maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Develop app on 950 then what? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74492)

lorul2 2011-06-30 11:50

Develop app on 950 then what?

This isn't a rant just an honest question. I'm honestly thrilled that the hardworking, awesome developers here will get an opportunity to use the N950. In my opinion Nokia should let them keep the dev kits. The talent at this site probably sold thousands of N900, not to mention they kept it in the public eye (aka as Engadget) when Nokia was... ahem burning..So here's my question again.

We all know what Elop said about the future of the N9.

So after someone develops an app on the N950 then what will its future be? There is a limited distribution of N9s, Nokia is backing away from Meego. How many meego phones will be produced? Has all the Meego phones that will ever be made been made?

Just trying to understand the strategy with these new phones...

Rugoz 2011-06-30 12:22

Re: Develop app on 950 then what?

Lol, you're spot on. I don't understand the point of the N950 either. Maybe they want a few apps so that owners of the n9 will not be too pissed, and will stay with nokia (and wp7) for the next one.

cfh11 2011-06-30 12:46

The point is to promote Qt... it has been mentioned by several sources that this is part of their "next billion" strategy

IcyMoustache 2011-06-30 13:22

Quote:

The point is to promote Qt... it has been mentioned by several sources that this is part of their "next billion" strategy

Come out of dreamworld and back to reality!!!

We all know there are thousands of QT apps for Symbian. Does even one exist on N900????

Estel 2011-06-30 13:33

The answer about strategy is simple - there is no strategy at all ;) At least until we start considering, that bouncing from wall to wall (for few years now) is a strategy.

Anyway, it's still good that they decided to "lend" N950 to developers - at least 250 people will have interesting (as a curiosity) device. They could just send them to "utilization" - honestly, would You be surprised?

acrux 2011-06-30 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache (Post 1042153)
We all know there are thousands of QT apps for Symbian. Does even one exist on N900????

Actually there are many... :D

Reffyyyy 2011-06-30 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache (Post 1042153)
Come out of dreamworld and back to reality!!!

Are you serious? The Enhanced Lockscreen you have installed on your device is a Qt Application, CuteTube-QML is a Qt application.

qwazix 2011-06-30 14:54

I think he means a QT application ported from symbian. And indeed there may be one but sure they aren't many.

Dave999 2011-06-30 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorul2 (Post 1042090)
This isn't a rant just an honest question. I'm honestly thrilled that the hardworking, awesome developers here will get an opportunity to use the N950. In my opinion Nokia should let them keep the dev kits. The talent at this site probably sold thousands of N900, not to mention they kept it in the public eye (aka as Engadget) when Nokia was... ahem burning..So here's my question again.

We all know what Elop said about the future of the N9.

So after someone develops an app on the N950 then what will its future be? There is a limited distribution of N9s, Nokia is backing away from Meego. How many meego phones will be produced? Has all the Meego phones that will ever be made been made?

Just trying to understand the strategy with these new phones...

whats so hard to understand? I dont get it?

jotoco 2011-06-30 15:19

The problem I see is that Nokia, or rather, Elop is limiting N9 manucturing to just under a 100k units. Even if there is demand there will not be available phones, so it will never be a success.

This is to prevent it making too much success and making WP7 a bad choice, and it makes n950 obsolete, because there won't be any buyers for apps.