maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [WIP] App / Tweak: patchmanager a system-wide patching system + homescreen tweak (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92935)

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-03-26 11:36

[WIP] App / Tweak: patchmanager a system-wide patching system + homescreen tweak

Patchmanager
patchmanager is the continuation of my work on system tweaks on SailfishOS. It allows managing patches in the whole system. Patching system files can allow UI tweaks, and a lot of other features. Only the imagination of developers is limiting here.

With the new update, Pandora enabled lipstick is no longer needed.

Don't install lipstick-pandora if you are running 1.0.7.16 or later version.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkYUFAFIAAA96vW.jpg

Warning: system file patches can break your system, or worse, malicious patches can cause privacy / security issues

Use with care, apply patches at your own risk.

Warning: patching homescreen QML files can brick or damage your device. Use with care.

Recovery is helpful to recover from bricking. There should always be a backup of lipstick code inside /opt/patchmanager/backups. Use the following code to recover broken lipstick files
Code:

cd /opt/patchmanager/backups/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
cp -rf * /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/

Some patches

Video thanks to @fravaccaro

http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram...c9e093e6_8.jpg

Gallery video patch

I have developed a small patch that provides a better UI for the video player in gallery. See this blog post for more information. (Note that the package in this blog post is not using patchmanager)

Unlimited multitasking

Want to have more than 9 multitasking windows ? Well, you can ! Applying unlimited-multitask patch from sailfishos-patches-advanced package, you will enjoy several pages of multitask windows.

This patch is still being developed, and there are known issues. However, it can be used right now. Don't forget to restart lipstick after applying the patch (there is an option in patchmanager).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkKRJv8IEAAbXPO.jpg

Control center

Replacing the right ambience switcher panel, you can find the control center. It will (at some point), be extensible with widgets, but right now, you can find the switches from jolla-settings app.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkSBxfuIcAA4eRi.jpg

Vibrate when call established

A feature I wanted long time ago is to have a vibration when a phone call is established. A patch is now included in sailfishos-patches-base to perform this.

Get it

I will use OBS to build my packages, and use OpenRepos to distribute them. You can try OBS packages if you want, but I recommand OpenRepos. (Except for pandora enabled lipstick)

If you like my work, please also consider a donation :)

recommended builds

Not recommended ones
  • patchmanager 0.4.5: OBS
  • base patches 0.5.1: OBS
  • advanced patches 0.3.4: OBS

Installation process
  1. Install patchmanager from openrepos
  2. Install patch collections from OpenRepos (base, advanced).
  3. Apply patches, like unlimited-multitask
  4. Relaunch services using the pulley menu. This applies patches

Note that before uninstallation, please unapply all patches.

Troubleshooting

If you brick your device in pandora mode, follow these steps.
  1. Reboot in recovery, and chroot in SailfishOS
  2. Copy the backup files (see below)
  3. Reboot

Code:

cd /opt/patchmanager/backups/usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/
cp -rf * /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5/qml/

Current issues

patchmanager
  • Cannot fix patches
  • Cannot cleanup patches

Patches
  • Unlimited multitask: you can enter housekeeping mode only from the first page
  • Control center: volume slider do not appear.
  • Do not unapply patches when uninstalling
  • Date on lockscreen seems to be broken, and breaks other patches
  • Events view have a swipe feedback while it shouldn't
  • Sort of feature: Vibration occurs from all successful calls connections, even from an incoming call

Patchmanager for developers

Patchmanager is hosted in the sailfishos-patches group on Github. Feel free to contribute, and bring more patches. All projects should have a decent README. If they don't, ask me here, on Twitter, or on IRC.

nodevel 2014-03-26 12:54

Re: [WIP] App / Tweak: Introducing patchmanager, a system-wide patching system

Thank you, great idea!

Maybe you already did, but in case you did not, I would suggest looking into how webOS community did this:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ion_Technology

There are years of work behind their patch framework and given that webOS is pretty much all about patches, I'd call this infrastructure a state-of-art.

EDIT: Here is the code: https://github.com/webos-internals/ausmt

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-03-26 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodevel (Post 1418559)
Thank you, great idea!

Maybe you already did, but in case you did not, I would suggest looking into how webOS community did this:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ion_Technology

There are years of work behind their patch framework and given that webOS is pretty much all about patches, I'd call this infrastructure a state-of-art.

EDIT: Here is the code: https://github.com/webos-internals/ausmt

I didn't look about this, and this seems interesting. I need to take a look at it.

MSameer 2014-03-26 16:31

I had the same idea but mine was about patching the QML files embedded inside the binaries before they are handed over to the Qt declarative engine for parsing. I however never got to implementing it.

patching in memory might be a bit slower but it makes it possible to modify embedded QML files easily.

- applets in lipstick.
- you name it...

