maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I can barely click on the status bar on my n900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84052)

jpaulwhite 2012-05-03 17:51

I can barely click on the status bar on my n900

All,
I can't click on the status bar on my phone reliably. I have to click on it 5 or 6 times and try to click at the very top part in order for it to register a click.

But I can click anywhere else on my screen fine. It is as if the status bar is not picking up on my presses. I found a similar thread below. I guess my first thing is to start uninstalling the last few apps I have installed.

I also have checked and there are no updates available for my n900 right now either.

Any other suggestions?

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 15:38 +0200, ext Aapo Rantalainen wrote:

> > Actually it's "Status Area" and the opening menu is "Status
> > Menu" (Coming from the UI specifications...)
>
> Great, thanks. With these information I found it:
> http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...ification.html
> pfd. page 13
>
> Next question:
> How it is possible that 'Status Area' is not accessible, but 'Task button' is?
> As I said my case is Mumble and it is using QT.
> It is using (at least):
> QSystemTrayIcon
> setWindowIcon
> setWindowFlags(WindowStaysOnTopHint)
> (Actually these are what I have disabled already, without success)
... [show rest of quote]

Status Area is a separate X window shown by hildon-status-menu (HSM)
process. HSM loads (also 3rd-party) plugins (for the status icons and
menu items) and any of these plugins could jam it. Perhaps the first
thing is to check if HSM gets the Button events and whether it's just
jammed and thus unable to show the Status Menu.

-Kimmo

>
> -Aapo Rantalainen

MINKIN2 2012-05-03 18:05

Re: I can barely click on the status bar on my n900

Out of curiosity, do you have portrait model enabled? I'm not suggesting that this is at fault, but if you can access the status bar when in portrait mode but not in landscape then I would guess you may have a dead spot on the screen.

immi.shk 2012-05-03 18:37

take any drawing app go fullscreen try to draw in that region if you can draw everywhere else but not in that region then @MINKIN2 is correct

Estel 2012-05-03 18:39

If You have screen protector, try replacing it with fresh one. It may sound stupid, but was case of problems for many people.

Also, maybe You got habit of keeping N900 in pocket/whatever close to other objects, that could push - even not so much - some parts of screen? Very poor reliability on edges (much less than normal) may be effect of it. In such case, You need to do a "massage" to your digitizer - gently push it in many areas, + avoid further damage.

Easy way to check it is to use drawing program (default one, or, for example, mypaint) in fullscreen - check if painting is registered properly. you will determine if it's hardware or software issue.

/Estel

jpaulwhite 2012-05-03 23:00

Ok,
I did the screen calibration again (I did this before but it reverted back to this. Don't know exactly when but if it does it this time I'll pay attn) and for now it's working. Definitely software related. I haven't installed any recent apps and really don't have a lot of apps at all installed. I did an update and none of them needed updating

FMMS
eCOACH
FM Radio
Mobile Hotspot
n900ftp
Nokia Kernal (Installed with Mobile HotSpot)
pyRadio (Just tried and it;s not working. Ill have to check on that next)
rDesktop (Love this app)
Stopish (Last app I installed, never use it)
Password Safe

Estel 2012-05-04 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpaulwhite (Post 1201594)
Definitely software related.

Not necessary - if Your sensor area is screwed hardware'ishly, it's possible that You just calibrated it to take screws into account ;)

It's pity that You haven't tried painting test, as proposed - it would tell whole story (especially, MyPaint one, as it detects pressure too - would clearly show any anomalies during "painting").

/Estel

jpaulwhite 2012-05-04 14:29

How do you set full screen using the default sketch app? I tried and couldn't figure it out

Estel 2012-05-04 22:27

Using xbindkeys (to be precise, Easy Debian version, but Maemo one should work too) and shortcut for fullscreen. If You don't use it nor Easy Debian, You're probably better with just installing MyPaint and using fullscreen from options menu.

Unless You want to check, how deep rabbit hole goes... ;)

andraeseus1 2012-07-31 05:23

I had a similar issue with my brand spanking new nokia n900. i just bought it from hong kong. I couldnt figure out for the life of me what was the problem. Even had it replaced by the same vendor for this issue. After swapping out the lcd and then the digitizer it finally dawned on me there was only one culprit left. The sliding mechanism which has a ribbon cable ot connect ot the logic board had to be the issue. after replacing it all worked just fine (the entire slide mechanism) symptoms included screen calibration intermittently being off, Not being able to touch the status menue intermittently, screen intermittently being simply 100 % unresponsive, screen imputs registering a cm below or above where I actually touched on the screen. hope this helps someone. pls msg if you have any questions.