maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Cracked N9 Screen - Spare Parts? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81730)

j d 2012-01-20 02:01

Cracked N9 Screen - Spare Parts?

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to somehow crack my n9’s screen (don’t really know how, was out a bar).

Nokia Care can fix it, but it will cost $250 (Australian). I think I could do it myself, does anybody know of a reliable site for buying OEM spare parts for the N9?

DarkSkies 2012-01-20 02:25

Re: Cracked N9 Screen - Spare Parts?

Some time ago I found N9 service manual. This is well written guide on how to open N9 and replace key parts. I am pretty sure some of you can use it:

Nokia N9 RM-696 Service manual Level 1 & 2 v5.0
http://www.mediafire.com/?2ads3m3m8nfd47j

j d 2012-01-20 05:11

Yep, it looks easy enough to do. I just need to find the genuine spare part.

Was hoping somebody might have an online store they can recommend

somedude 2012-01-20 05:21

i bought mine on ebay

F2thaK 2012-01-20 06:00

I think you should sell your N9 and buy a $20 phone...

zapotek 2012-01-20 06:08

http://www.klc.fi/fin/images/0089T99.gif

http://www.klc.fi/fin/tuotteet/Nokia...Y-ASSY-0089T99

law138 2012-01-20 18:37

How would I go about getting them to ship to USA ?

somedude 2012-01-20 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by law138 (Post 1153399)
How would I go about getting them to ship to USA ?

converting that to US$ is $192, palco in Alabama can fix it for you for 178 and thats including shipping charges, if you in USA and don't want to do it yourself its better to send it to palco, myself i bought a screen from eBay and fixed it myself costing me total of $125.99

law138 2012-01-20 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1153401)
converting that to US$ is $192, palco in Alabama can fix it for you for 178 and thats including shipping charges, if you in USA and don't want to do it yourself its better to send it to palco, myself i bought a screen from eBay and fixed it myself costing me total of $125.99

I want to order a USB cover. And sim card holder from them have you seen those parts on ebay ?

DarkSkies 2012-01-20 21:07

The screens seem quite expensive. Better take your N9 apart, sell the parts (the USB cover, the shell, the soft cover, the battery and so on) on ebay or in here in the buy/sell forum, add some 50 bucks or more to the total revenue and buy a new phone. You can surely get more money for parts this way plus help a few people in here with spare parts too.

I paid almost 450 euro for my N9. if I was to buy and replace a screen for another 150 EUR (33% of the original price) this is what I'd do.

somedude 2012-01-20 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by law138 (Post 1153408)
I want to order a USB cover. And sim card holder from them have you seen those parts on ebay ?

So far they are the only online retailer who carry those parts and they do not ship anywhere outside Finland, I took my usb cover out and broke it so I am just holding on until it is available in ebay/

tissot 2012-01-20 21:13

Just talked today a guy who sold his N9 that had cracked screen for 220 euros, bought used one for 300 euros (64GB).
Was quite amazed how much money he fetched from it.

DarkSkies 2012-01-20 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1153454)
Just talked today a guy who sold his N9 that had cracked screen for 220 euros, bought used one for 300 euros (64GB).
Was quite amazed how much money he fetched from it.

That's the point. Parts may be worth a lot, especially if some mobile phone technician buys it from you so he can maximize his profit. The shell itself, if not cracked, should be worth some 100 EUR at least and there are people right here in this forum who may be willing to buy it.

USB cover, 15 EUR, SIM card tray, 15 EUR. There you go, 130 EUR already for little things.

mariusmssj 2012-01-20 22:20

You have to pay for it to be fixed :S Doesn't your N9 come with a warranty?

DarkSkies 2012-01-21 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1153487)
You have to pay for it to be fixed :S Doesn't your N9 come with a warranty?

How is this Nokia's concern he dropped the phone? Even if the display was easily available he would have to cover labor costs anyway, so that's like 150 EUR for a new display + extra costs (prolly at least 50 EUR in Europe) ~ 200 EUR together ~ almost 50% of phone's price.

IMO there's no point in repairing at all. Just get a 2nd device. You can easily sell the parts from the damaged phone helping others in here, as said.

zapotek 2012-01-21 02:24

[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OEM-Full-Assembly-AMOLED-LCD-Display-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Nokia-N9-/250959192529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e55 61d1#ht_1862wt_1165"[/URL]

http://www.professorparts.com/imgdb/content/6813_1.jpg

mariusmssj 2012-01-21 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSkies (Post 1153536)
How is this Nokia's concern he dropped the phone? Even if the display was easily available he would have to cover labor costs anyway, so that's like 150 EUR for a new display + extra costs (prolly at least 50 EUR in Europe) ~ 200 EUR together ~ almost 50% of phone's price.