Mikkosssss 2014-03-26 17:25

So if you do UI tweaks check my most wanted tweaks. :)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92920

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-03-26 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1418589)
I had the same idea but mine was about patching the QML files embedded inside the binaries before they are handed over to the Qt declarative engine for parsing. I however never got to implementing it.

patching in memory might be a bit slower but it makes it possible to modify embedded QML files easily.

- applets in lipstick.
- you name it...

I explored this before. However, QML files embedded in binaries are sometimes optimized so that they are not in plain text anymore. (use a qrc to compile several QML files in release mode and use strings)

EDIT: or do you want to do that in runtime ?

MSameer 2014-03-26 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfiet_Konstantin (Post 1418629)
I explored this before. However, QML files embedded in binaries are sometimes optimized so that they are not in plain text anymore. (use a qrc to compile several QML files in release mode and use strings)

EDIT: or do you want to do that in runtime ?

They are compressed AFAICT but not optimized but it's trivial to decompress them.

If we have an LD_PRELOAD that can get access to the actual QML data (I don't yet know how) then we can capture the data, modify it and return the modified data to the QML "compiler". It's not resource intensive. I have done something similar in a Qt4 app of mine (replace certain strings during runtime in the embedded QML files). Don't ask me why I did that ;)

EDIT: One advantage for patching during runtime is we can tie the patches to a certain OS release easily.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-03-31 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1418630)
They are compressed AFAICT but not optimized but it's trivial to decompress them.

If we have an LD_PRELOAD that can get access to the actual QML data (I don't yet know how) then we can capture the data, modify it and return the modified data to the QML "compiler". It's not resource intensive. I have done something similar in a Qt4 app of mine (replace certain strings during runtime in the embedded QML files). Don't ask me why I did that ;)

EDIT: One advantage for patching during runtime is we can tie the patches to a certain OS release easily.

I have looked about the possibility to LD_PRELOAD on lipstick. And sadly, this only happens if you manually launch lipstick as privileged. lipstick have a setgid that prevents LD_PRELOAD when started by systemd.

This means that we are seriously limited in this side. Another way to do is to patch and override some system packages, like lipstick-qt5.

Penguin 2014-03-31 18:12

How about disabling lipstick.service and providing own customized lipstick service that makes systemd to start a wrapper which sets LD_PRELOAD and starts lipstick as privileged?

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-01 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 1419337)
How about disabling lipstick.service and providing own customized lipstick service that makes systemd to start a wrapper which sets LD_PRELOAD and starts lipstick as privileged?

Tried this. Wasn't working that well. I found another solution that is even easier and more interesting, it is to patch lipstick-qt5. And this works much much better. Stay tuned ;)

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-02 10:15

Re: [WIP] App / Tweak: patchmanager and lipstick-pandora, a system-wide patching system + homescreen tweak

Right, patchmanager updated, and lipstick-pandora released. I will try to provide more patches as soon as possible.

WARNING: USE WITH CARE, CAN BRICK OR DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-02 11:59

Re: [WIP] App / Tweak: patchmanager and lipstick-pandora, a system-wide patching system + homescreen tweak

Added the first lipstick-pandora patch. Check first post. (Use with care)

tiempjuuh 2014-04-03 05:33

Great! I'm gonna try it. So, to remove the patched lipstick you just have to remove lipstick-qt5?

EDIT:Works like a charm. You just did what I wanted since I got the phone! :)

Really good job. KUTGW! ;)

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-03 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiempjuuh (Post 1419688)
Great! I'm gonna try it. So, to remove the patched lipstick you just have to remove lipstick-qt5?

No, it's not that. Please reread the first post. If you uninstall lipstick-qt5, you break your phone.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-03 08:04

Sorry for abusing double / triple posts
Just to inform that control center pandora patch is available. Check first post :)

Morpog 2014-04-03 08:28

Awesome idea!

Is there a chance to have ambiences left and settings right?
Or maybe even better, show the ambiences below the settings panel?

I have a feeling that I will need to tinker with it this weekend :D

youmeego 2014-04-03 10:37

These ideas should be included in the next Jolla update, unlimited multitasking and control center

Kabouik 2014-04-03 11:28

Absolutely awesome.

These features, already available out of the box despite patchmanager being just released in its first version, are amongst the most anticipated since first Jolla units have reached customers. I did not even truly imagined that > 9 covers and Control center instead of Ambiance could actually become reality someday.

