maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ANNOUNCE: MGedcom - Genealogy GEDCOM Reader/Writer (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27041)

darethehair 2009-02-21 21:32

ANNOUNCE: MGedcom - Genealogy GEDCOM Reader/Writer

Hello Folks!

Two older threads inquired about the availability of 'genealogy' apps for the Nokia Internet Tablets:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=6066
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18438

After completing my Python-based 'astronomy' apps, I wanted to continue my Python 'education' by attempting another app based on my hobbies/interests: a GEDCOM reader/writer -- named 'MGedcom' (another 'boring' name following the naming system that I had been following). It is at the bottom of my software page:

http://darethehair.googlepages.com/software.html

The page has some screenshots, as well as a link to the README file for it.

As always, there are a zillion disclaimers. The biggest one is that you should *not* trust my app to manipulate your GEDCOM files with 100% perfection (actually, a lot of *other* genealogy apps also have the same warning!).

What did I learn this time around? Mostly how to do 'tables' (using PyGTK 'treestores') and 'menus'.

To get the most out of this app, you will also need to install the port I did for 'Graphviz', also listed on the same page -- but this is only needed if you want to draw/view a 'graph' of people/family relationships. Actually, I find the nested 'table' approach already quite intuitive for doing this...

As always, I *crave* feedback comments :)

vitasam 2009-05-29 20:22

Re: ANNOUNCE: MGedcom - Genealogy GEDCOM Reader/Writer

Quote:

Originally Posted by darethehair (Post 291886)
vitasam:

1) I don't think my program supports Unicode -- at least I made no efforts to do so, unless it 'just works' by accident :)

2) Yes, I am familiar with GRAMPS. I made my best efforts to support basic GEDCOM reading/writing, which (as you probably know) is the standard exchange format for genealogical data. I would assume that GRAMPS can use/import GEDCOM data in that case (?). Check the README file for everything that I have to say about 'MGedcom'. Originally, it was my intent just to develop a GEDCOM 'reader', but with a lot more effort I tried to turn it into a 'writer' as well -- for the express purpose of being able to use it as a 'field data editor' as you mention. You will need to try it to see if I have succeeded :)

I suggest that you move this conversation to the 'MGedcom' thread instead of this one.

Ok, moved the discussion here.

1). Looks like yes. What I did - I've exported my GRAMPS database to GEDCOM file. And MGedcom was not able to show anything from this file, when I've open it. Just an empty window of the program.

2) checked in 1) :)

Anyway, it is a best from what I've seen for the N8x0. One big whish is to fully migrate in to Unicode (utf-8), since it is a default format of GRAMPS, and Internet table, if I remember correctly.

I'd like to subscribe to the news about MGedcom :)

darethehair 2009-05-31 20:51

vitasam:

I have done a small amount of reading re: UTF-8 and Unicode, but it is too early to say whether I have the skills required to integrate that into MGedcom or not. What might be useful would be a working sample of your 'Russian' GEDCOM file (?).

I am not sure if MGedcom is the *best* for the N8x0 -- it was my impression that it was the *only* one available :) This is sad, since people like to have a 'choice' in the software that they use for very purposes.

As for subscribing to 'news', well, anything of relevance will be in this thread, so you might want to 'subscribe' to it in 'Thread Tools' at the top (at least that is how I do so with threads I am interested in).

vitasam 2009-05-31 21:15

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by darethehair (Post 292469)
vitasam:

I have done a small amount of reading re: UTF-8 and Unicode, but it is too early to say whether I have the skills required to integrate that into MGedcom or not. What might be useful would be a working sample of your 'Russian' GEDCOM file (?)..

I can make such a file, by creating of GRAMPS database of few people. How can I send it to you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by darethehair (Post 292469)
I am not sure if MGedcom is the *best* for the N8x0 -- it was my impression that it was the *only* one available :) This is sad, since people like to have a 'choice' in the software that they use for very purposes.

Yep :) looks like it is an only genealogy software available for N8xx platform

darethehair 2009-05-31 21:25

vitasam: I have sent you a private email with my private email address :)

vitasam 2009-05-31 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by darethehair (Post 292476)
vitasam: I have sent you a private email with my private email address :)

Ok!

By the way. Am I correct, that unicode (or utf-8) is a default encoding table of Maemo platform?

darethehair 2009-06-02 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitasam (Post 292479)

By the way. Am I correct, that unicode (or utf-8) is a default encoding table of Maemo platform?

Sorry, but I have no idea. Hopefully there is an 'expert' out there that knows the answer. I did some Googling, but didn't find anything except a few 'hints'.

jam 2010-01-10 04:42

darenthehair or others: Does MGedcom run on the N900? Any special tricks or cautions?

epage 2010-01-10 04:52

Hmm, none of the links on your software page seem to do anything for me.

darethehair 2010-01-10 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam (Post 461979)
darenthehair or others: Does MGedcom run on the N900? Any special tricks or cautions?

Good question! I don't have (yet or ever?) my own N900, but of all the 'apps' that I have written, it is the one that is 'pure python', so my guess is that it would have the best chance of working out-of-the-box. For now, I depend on others (such as yourself) to 'test' and report back to me and others what success or problems are experienced.

However, if it does *not* work, it will be tricky to 'fix' it :)