IMO there's no point in repairing at all. Just get a 2nd device. You can easily sell the parts from the damaged phone helping others in here, as said.

Oh I didn't mean the Nokia, I meant the retailer should give a warranty on the phone. I bought plenty of things and they broke never had to pay a thing for the repair, they just always replaced it for me.

lstrike21 2012-01-23 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1153452)
So far they are the only online retailer who carry those parts and they do not ship anywhere outside Finland, I took my usb cover out and broke it so I am just holding on until it is available in ebay/

Actually I was able to source both the USB door and SIM card tray. I actually replaced my housing from black to cyan. Housing is easy enough to find but the other parts were not listed. I asked the dude that sold me the case and he was more then happy to source both pieces!

Seller was from Hong Kong shipped to US (free shipping to boot - but maybe that was because I also bout the housing). Just got the parts today and they are perfect! He sold me both pieces for a pretty reasonable 12 bucks (considering another seller wanted 20). Ebay user name was: komazys.

Wanted to post earlier but wanted to make sure the products were good first. Both the customer service and gear were excellent.

Paper Waves 2012-01-24 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstrike21 (Post 1154686)
Actually I was able to source both the USB door and SIM card tray. I actually replaced my housing from black to cyan. Housing is easy enough to find but the other parts were not listed. I asked the dude that sold me the case and he was more then happy to source both pieces!

Is replacing the housing something difficult? I'm still in doubt if the 16gb N9 will provide me enough storage, but I quite like the cyan colour..

law138 2012-01-24 10:00

Quote:

Seller was from Hong Kong shipped to US (free shipping to boot - but maybe that was because I also bout the housing). Just got the parts today and they are perfect! He sold me both pieces for a pretty reasonable 12 bucks (considering another seller wanted 20). Ebay user name was: komazys.

Wanted to post earlier but wanted to make sure the products were good first. Both the customer service and gear were excellent.

I can't find that user on ebay can you put up a link to his ebay profile ?

lstrike21 2012-01-24 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper Waves (Post 1154803)
Is replacing the housing something difficult? I'm still in doubt if the 16gb N9 will provide me enough storage, but I quite like the cyan colour..

Getting the screen off (the first time anyways after that it is simple) was for me at least the trickiest part. The rest was cake. The housings on eBay have the led flash, the bottom speaker and of course the headphone jack built in so you don't have to remove those.

Honestly if you are comfortable with taking apart small electronics and have the right tools it's not bad at all. Just make sure you have a good set of tools so you don't strip any of the screws!!!!

Paper Waves 2012-01-24 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstrike21 (Post 1154880)
Honestly if you are comfortable with taking apart small electronics and have the right tools it's not bad at all. Just make sure you have a good set of tools so you don't strip any of the screws!!!!

Hmmz, not really actually... I'll look around if I know someone who is comfortable with this. Than maybe I would consider. Otherwise it will be the 16gb version anyway. :)

vitaminj 2012-01-24 14:11

Quote:

I actually replaced my housing from black to cyan.

So you've made yourself a 64gb cyan? Everything fit back together OK (i.e. casings are all the same)?
I wanted to try that myself - was wondering whether to faff sourcing components or just buy a 16gb cyan and then sell the resulting 16gb black.

lstrike21 2012-01-24 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1154953)
So you've made yourself a 64gb cyan? Everything fit back together OK (i.e. casings are all the same)?
I wanted to try that myself - was wondering whether to faff sourcing components or just buy a 16gb cyan and then sell the resulting 16gb black.

Yeah absolutely perfect!!! I am pretty OCD when it comes to this kind of stuff and I am SUPER happy with how it came out.

EDIT - just took a few pics lets see if I can upload them...

lstrike21 2012-01-24 19:21

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are some pics I took of the screen.

Not sure they do the color any justice really...The Cyan is beautiful it is really eye catching the blue really pops. Don't know if it is the camera (HTC device I use for work) or the displays I am looking at but I am sure if nothing else you can get a feel for how nice the housing looks and fits.

lstrike21 2012-01-24 19:25

1 Attachment(s)
One more of the top...USB Door and Sim Tray were also swapped of course and purchased off eBay. The headphone jack is silver of course just looks black from the shadow of the camera reflecting...sheesh of all the days to not have my n8 on me for the pics! :(

j d 2012-02-09 06:52

So, I got my replacement screen from here:

http://www.mytrendyphone.com/shop/no...-168399c1.html

They ship internationally, really quickly. I recommend them :)

jangs 2012-02-24 01:52

My n9 screen was broken yesterday, surprisingly it's a first case here in Thailand :eek: so I can't find any information how should I do then I googled and stumbled here.

