maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Android (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   [Q][Experts needed?] Any way to improve NITDroid N14 (ICS) performance? Or even compile CM9 myself? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83511)

AndyYan 2012-04-08 07:47

[Q][Experts needed?] Any way to improve NITDroid N14 (ICS) performance? Or even compile CM9 myself?

Flashed NITDroid N14 3 months ago and it turned out to be EXTREMELY laggy so I returned to N12 and wondered why an OMAP3430 runs so bad on ICS... Then I bought myself a secondhand Motorola Milestone (also based on OMAP3430 and 256MB mem), flashed CM9 and it runs NICE AND SMOOTH!
Though I know the smoothness is not due to CM optimizations (the real reason is the lack of HW accel module in N14), is there any way to change this situation?
Since I got the ICS Milestone, can I fetch some system files and squeeze them into N900 to enable HW accel?
And I'm mouth-watering for some cool functions in CM7/CM9 too, so is it possible to blend NIT and CM sources for compiling and produce a working CM package for N900? (Total Linux n00b...)

retsaw 2012-04-08 08:33

Re: [Q][Experts needed?] Any way to improve NITDroid N14 (ICS) performance? Or even compile CM9 myself?

I doubt this is the best place to ask such a question since few here know the guts of Android well enough to help you. Perhaps it would be better to ask on the NITDroid forums or the xda-developers forums.

I expect the drivers you need for hardware acceleration have some dependencies on the kernel and the hardware is probably not quite similar enough to just drop the Milestone kernel on the N900 and have it work. So, to do what you want to do you probably need get the necessary parts from the Milestone kernel into the N900s kernel. The Milestone's kernel should be open source and N900's certainly is (though it may be better using the kernel from the N900 version of Meego which is newer than the Maemo kernel) so it should be possible, but not simple.

I could be on the wrong track here about needing bits from the Milestone kernel to get it working, since I'm not an expert on these things, but I don't think I am.

kamil365 2012-04-08 17:57

Re: [Q][Experts needed?] Any way to improve NITDroid N14 (ICS) performance? Or even compile CM9 myself?

Sorry but... your question may not be even qualified as a april's fool joke...:p

vakkov 2012-04-08 20:13

We have already discussed this problem - there are no ics libraries for our GPU (sgx530 rev 121). However they have managed to make it with milestone... now i am working for CM7 port for n900 but soon we can try their work on n900

MastaG 2012-04-08 20:39

vakkov,

if I understand correctly they made hardware acceleration using sgx530 rev 121 working with ICS on the motorola milestone?
If yes, are they going to share their drivers so we can also have accelerated UI in ics on the n900?

vakkov 2012-04-09 06:16

MastaG you have understood correctly! They have shared their code - http://android.doshaska.net/cm9 look at the xda thread - there are some videos there

AndyYan 2012-04-09 06:31

Voila to you guys' reply!
See, Milestone guys (doshaska, nadlabak) made it run on ICS so I think it's possible to build the driver from that source (Linux n00b again, no idea how to). Question is, never had anyone tried (or thought about this) before?
Plus the latter question, any easy way to cross-compile NIT and CM sources? At least if rev.121 driver fails we can always have a working CM7.2 RC1 from @vakkov (cheers)...

AndyYan 2012-04-09 13:40

Anyone seeing this?

PartyboyXP 2012-04-10 21:13

I think that only e-yes can optimize N14 but he is busy with nitdroid for N9. I hope that sometime back to work in our N900 :(

AndyYan 2012-04-21 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyboyXP (Post 1190531)
I think that only e-yes can optimize N14 but he is busy with nitdroid for N9. I hope that sometime back to work in our N900 :(

Bull***** right you do... I went to NITDroid official forum and the N900 forum has only one post left guiding everybody to build NITDroid on our own from sources... How are we non-devs with not even a Linux computer have time and network resources to build that?! (ESP. I'm still a senior high student!)
Please e-yes, just don't bugger too much on N9, I flashed one for my mate a week ago and really it has same bugs as ICS on N900 apart from smooth UI... Come solve our probs first... Make it equal as you did to us in NIT's previous times... At least fix the UI!!