maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CSSUThumb2 or U-Boot? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89691)

zlatokosi 2013-04-03 10:44

CSSUThumb2 or U-Boot?

First I'd like to thank all the developers who have worked on Thumb2 and U-Boot (esp. freemangordon and pali), the N900 wouldn't be the same without their hard work and dedication. This is in no way meant as a criticism of them. /disclaimer

Please help, I can't decide.

Due to reasons beyond my control, I have given up on the idea of having both CSSUThumb2 and U-Boot installed. I've tried everything and I can't get them to work together. I simply don't have time to deal with reflashing anymore, even if only the kernel. This combination, in unison with the repo problems/migration have given me nightmares the past couple of months. So it's time to (temporarily) say goodbye to that idea.

Which stays and which goes?

Will kp51+U-Boot do the job smoothly enough, or should I just keep Thumb2 and forget about Arch, Nemo, etc...?

Thanks for your replies.

elros34 2013-04-03 11:41

Re: CSSUThumb2 or U-Boot?

As freemangordon said "needed errata workaround is included in kernel-power v51r1 (and above)" so you can use it with CSSU Thumb and u-boot.

zlatokosi 2013-04-03 12:16

Thanks, but I knew that. My problem isn't with kp51, it's that CSSU Thumb and U-Boot don't really like each other, at least on my N900.

elros34 2013-04-03 12:20

So describe what is happening when you install u-boot or cssu.

n900_ 2013-04-03 12:40

install u-boot next kp51 next cssu thumb.

freemangordon 2013-04-03 12:57

u-boot and cssu-thumb are supposed to live happily together, please describe what your problem is.

just a hint - you need either kernel-power-flasher or kernel-cssu-flasher installed to have the correct dependencies for cssu-thumb. that means, that after installing u-boot, you SHOULD NOT uninstall -flasher packages. If you have kernel-power, then you need kernel-power-bootimg, if you have kernel-cssu, then you need kernel-cssu-bootimg respectively.

zlatokosi 2013-04-03 15:01

Thanks to all who responded.

So typical of this community... I try to give up, but nooooo, now I have to try again :-) , and you've convinced me, I'll try again tonight.

In short, I tried everything (and read the threads, so I think I'm up to date). U-Boot without CSSU Thumb works, but if I have CSSU Thumb installed it doesn't, and I need to flash the kernel as otherwise it goes into a reboot loop. Granted, I've never tried installing U-Boot first, as the first thing I do after reflash is to set up CSSU. I also played around quite a bit with Backupmenu, so that might be a culprit as well (I did always remove it prior to U-boot install, but still...).

So consider this thread closed, I'll probably be asking for help in the U-Boot and CSSU Thumb threads respectively, that is the right place to do so. And again, thanks for the morale boost.

badcloud 2017-04-11 07:01

Probably a little late, but has anyone found a sure-fire way for cssu and uboot to coexist? I'd love to run dual boot cssu and arch :D