maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Can't view emails as HTML using Mail For Exchange?! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80896)

godofwar424 2011-12-15 21:59

Can't view emails as HTML using Mail For Exchange?!

Is there a reason the N9 client is so god damn basic! I know the whole simple is nice stuff, which works for the simplicity of the Swipe UI,

But this email client is rubbish, having to view emails in the browser because the email client in unable to correctly display images??

Come on this is like 2 or 3 year old software! Please someone shed light on why the N9 cant display an email properly :(

EDIT: Have found out that this lack of features only occurs when using a Mail For Exchange account :(

abyzthomas 2011-12-15 22:15

Re: Email Client

I am not sure what he is talking about.

I would say there is always room for improvement, but N9 email displays HTML email pretty damn good.

I get many emails well formatted with images and links and all kinds of stuff and always look very sharp.

I am not sure about the intention of this guy. :confused:

original_z 2011-12-15 22:26

If the emails are not too personal, could both of you show what you are talking about? If it turns out you're looking at the same thing (more or less) but have very different opinions then it would be a 'feature' rather than a problem =p

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1138027)
I am not sure what he is talking about.

I would say there is always room for improvement, but N9 email displays HTML email pretty damn good.

I get many emails well formatted with images and links and all kinds of stuff and always look very sharp.

I am not sure about the intention of this guy. :confused:

No bad intentions, just curious :P

Lemme get a screenshot and post it to explain :)

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:31

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what the emails should look like :)

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:32

2 Attachment(s)
But this is what I get on my N9 :(

ribbons 2011-12-15 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 (Post 1138034)
But this is what I get on my N9 :(

Hi. Go to Settings->Applications->Mail->Show HTML messages as and select the HTML option so it is highlighted in blue. That should solve your problem.

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 1138036)
Hi. Go to Settings->Applications->Mail->Show HTML messages as and select the HTML option so it is highlighted in blue. That should solve your problem.

I have already done this :(

It seems that if I add a Gmail account i can view the HTML emails, but not through Mail For Exchange :/ Thats flipping useless..

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:49

Well seems I have to setup my non business email accounts without using mail for exchange as that doesnt allow HTML viewing on the N9's email client :(

I shall change my rant to why didnt they allow full HTML browsing when using Mail For Exchange?!

damnshock 2011-12-15 22:50

I guess you forgot to remove your name from those images :S

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by damnshock (Post 1138044)
I guess you forgot to remove your name from those images :S

Dont really care tbh :P Theres LOADS of people with my name and surname :P Not like theres any important info in them emails :P

Only reason the first one is blacked out on my name is because I was showing my friend the black pen thing in Snipping Tool for Windows :P

godofwar424 2011-12-15 22:57

Re: Can't view emails as HTML using Mail For Exchange?!

Seems I have to stick to Mail for Exchange.. Otherwise I cannot view my folders on my hotmail accounts..

Can anybody clarify why the hell the Mail For Exchange cant download flipping images for html emails?!

jalyst 2011-12-16 16:00

You should be asking this in the dedicated thread for email issues/discussion.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=40
There's even a Nokia dev there that responds regularly to help-out (Sergey).

Search it 1st though, so he doesn't have to waste his time repeating what he may've already explained.
As he could be using that time to improve our Maemo6x experience instead.

godofwar424 2011-12-16 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1138358)
You should be asking this in the dedicated thread for email issues/discussion.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=40
There's even a Nokia dev there that responds regularly to help-out (Sergey).

Search it 1st though, so he doesn't have to waste his time repeating what he may've already explained.
As he could be using that time to improve our Maemo6x experience instead.

Posted a reply and sent a PM :)

jalyst 2011-12-16 17:27

Cool, good luck!

Trawled/searched it first I hope? Maybe don't bug him with a PM...
I've been following that thread almost constantly, & he always responds.
He sometimes might take up to 1wk, but he should respond eventually.

godofwar424 2011-12-16 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1138405)
Cool, good luck!

Trawled/searched it first I hope? Maybe don't bug him with a PM...
I've been following that thread almost constantly, & he always responds.
He sometimes might take up to 1wk, but he should respond eventually.