I've just got a little question that where can I get a spare part because the link that j d bought it said 'out of stock' but i found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-N9-A...#ht_500wt_1180

and I saw that somedude also bought it from ebay, how is the quality after you replaced the screen. Much appreciate if you can give some piece of advice.

jangs 2012-02-24 02:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1153117)
i bought mine on ebay

How is the quality of the screen? I want to buy it from ebay too.

aRTee 2012-02-24 09:35

If you're looking for regular spare parts, I just noticed that the black 16GB N9 goes for under 400CHF new online here in Switzerland... that's about 320Euros I guess...

For display, cheapest I see on ebay is this one:
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Nokia-N9-AMOL...item3cbf8a1fb7

jangs 2012-02-24 11:54

That is the link, I'm interested in but now I'm waiting for Nokia care here in Thailand to answer my question. Nokia care here is super slow :confused: so if they do not answer my question by tomorrow (BKK timeX then I will order it from ebay and ask my cousin's friend to fix it for me.

noipv4 2012-03-14 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1153401)

I cracked the screen on my 2day old N9 :( . My N900 has seen far worse drops. Since you replaced your screen yourself, and bought the replacement off ebay, can you kindly inform how was the quality of the replacement screen. Are there any dead pixels, or other deformities in the glass or any other issues that you saw? I read an article on nokia support that the screens from ebay do not have the conductive backplate that the original replacement screens have. Thanks in advance

specc 2012-03-14 04:37

Mytrendyphone is OK. I bought a few parts from them in the past.

smart 2012-03-14 10:56

Hello,
broke even on my display for 3 days in Italy, but not the gorilla glass layer in LCD. now my n9 was delivered in a nokia center waiting for a quote ... the phone is broken and falling on the floor horizontally despite the protective case. but he fell flat on the table without dropping and I think this is the cause of the rupture. I can not wait for the repair and I bought a new one at 400 € ... so that in a few days ... I hope I'll have 2. once repaired will communicate the cost of repair here in Italy.
Greetings.

noipv4 2012-03-14 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by smart (Post 1179266)
Hello,
broke even on my display for 3 days in Italy, but not the gorilla glass layer in LCD. now my n9 was delivered in a nokia center waiting for a quote ... the phone is broken and falling on the floor horizontally despite the protective case. but he fell flat on the table without dropping and I think this is the cause of the rupture. I can not wait for the repair and I bought a new one at 400 € ... so that in a few days ... I hope I'll have 2. once repaired will communicate the cost of repair here in Italy.
Greetings.

Sorry to hear that your N9 screen cracked. But this phone is like meth addiction ! Glad to hear you will have 2x N9 ;) Let us know how the repair experience goes.

noipv4 2012-03-14 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by specc (Post 1179182)
Mytrendyphone is OK. I bought a few parts from them in the past.

Thanks for the link. The screen is a bit expensive :( around USD 200

somedude 2012-03-15 03:59

quality is not that great, it gets scratched very easily and i see the bleeding black lines on white backgrounds (same as the thread here about display issues), if you want buy from seller named freetrade21 (maybe that's the name) they told me they are stripping the brand new n9s and selling them as parts. so it really is an OEM from them.

noipv4 2012-03-15 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1179656)
quality is not that great, it gets scratched very easily and i see the bleeding black lines on white backgrounds (same as the thread here about display issues), if you want buy from seller named freetrade21 (maybe that's the name) they told me they are stripping the brand new n9s and selling them as parts. so it really is an OEM from them.

Thanks so much for the tip.

smart 2012-03-16 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by noipv4 (Post 1179596)
Sorry to hear that your N9 screen cracked. But this phone is like meth addiction ! Glad to hear you will have 2x N9 ;) Let us know how the repair experience goes.

regards,
it's little brother again, bought at 400 €. (n916gb blak) Monday morning in germany delivered in Italy in the late afternoon yesterday thursday, made ​​in finland, I made ​​an update is available but not the pr 1.2 ... which, however, was possible on the n9 wait for repair .... patience ... I do not know how to find the product code ... I also received the repair estimate from nokia center of my city: 150 € ... have repaired next week, vendors say that there is not much available of spare parts.
I will keep you updated on the pace and quality of repair.
Ciao.

smart 2012-03-22 17:13

hello,
big brother is back repaired a few minutes, about 10 days to the office for a repair cost of 150 € .... all things considered (model, original spare parts availability, that is not officially for sale in Italy) it seems a good price and an acceptable time.
To keep for a few days my 2 n9, however, prefer to use my first purchase, it is already updated to pr1.2 while the second purchase is a cv switzerland still standing at PR1.1. Maybe in a few days I'll sell it, I have yet to decide whether to keep or give away as a spare car to my family ... to make sure I always have one ready ... hahaha ... I really think that the swipe is almost a drug with many other functions ... in fact I want to use swipe on all phones (not n9) of my friends ... (s2-iphone-htc. .. etc etc. ..) but you can not ... hahaha ...
greetings and congratulations to all the good forum for daily updates.
Hello.