maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Announce] CSSU Features Configuration application (Maemo 5) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70427)

Saturn 2011-02-28 00:32

[Announce] CSSU Features Configuration application (Maemo 5)

5 Attachment(s)

NOTE (21/03/2011): For the latest description please consult the wiki page dedicated to this application.

The following is here only for historical reasons and will not get more updates:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First: Thanks for all the hard work to bring all these new features in the N900 through the Community SSU.

My small contribution is a simple PyQt app that allows you to change the options shown in the wiki page.

The project is now also in garage

The application is operational but for sure not complete. For the time being it provides the bare minimum. I have a todo list for improvements but
Feel free to make requests or report issues here.

Usage info:
The operation of the application is simple:
  1. Choose the options you would like to have (for info on the options look in the wiki link given above)
  2. Press the "Update" button.

Other options:
  • The "Current" button sets the current options the system is using in the options (which are shown also in the startup of the application)
  • The "Default" button sets the values in UI equal to those shipped with the Community SSU.

If for some reason you have messed up and you want to restore the default transitions.ini file:
  1. Open the menu.
  2. Choose the "Restore Defaults" option. (Note: This will restore to the shipped version of the transitions.ini and will not have any effect on the similar file in /etc/hildon/theme/ that might be used by theming.)

Note some of the options get immediately active as soon as you press the "Update" button. Others need the hildon-desktop to be restarted and for those a menu option is available "Restart hildon-destop".

ISSUES/TODO:
  • this app only edits transitions.ini located under /usr/share/hildon-desktop/. Thus, will fail if you have more transitions.ini files (e.g. using the theme-customizer). fixed in version 0.3-1
  • Current button is not yet implemented. fixed in version 1.0-1
  • The application when it opens shows the default options - in a future update will show the system's current options. fixed in version 1.0-1
  • BLOCKER: In the "parallax" field the values need to be float, i.e. "2.0" and not "2", otherwise the GUI fails to open. fixed in version 1.1-1
  • MINOR: if "tactile" package is installed and disable option if it's not. fixed in version 1.2-1
  • MINOR: The application should reside in the Settings under Personalisation. At the moment it is in the applications.

Versions:

1.5-1 (extras-devel)

Changes:
  • Added code in the postinstall to compile the python code.
  • Removed the menu button for restaring hildon-desktop (crashes other Qt apps).
  • Added menu button for rebooting the device.
  • Added note for option that requires reboot.
  • Several UI modifications for usability.
  • Modified icon.

1.3-1 (extras-devel, extras-testing)
If you find it fulfils the QA criteria vote here
  • Fix for the application freeze when restarting hildon-desktop.

1.2-1 (extras-devel, extras-testing)
  • Added a menu button for restarting hildon-desktop (e.g. needed for blurless update).
  • Added check if the Community SSU is installed.
  • Added check if the transitions.ini file used has all new features available.
  • Added check if the tactile package is installed and enable/disable accordingly the selection.

1.1-1 (extras-devel, extras-testing)
  • Corrections in the postinstall script.
  • Fix in configuration readout for case where string could be read as integer.
  • Modified the way the app starts, it's name in the window and application menu.

1.0-1 (extras-devel, extras-testing)
  • Implemented the CURRENT button. Additionally when app opens shows the current values.
  • Added rotation support in the About panel (does not need forced rotation).
  • Added better banner messages for actions taken.
  • Several GUI beautifications.

0.4-1 (extras-devel)
  • Removed desktop file from the hildon-control-panel. It doesn't work yet.
  • Added messages for which configuration file will be used.
0.3-1 (extras-devel)
  • Implemented the DEFAULT button to revert all values in the GUI back to system's defaults.
  • If an update is requested, the system checks if a transitions.ini file exists in /etc/hildon/theme/ (used by theming) and updates that too.
  • Update in the sudoers file to accept the new command for the additional update.
0.2-1 (extras-devel)
  • Some small beautifications in the GUI.
0.1-1 (extras-devel)
  • Initial version.

HtheB 2011-02-28 01:02

Re: [WIP] CSSU Features Configuration

This should be added in the next CSSU version! :D
thnx!

vkv.raju 2011-02-28 01:13

Trust me when I say I was just hoping for the same exact app when I was going through the Community SSU announcement thread in the last couple of days.

But, didn't want it to be in PyQt. Just Qt was what I was hoping for! Anyways, never mind! Thanks for working on this!

Btw, please talk to Community_SSU group also. They might have/provide more info too.

keflex 2011-02-28 01:27

I can see this making a lot of people very happy, good stuff.

Shinigamijim 2011-02-28 01:29

you are right im so happy right now

maemo55 2011-02-28 04:48

Thanks!!!!

F2thaK 2011-02-28 05:14

nice work...

edit: needs to go into settings control panel

Saturn 2011-02-28 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2thak (Post 957027)
nice work...

edit: needs to go into settings control panel

Yes, my intention was/is to place it in the control panel but it didn't work on first go (and I had to go to sleep..). Will try again but if anyone has an idea how to achieve that please let me know.

I've tried the following (which didn't work):

Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=CSSU Features Editor
Comment=Editor to help in configuring the CSSU enabled features
Type=HildonControlPanelPlugin
Icon=maemoorg
X-control-panel-plugin=/opt/CSSUfeatures/CSSUfeatures.py
Categories=personalisation

d-iivil 2011-02-28 08:18

Does this only edit transitions.ini located under /usr/share/hildon-desktop/ or will it also search for /etc/hildon/theme ?

fw190 2011-02-28 08:36

After installation all settings menu items do not respond. I had to uninstall it ot be able to change anything in the settings. I've got theme customizer installes. Uninstall fixed the problem.