger on it.. and even when he puts his finger.. he's still doing it "capacitive style".. if you tilt your finger a little bit (have a bit of nail) it will respond a lot better and you don't need to put that MUCH pressure on the screen..

goodfellabk718 2009-11-17 02:20

i so hate, well, dislike that engadget preview

christexaport 2009-11-17 03:02

Chris Ziegler was purposely trying to make it look hard, even though the dozens of reviews online show no such issue, and usually speak of exactly the opposite. In fact, look at the review from this morning. In the begiinning, the screen looks to work just fine. But as soon as he starts talking about capacitive vs. resistive, he starts having issues. Hmm...

Don't put all your trust in one review, especially from Chris, who's known for having agendas when doing reviews. Check at least 5-10 reviews from different people in various locales, and judge them collectively, not individually. Not every reviewer is an expert, reputable, or of the same technical expertise as you.

klinglerware 2009-11-17 03:27

I barely have to touch the screen on the n800 to have the input register, and that is with a screen protector.

I did play around briefly with the n900 at the NYC meetup, and did not really notice any issues with the touchscreen. I did not spend enough time to truly compare, but reputedly the n900 is supposed to be more responsive than the n800/n810. If that's the case, then I don't think there should be any worries about screen sensitivity. If you are used to a capacitive screen, that's probably another story though.

ArmandHammer 2009-11-17 04:18

That is pretty funny, earlier in the video he is barley pressing the display to swipe the home screens but then the minute he says it is resistive he starts pushing down on the screen like an idiot. Immediately after he is done talking about it he goes back to using it like a normal person. I haven't read one review that has said the screen is a problem. I'm not too worried about it.

Bratag 2009-11-17 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmandHammer (Post 378855)
That is pretty funny, earlier in the video he is barley pressing the display to swipe the home screens but then the minute he says it is resistive he starts pushing down on the screen like an idiot. Immediately after he is done talking about it he goes back to using it like a normal person. I haven't read one review that has said the screen is a problem. I'm not too worried about it.

Every review I have read says it is super sensitive. If you watch other demo videos you can see the pressure when swiping etc is minimal. The engadget clown has been trumpeting the capacativeV resistive screen for ages now. I rarely read that site anymore as it has gone from being a tech site to a bunch of op-ed pieces

archzai 2009-11-17 06:24

ah okay thanks guys
in all the videos it seemed fine too, but it seemed like he was putting so much visible pressure on the screen, maybe he is trying to exaggerate. :)

christexaport 2009-11-19 03:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmandHammer (Post 378855)

So I wasn't the only one that noticed, I see. I'm on a crusade to expose Chris Z, because he's become so agenda driven, he's ruining my favorite site. I love Chris, but he's not being reputable right now. Being a reviewer requires integrity he refuses to display right now.

I told him to just ask for a capacitive screen and stop acting like the resistive one is useless.

hOrZa 2009-11-19 10:06

have they pulled the video?

Edit: forget that it must be an Opera thing.