maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why do nokia make big phones?? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44037)

UNderworld 2010-02-10 19:20

Why do nokia make big phones??

It was the days when Razr was famous ... THIN phones were a "fashion".. then came the N90 (112 x 51 x 24 mm).... followed by all the Nseries which were also big... N93, N95.. by big I mean some were thick....

Now, HTC is making sleek phones like the HD2, nexus one, and Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

Do they make it big on purpose? or "thick"??

craftyguy 2010-02-10 19:26

Re: Why do nokia make big phones??

Maybe it's to compensate for an extremely small...wait, I don't want to be banned ;)

Rob1n 2010-02-10 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNderworld (Post 519965)
It was the days when Razr was famous ... THIN phones were a "fashion".. then came the N90 (112 x 51 x 24 mm).... followed by all the Nseries which were also big... N93, N95.. by big I mean some were thick....

Now, HTC is making sleek phones like the HD2, nexus one, and Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

Nokia make all sizes of phones - they've a range unequalled by any other provider. Yes, the N900 is very chunky, but personally I prefer that.

UNderworld 2010-02-10 19:39

i understand its very chunky.... wouldnt it be better if they made a few more space for a bigger battery, squeeze the hardware inside.....??

its a problem all/most smartphones suffer from: battery

Enyibinakata 2010-02-10 19:42

Then again they also make sleekers like E72. its the best looking phone ever. Nokia 6700 is also thin tough and sleek. I hope the next maemo device is sleek

Texrat 2010-02-10 19:43

RAZRs paid for that thinness with very high hinge failure rates.

nightfire 2010-02-10 19:44

They make big phones for people like me. I actually think the n900 is a bit too small.

People who want thin small phones can choose from other Nokia products, or HTC products, or Motorola products, etc.

But there are very few vendors offering as powerful a solution as the n900. Power takes space. That's technology.

Laughing Man 2010-02-10 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNderworld (Post 519965)
Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

If I recall the Droid's keyboard isn't that great feedback wise since it's flat. Though the keyboard itself doesn't explain the N900's size. It's likely also the N900 has more hardware inside (TV out, etc..)

Though I think a tear down by tekseven also showed that there was still space that could've been shrunk.

vietn900 2010-02-10 19:46

well unless you don't want the 5mp carlz zeiss lens on the n-series then i might be slimmer. Like on the samsung behond on t-mbile it has 5mp looks slimm compare to the n95 but the camera is crappy compare to the n95.

but nokia do make slim phones ... check out the e-series (e71,72,55 so on) ... no one can top that build quality

biggzy 2010-02-10 20:11

Alot of devices these days are big, id prefer a big phone that can do all than have a slim device that lacks important things.

Having had N80, N95, N97 etc the N900 isnt too big, but for people coming from a crappy dumb jave phone then it will seem huge.