maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Accessories (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   N900: Car Kit & Mounts (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33915)

Fargus 2009-11-03 15:27

N900: Car Kit & Mounts

What equipment is available to allow the N900 to be used in a similar manner to the N97 and other Nokia phones with their car kits?

Whilst the Bluetooth apparently works with most Bluetooth car kits, do we have physical mounts available and does the automatic pickup of calls function?

Apologies if this is somewhere else but I can't see it after looking.

Bishop 2009-11-27 10:01

Re: N900: Car Kit & Mounts

For in car calling I use a bluetooth nokia device. No need for something special here. BUT: charging and having a good view at the phone is another matter.
I asked Brodit for an active holder, this was their reply:

Q: Can you inform me if and when Brodit will release an active holder for the Nokia N900?

A: For the moment we don’t have any plans for this but it can be changed so please check our web for updates in the middle of December.

So let's all mail them to produce a n900 active holder :)

Fargus 2009-11-30 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop (Post 395484)
For in car calling I use a bluetooth nokia device. No need for something special here. BUT: charging and having a good view at the phone is another matter.

Q: Can you inform me if and when Brodit will release an active holder for the Nokia N900?

A: For the moment we don’t have any plans for this but it can be changed so please check our web for updates in the middle of December.

Hi Bishop, thanks for the feedback.

Mynokia carkit works with the Bluetooth though people the other end have been stating that there is a delayed echo in their voice coming back to them which is a tad offputting. Do you have the same issue?

I was hoping to find that Nokia would release a cradle similar to that for the N97 so I could solve the visibility and also usability issue too. In the UK you have to have a phone in a cradle if you want to be able to use it to place outgoing unless you have Voice Activated dialing (I wish!!).

adrianp 2009-11-30 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop (Post 395484)

I did just that yesterday and received the following reply :
Quote:

We hope to release holders for this phone before Christmas.
Please check our web for updates.
I've added a Prius Proclip to my Xmas list and will order a holder separately (or with a Proclip if I don't get one) in the New Year.

Bishop 2009-11-30 14:17

great....already have a proclip (for my X1)...so will just keep monitoring their website.

asys3 2009-12-03 19:13

I ordered this one for only 10€:
http://www.pearl.de/a-PX8527-5480.shtml
and it is quite perfect.
It can be easily connected to my car and can be changed / drawn in every direction you want and then can be fixed.

I have the keyboard open (closed works as well) and an aux cable connected to the line out jack.

On the left side the power connector is not 100% free, so I have to cut a little bit from the holder.

But the experience is great.

Even phone calls come over my in car radio and I can talk free.

I also tried to do this by bluetooth and it works with clear sound, too.
This solution in combination with no power connection gives you a cable free solution until the battery runs out.

Music, navigation, phone calls - the perfect car entertainment system!

ZootHornRollo 2010-01-07 22:58

Anyone tried anything like these solar powered hands free units?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

I would be an occasional user so not worried it the battery only lasts less than 30 minutes of call time before needing charged again.

bockersjv 2010-01-09 08:53

Nice idea but hardly a car kit!

But back on topic.

This is the first N900 dedicated mount, but not an active one :(
eBay Link

I too am waiting for the brodit mount, although I hope it will be better than their N95 8GB mount which lasted all of 3 months !

Nothing on their website yet, did they mean next December I wonder:confused:

ZootHornRollo 2010-01-09 10:08

define car kit.

bockersjv 2010-01-09 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo (Post 460827)
define car kit.

Ah, many appologies Zoot , I read solar power kit, completely missed the car bit :confused: Way too early for me. Was expecting to see a mount or a link to one.

Any chance or a link or a name to the device, Even with zooming I could not catch the makers name on my N900 screen :D

Might be of interest as the hands free kit I have fits in the sunvisor but the battery is always going dead and running a lead is a pain.

Cheers
John