Thanks.

tiempjuuh 2014-04-03 19:45

Okay, with lipstick-pandora enabled the internet connection popup (connect to Internet on the Wlan page in settings) does not work anymore. There just happens nothing. As soon as I disable Pandora it starts to work again. Seems like a bug. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? Unfortunately this way it isn't usable for me yet. Hopefully this can be fixed, as the features of this patches are awesome. :)

Kabouik 2014-04-03 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfiet_Konstantin (Post 1418547)
  1. Install patchmanager
  2. Install lipstick-qt5 (it contains the pandora mode lipstick)
  3. Open patchmanager, and select in pulley menu "Manage lipstick-pandora"
  4. Click on the button "Dump QML". The homescreen restart.
  5. Go back to patchmanager, and then "Manage lipstick-pandora". Click on "Install lipstick pandora". The homescreen restarts.
  6. Install pandora-box. It contains homescreen tweaks
  7. Apply patches, like unlimited-multitask
  8. Reboot homescreen using the pulley menu. This applies patches

I followed the steps, but nothing changed after I installed pandora-box. The installation steps have run fine till 5 (or 6, not sure), the homescreen restarted each time it should have, and everything. But when I went back to Patchmanager for step 7, there were no new options available. When pulling down to manage lipstick-pandora, it stills offers me the possibility to install lipstick pandora. I taped it again just to be sure, the homsecreen restarted again, but still no options.

Any ideas?

mousse04 2014-04-04 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1419810)
I followed the steps, but nothing changed after I installed pandora-box. The installation steps have run fine till 5 (or 6, not sure), the homescreen restarted each time it should have, and everything. But when I went back to Patchmanager for step 7, there were no new options available. When pulling down to manage lipstick-pandora, it stills offers me the possibility to install lipstick pandora. I taped it again just to be sure, the homsecreen restarted again, but still no options.

Any ideas?

Did you try to restart your phone?

Kabouik 2014-04-04 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousse04 (Post 1419830)
Did you try to restart your phone?

Haha, thought about it but I was too lazy to try out, thought somebody would have commented the steps if it was necessary. Anyway, problem solved then. Laziness is a shame. :D

Does the Patchmanager allow patching the Notification screen (swipe up from bottom edge)? That would be awesome to add stuff in there, RSS feeds, tweets, or even more notifications like weather and so on. In short, N9's legacy.

[Edit] Well a problem persists though: all patches do appear in Patchmanager, but I can only apply the Gallery one. Control center and Unlimited multitask can't be enabled (the confirmation dot just blinks once). I tried restarting lipstick just in case it was just a GUI issue, one by one, all at once, and everything, but the patches won't apply. It seems from the thread that nobody else experienced that?

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-04 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabouik (Post 1419850)
Haha, thought about it but I was too lazy to try out, thought somebody would have commented the steps if it was necessary. Anyway, problem solved then. Laziness is a shame. :D

Yes, a known issue. I'm working on a much more robust patchmanager release that would fix this bug, and allows safer patching.

Quote:

[Edit] Well a problem persists though: all patches do appear in Patchmanager, but I can only apply the Gallery one. Control center and Unlimited multitask can't be enabled (the confirmation dot just blinks once). I tried restarting lipstick just in case it was just a GUI issue, one by one, all at once, and everything, but the patches won't apply. It seems from the thread that nobody else experienced that?

Did you have pandora mode enabled ? In a newer release, pandora patches will be disabled if pandora mode is not enabled.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-04 13:06

New release of patchmanager (0.3.0) brings
  • Better UI
  • Many bugs fixed (no need to reboot to apply patches etc.)
  • Better system for patching (more foolproof)
  • Ability to fix patches that were wrongly applied (3rd option in pulley menu)

New release of pandora-box (0.1.3) brings
  • Bugs fixed for unlimited multitask
  • Category (they won't be installable without pandora mode)

Careful before updating: remove all patches. New patchmanager requires a clean device.

mousse04 2014-04-04 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfiet_Konstantin (Post 1419886)
  • Better UI

Careful before updating: remove all patches. New patchmanager requires a clean device.

When you said removed, you spoke about disabling them via patchmanager right ?

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-04 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousse04 (Post 1419887)
When you said removed, you spoke about disabling them via patchmanager right ?

Yep, disable patches. It can even be better if you would disable pandora mode and reenable it afterwards.

fullauto 2014-04-04 15:02

Hi, I have some question here:

Can you tell me that what does lipstick-qt5-tools & ui use for :confused: ?
Do I need to Install those 2 packages with lipstick-qt5.:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfiet_Konstantin (Post 1419886)
  • Better UI

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-04 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullauto (Post 1419889)
Hi, I have some question here:

Can you tell me that what does lipstick-qt5-tools & ui use for :confused: ?
Do I need to Install those 2 packages with lipstick-qt5.:confused:

No: these packages are built in my OBS from the mainline lipstick-qt5 code. They should be exactly the same as those provided by Jolla, and are basically useless.

Boxeri 2014-04-04 17:45

This is great!

Have been waiting these kind of patches since the release now. Why do I seem to remember that n900 and n9 started to get this stuff "faster".

Great job!

jalyst 2014-04-04 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxeri (Post 1419910)
This is great!

