maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nokia wants new CEO: Report (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58804)

drangina 2010-07-20 11:41

Nokia wants new CEO: Report

Well this may sound good to some people but I think changing the CEO at this time is not a good project and can disrupt the future plans for Nokia.:(

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...ow/6190426.cms

bugelrex 2010-07-20 12:25

Re: Nokia wants new CEO: Report

Its Damn good, the CEO sets the direction of the company.. the last 5 years have been a complete failure

I just hope the new CEO realizes Symbian is whats dragging the company down..

gerbick 2010-07-20 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugelrex (Post 757781)
the last 5 years have been a complete failure

2008 was one of the company's best fiscal year.

Helmuth 2010-07-20 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 757790)
2008 was one of the company's best fiscal year.

This is not ever what a company needs in the long term run... but you're right.

Rauha 2010-07-20 13:38

It's been only about five months since WSJ told us that OPK could lose his job at the annual shareholders meeting. Turned out to be bogus.

Nokia wants new CEO: Rumour.

benny1967 2010-07-20 14:07

if it's true this time, it's bad news, isn't it? a new ceo would have to change at least something so that people see he's there?

what could he change?

the "qt on symbian and meego" strategy? better not. i think that's good.
he could ditch symbian.... better not. i like it better than all other phone OSs i've tried, including maemo.
he could ditch meego, of course... but i hope he won't.

is there anything at all he could do that would change things for the better? (for me as a consumer, not for the shareholders.)

fatalsaint 2010-07-20 14:15

I Just hope the new CEO doesn't drop MeeGo and go Android. Then there will never be another phone just for me *sob sob*.

My N900 can't really last *forever*... I mean, it's cool and all.. but..

Milhouse 2010-07-20 14:44

Having used Android for the last few days, it would be a major backward step for Nokia to ditch Maemo/MeeGo for Android, as they're not competitors at all - Symbian vs. Android seems more appropriate. Nokia with Maemo/MeeGo have the opportunity to define a new market segment all to themselves.

Viipottaja 2010-07-20 15:07

Benny, exactly. The strategy is largly right, execution needs to improve. So the CEO could do a bunch of smaller things:
- put fire under some asses to move things accross the board faster
- make sure stupid quality control mistakes are reduced (how on earth could they miss the shiny ring around N900 camera causing a big problem with flash, for example?)
- reaffirm the market that Meego and Symbian is where its at, NO Android, thank you very much
- make sure inexplicable side projects are dropped - see e.g. the Symbian Radio they demoed in a trade fair some time ago and that Symbian Guru even reviewed - what the hell was that? Didn't they learn anything from the picture pendandt and other weird accessories of the past?
- make that Microsoft partnership move faster to provide some meaningful competition to RIM.
- make sure no one leaves work at 4pm and cancels all vacation time for next 6 months at least for both strategically and execution wise important staff
- try to make upgrading from S^3 to S^4 possible.

etc.

vvaz 2010-07-20 15:27

What Nokia needs is good, really good implementation of OVI package. Rest is in place already or goes in good direction:

- Symbian - refresh of UI and underlying system - OK
- MeeGo - well, I am not sure if hiccup with abandoning of Maemo was necessary but lets say it may be good
- Qt everywhere - unified UI library for all Nokia systems + desktops + even Android (they are working on it, slowly and nothing official but effort is there)
- hardware - pushing prices of smartphones down and making them affordable for much, much more people - great!

The only - but crucial - missing piece is OVI which on paper provides market for apps, place for meetings and numerous services but execution so far is hopeless.

Also what bugelrex wrote: new CEO will try to be visible and with attitude "new boss is here" can do much damage. Especially if (s)he comes from the other side of Atlantic.