I only sent one PM, not gonna send anymore :)

And I searched the thread and found nobody else complaining of my issue, I hope he sheds light on whether this is going to be fixed as Mail For Exchange beats all other options in every aspect apart form the fact that it doesnt support HTML emails :(

abyzthomas 2011-12-16 23:36

2 Attachment(s)
My Gmail setup as MfE and this is how it looks on my N9

godofwar424 2011-12-16 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1138538)
My Gmail setup as MfE and this is how it looks on my N9

Please show me your MfE settings for that account, obvious hide ur email address but I cant figure out why mine come out as shown earlier in the thread :(

abyzthomas 2011-12-17 00:07

I don't think I have anything special.

Maybe delete your account and recreate it.

abyzthomas 2011-12-17 00:08

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I forgot to upload image.

Here it is!

godofwar424 2011-12-17 00:16

Looking further into this, it is clear that it is a versioning and implementation thing that hotmail uses.. Maemo had this exact problem with Hotmails ActiveSync as well, hopefully the N9 devs might update some of the versions on PR1.2 to fix this incompatability :(

godofwar424 2011-12-17 01:14

Switching to gmail, cba with microsoft and their nonsense..

abyzthomas 2011-12-17 15:55

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 (Post 1138559)
Switching to gmail, cba with microsoft and their nonsense..

Okay, I wanted to find out if it has something to do with the provider/type of email.

I have a personal account that is hosted on a cpanel server and on my N9, I used Other mail account to access the email using IMAP.

HTML email gets formatted correctly on that one as well.

I decided to configure z-push (http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/) to setup MfE for the IMAP account.

I successfully, I think, configured it and configured another account as MfE in my N9.

Interestingly, the MfE version of the same email on the same N9 looks a lot different from the straight IMAP mail. See the pics. Well formated image is from the IMAP.

So is it possible hotmail has a similar implementation for MfE? Anybody else using z-push to access IMAP accounts?

abyzthomas 2011-12-17 16:03

I could not find any other email that uses html. Who actually uses html in their email other than spammers anyway?

So ignore the contents of the email images in my previous post. It is a spam email! Don't ask/post/call me for 2.87% financing. :-)

godofwar424 2011-12-17 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1138761)
I could not find any other email that uses html. Who actually uses html in their email other than spammers anyway?

So ignore the contents of the email images in my previous post. It is a spam email! Don't ask/post/call me for 2.87% financing. :-)

Well alot of companies when you order a product for store pickup, send you a html formatted email with a barcode ect, its just a bit nicer then looking at blue hyperlinks to emails and plain text..

I am in the process of copying all my old mail from my hotmail to my gmail account, saves me from the html-less hassle :)

abyzthomas 2011-12-17 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 (Post 1138764)
Well alot of companies when you order a product for store pickup, send you a html formatted email with a barcode ect, its just a bit nicer then looking at blue hyperlinks to emails and plain text..

I am in the process of copying all my old mail from my hotmail to my gmail account, saves me from the html-less hassle :)

I do get lots of those in the personal account :- gmail account.

I really don't have any email with html except some spam in my work related account :- the imap account.
:)

From my research, it looks like current version on z-push strips out the html in email. z-push-2 is said to start supporting, which is in alpha.

jalyst 2011-12-18 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by godofwar424 (Post 1138548)
Looking further into this, it is clear that it is a versioning and implementation thing that hotmail uses.. Maemo had this exact problem with Hotmails ActiveSync as well, hopefully the N9 devs might update some of the versions on PR1.2 to fix this incompatability :(

Are you sure that's simply it?
Did you try delete the Hotmail acct & re-create it?
It'd still be interesting to see what Sergey has to say about all of this.
Apart from PM'ing him you posted in that thread right?

jalyst 2011-12-18 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1138758)
I successfully, I think, configured it and configured another account as MfE in my N9.
Interestingly, the MfE version of the same email on the same N9 looks a lot different from the straight IMAP mail. See the pics. Well formated image is from the IMAP.
So is it possible hotmail has a similar implementation for MfE? Anybody else using z-push to access IMAP accounts?