Have been waiting these kind of patches since the release now. Why do I seem to remember that n900 and n9 started to get this stuff "faster".

Great job!

Hmm, N900 maybe, but I don't recall N9 getting this sort of thing (i.e. as powerful/flexible) as soon as this.

Boxeri 2014-04-05 15:53

Quote:

Does the Patchmanager allow patching the Notification screen (swipe up from bottom edge)? That would be awesome to add stuff in there, RSS feeds, tweets, or even more notifications like weather and so on. In short, N9's legacy.

I definetly second this. It would be awesome!

Also another idea. Know the lock screen animation that comes when you lock the screen by swiping down?

Could it be utilized in Android lockscreen way? It would of course be in reverse way I guess, but you get the idea? There could be shortcuts added there and one could just slide their finger from top till an Icon to open the app. Releasing finger anywhere else would lock the device.

Posted on TJC as well...

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ock-the-phone/

Boxeri 2014-04-05 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1419914)
Hmm, N900 maybe, but I don't recall N9 getting this sort of thing (i.e. as powerful/flexible) as soon as this.

Yea, might be that I am remembering it wrong.

Was thinking SwipeManager and then UnrestrictedSystem UI by MohammadAG and other tweaks by him. But quickly checking some topics showed that those also took their time...

Reffyyyy 2014-04-05 22:02

Have just created a pull request on the pandora-box project.

It allows us to see the text on the applications when re-ordering. I like to order mine mostly alphabetical, so having the text visible is a great help when I have no clue what the icon is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkemvLlIgAAfKZ-.jpg:large

J4ZZ 2014-04-07 11:58

Quote:

Had this too. Probably it's related to jolla-gallery-extensions (installed as separate package from sfiets's blog (which I did)...
See here -> http://sfietkonstantin.wordpress.com...video-pausing/

So, to get it working I first uninstalled jolla-gallery-extensions and then in PatchMangaer I had to toggle "Jolla Gallery extension" on and off with a "verify patch application" in between and a "restart lipstick" (PatchManager -> pulldown menu).
After a few tries "Control Center" and "Unlimited multitask" became finally clickable and are working fine since then.

Regards,

J4ZZ

dommau 2014-04-08 16:47

I found a bug: after being in an area without reception or flightmode, the mobile data switch greys out and isn't usable anymore. reapplying control center patch fixes it.

great work btw!

Kabouik 2014-04-08 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by J4ZZ (Post 1420245)
Had this too. Probably it's related to jolla-gallery-extensions (installed as separate package from sfiets's blog (which I did)...
See here -> http://sfietkonstantin.wordpress.com...video-pausing/

So, to get it working I first uninstalled jolla-gallery-extensions and then in PatchMangaer I had to toggle "Jolla Gallery extension" on and off with a "verify patch application" in between and a "restart lipstick" (PatchManager -> pulldown menu).
After a few tries "Control Center" and "Unlimited multitask" became finally clickable and are working fine since then.

Regards,

J4ZZ

Thanks. Yes I got it to work since my post too, it needed a reboot that was not mentioned in the FP, and then Sfiet updated Patchmanager so that no reboot was needed anymore. I should have stated it here when I got it to work, sorry, I forgot my previous post.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-09 11:51

PM is moving to AUSMT. Thanks nodevel for heads-up.

AUSMT should provide a much safer patching experience, but provides less features right now (as I didn't finished adapting the WebOS stuff to SailfishOS).

Missing stuff includes
  • Ability to check patches
  • Ability to uninstall all patches

What is gained now
  • Stability in patching
  • Less issues with updates.

What will be gained in the future
  • Ability to repair the system if patches damaged it
  • Ability to fully clean the system from patches

I'm currently doing the adaptations and will release a first version of patchmanager to OpenRepos very soon. However, pandora-enabled lipstick will never move to there. It's too easy to break everything with it, so I prefer to redirect to this TMO post right now.

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-09 18:03

Official announcement: patchmanager 0.4.0 is available in openrepos !

https://openrepos.net/content/sfietk...n/patchmanager

It do not ship pandora-lipstick, and will probably never ship it. This version of patchmanager uses AUSMT, and requires a lot of dependencies, so don't use OBS to download it, and prefer OpenRepos :)

You can download the pandora-box patches here and the stock patches here (gallery video fix).

Note that you must unapply all patches before updating !

Sfiet_Konstantin 2014-04-09 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dommau (Post 1420417)
I found a bug: after being in an area without reception or flightmode, the mobile data switch greys out and isn't usable anymore. reapplying control center patch fixes it.

Well, this isn't related to me. This is a bug from Jolla :P

tiempjuuh 2014-04-10 20:00

Still the connect to the Internet dialog does not show up. At least for me.

Beside that it works like a charm! I love the Harmattan-like feedback on swipes and the unlimited multitask. Fixing that stubborn dialog wouldmake it perfect!