maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Granule - flashcard program for maemo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=1197)

vlg 2006-01-26 19:44

Granule - flashcard program for maemo

A flashcard program, granule, is available for maemo. It is written in C++ using hildon-widgetsmm C++ wrappers.

Project home page
Maemo port details (.deb package/dependencies/screenshots)
On-line documentation

Hedgecore 2006-01-26 19:56

Looks like the 770 also inadvertantly replaced cue cards for speeches. ;)

RogerS 2006-01-26 20:11

I downloaded Granule yesterday, but wasn't able to get it working.

Did you have any success with it? And how did you launch it -- anything special? I started Xterm and typed "granule" but nothing happened.

vlg 2006-01-26 20:38

RogerS,

did you install all dependencies?

They are:
(hildon wrappers)
  • hildon-fmmm_0.1.0-1_arm.deb
  • hildon-widgetsmm_0.1.0-1_arm.deb
  • libglibmm-2.4-1_2.6.1-1_arm.deb
  • libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a_2.6.5-1_arm.deb
  • libsigc++-2.0-0c2a_2.0.16-2_arm.deb

libassa:
  • libassa_3.4.0_arm.deb

Granule:
  • granule_1.2.1_arm.deb

Link for Hildon-related packages
Link for libassa package
Link for Granule

(I'll try to repackage them to reduce the number for the next release).

The order of installation is not important, but in my tests I always install granule_arm.deb last.

Once installed, you should be able to launch Granule from usual 'Extras->' menu. You should not need xterm to start it.

If it still doesn't come up, open xterm, and try:

% granule --log-leve=3 --log-stdout=yes

and let me know what's been reported.

RogerS 2006-01-27 04:45

It must have been very late when I was trying this last night.

I did look in the Extras menu, but missed it there. Tonight, after seeing your post, I looked again and just launched Granule from the Extras menu a moment ago. I'll try it out in the morning on the train to work.

So I guess it's redundant to say that yes, I was careful to install all the dependencies and happened to install granule last.

Thanks for this app. And, of course, having all of them in one package (or fewer anyway) would make things simpler.

I wasn't able to watch the Flash files on my 770 though -- memory problems. No surprise, huh? :-)

Roger

RogerS 2006-01-27 13:01

Got started this morning -- had two crashes, which I'll post to your bug report.

Am having a bit of trouble just figuring out how to add cards one at a time manually. I should be able to figure it out, but, still, I haven't yet. :-)

Which page in the help file is that on?

I want to use this not for language or vocabulary, but to help my six-year-old learn to spell. I'm thinking: Get the program to pronounce the word, after clicking it would spell it, letter by letter and show it on the front.

First, I'd better get a TTS engine (FLite) working on the 770.

vlg 2006-01-28 03:37

RogerS,

thanks for heads up - I inadvertently broke code that is responsible for adding new cards. In my tests, I only used the deck files that I had put together on my desktop. As soon as I find out the time, I'll provide the fix.

You can play these Flash tutorials to get the general idea, or read the Deck chapter of the manual.

For now, until I fix the bug you came across, you might want to install it on your desktop, create a deck and then use the deck on nokia.

Although granule can pronounce the words, it relies on an outside program such as sox to actually play the sound. Nokia 770 uses gstreamer which I am not familiar with (on my list of todo things).

BTW, thanks for using SF bug tracking - it helps me to keep track of things.

DCForever 2006-01-28 03:54

A Good place to find Flashcards

A good place I found to get flash cards is www.studystack.com. You can export flashcards to a .csv file format. Although, what is weird is that the Nokia 770 says it downloads them, but it doesn't show them anywhere in the file manager. Weird.

vlg 2006-01-28 17:02

Quote:

Although, what is weird is that the Nokia 770 says it downloads them, but it doesn't show them anywhere in the file manager. Weird.
Nokia file manager shows only officially recognizable MIME types (files that can be opened by officially installed applications). All third-party apps are not allowed (at the moment) to expand the list of MIME types. I hope this will change in the future.

vlg 2006-03-20 23:17

New version of Granule (flashcards) 1.2.1 released.

Granule v1.2.1 has reached a stable status and is ready for the end-user audience.

The latest update can be found on its web site: granule.sourceforge.net

Let me know if you have any problems.
-Vlad

P.S. For those who have it already installed, you might want (optionally) to upgrade one of its depenencies, libassa as well.