Interesting findings, thanks for sharing!
It'd be worthwhile presenting it to sergey & seeing what he has to say.

godofwar424 2011-12-18 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1139085)
Are you sure that's simply it?
Did you try delete the Hotmail acct & re-create it?
It'd still be interesting to see what Sergey has to say about all of this.
Apart from PM'ing him you posted in that thread right?

Yeah I posted it on the thread,

I have searched multiple online sources and found that I am not the only person experiencing hotmails lack of HTML support for their ActiveSync/MailForExchange service :(

Apparently you need a specific microsoft exchange version in order for html to be properly coded, but I cant wait around for microsoft to change this or for Nokia to sort out their email clients.

This doesnt just affect MeeGo or Maemo, it affects ALL nokia phones apart from the new Windows Phone line..

caa 2012-07-21 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyzthomas (Post 1138761)
Who actually uses html in their email other than spammers anyway?

I just checked my last 25 emails. All 25 of them were HTML emails (and not spam).

Also, the N9 email client itself generates and sends HTML emails.

Seems strange for the client to render emails differently from different sources.

Is it possible the N9 email client is only fetching the text part from the Exchange server?

Thanks.

thedead1440 2012-07-21 10:24

This issue has actually been resolved with the release of MeMailSettings app which allows fetching of full MIME hence no HTML problems...the last post here was in Dec. '11 before the app was released...

caa 2012-07-21 10:51

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1240728)
This issue has actually been resolved with the release of MeMailSettings app which allows fetching of full MIME hence no HTML problems...the last post here was in Dec. '11 before the app was released...

Thanks, however, I've just tried enabling that option and it doesn't seem to make a difference with an MFE account, and emails are still shown as the plain text versions (yes I am looking at the new HTML emails that arrive, not the older ones before the option was set).

I've attached the screenshots of what my settings look like, can you let me know if they are incorrect?

Thanks!

thedead1440 2012-07-21 10:55

you have done it right but i think it applies only for future emails not those already present...you could try deleting the account, adding it back and changing the setting in memailsettings as soon as you add the account...

on the other hand, if you go to edit settings in memailsettings instead of easy tweak could you check if the value is set to true for both "email_mime" and "email/email_mime"...

pipould 2012-07-26 21:13

Trying to do the same with no luck for the moment...

inajoba 2012-07-27 09:40

I had the same problem and couldn't view html mails properly. The easy tweak MIME setting didn't also work. I had to use the edit settings and change both MIME settings to true (remember to 'save settings' after changing each field) and then reboot my phone. After this HTML mails are shown correctly.

amigo 2012-08-05 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by inajoba (Post 1243687)
I had to use the edit settings and change both MIME settings to true ...

Please explain how to edit these settings. It's not in MeMailSettings or anywhere else that I could think of.

thedead1440 2012-08-05 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by amigo (Post 1247579)
Please explain how to edit these settings. It's not in MeMailSettings or anywhere else that I could think of.

It IS in MeMailSettings...

In Easy Tweak Mode enable Full MIME..then click back and go to Edit Settings... now choose your email account and find for these two fields: email_mime & email/email_mime...both must be set to TRUE...if its set to FALSE just change it to TRUE and click save settings from the context menu opened by clicking the bottom right button every time you change a field's value..

amigo 2012-08-06 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1247600)
.. ..then click back and go to Edit Settings... now choose your email account and find for these two fields: email_mime & email/email_mime...

When I go back to "Welcome to the MeMailSettings", I again have the previous 2 options, "Email Settings" and "Edit Folders". In Email Settings I still have only 2 switches, "Sync back all Emails" and "Fetch full messages's MIME".

Might the choice I get depend on the account that I am using?

thedead1440 2012-08-06 21:19

Oh you can only use this for Mail for Exchange accouts...

Everything else has HTML loaded as default and can be chosen from Settings, Applications, Mail ...

amigo 2012-08-06 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1248439)
Oh you can only use this for Mail for Exchange accouts...

Everything else has HTML loaded as default and can be chosen from Settings, Applications, Mail ...

It is a MfE account. But in the meantime I discovered, that according to the providers (freenetMail) FAQ, mails will NOT be synced as html, but as plain text only.

So there seems to be no chance here.