maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Ubuntu (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Canonical announces Ubuntu for smartphones, we go hands-on (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88490)

ranbaxy 2013-01-02 18:15

Canonical announces Ubuntu for smartphones, we go hands-on

This is no ordinary Galaxy Nexus. Instead of Android, it's running a very different Linux-based OS -- the long-awaited mobile version of Ubuntu -- which comes with a new UI adapted for smaller screens. We've played with the phone briefly and we'll have a proper hands-on video for you shortly, but in the meantime there are a few salient features to report. First and foremost, the UI relies heavily on edge swipes instead of buttons -- much like Windows 8 on a tablet or indeed other mobile OS's like MeeGo, although here each swipe has its own Ubuntu-esque functions. Beyond that, the icons along the top have some interesting features, which we'll explain after the break. We're also told that voice control is in attendance, and that an app store is in the works, with a mix of both web apps and native apps -- with the latter type being able to make better use of the hardware.

Speaking of hardware, here's where you might get a twinge of disappointment: there are no immediate plans for actual Ubuntu phones, and no carriers have been signed up yet -- although we're told that the OS will run on any new phone built for Android, should a manufacturer see merit in installing Ubuntu instead. Rather like Ubuntu for Android, this is still an idea looking for a device -- but as ideas go, our initial impression is that it looks like a bright one, especially if you dig Linux and open source. Check out the press release after the break and stay tuned for more in depth coverage imminently.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....nds-on-620.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/u...r-smartphones/

thedead1440 2013-01-02 18:37

Re: Canonical announces Ubuntu for smartphones, we go hands-on

Ubuntu on an Android Device
Jolla
BB10

Wow my device palette for this year seems quite full now itself :D

But yeah Ubuntu on phone may be nice...

www.rzr.online.fr 2013-01-02 18:40

btw do you feel UbuntuForAndroid can be ported / adapted to our favorite platform N9

AndiThebest 2013-01-02 18:57

looks not bad, but i think jolla will bring something better and will be more successful ;)
canonical has created ubuntuTV and ubuntu for android, but none of these can be used actually. i hope it's not the same with ubuntu phoneOS

herpderp 2013-01-02 18:59

The Harmattan fans who dwell around here will jizz in their pants when they see all the swipy menus.

marbleuser 2013-01-02 19:06

Does this give me anything my n900 running easy debian doesn't give me? no.

Dave999 2013-01-02 19:38

Come on its great. Seems like an easy way to get rid of android problem on Android phones.

n-mi 2013-01-02 19:48

Lot of OSes that are announced these times, but sadly I see nothing on the hardware side. By nothing I say : no recent smartphone with gorgeous specification AND an hardware keyboard.

Ubuntu, Jolla, Tizen look fine, but what I really want is an N900 with newer hardware... :(

ebasconp 2013-01-02 19:58

Do you think this thing could work in my beloved N900?

I would love it would!!

diogotrc 2013-01-02 19:58

IMO
rpm > deb
qt > gtk
so
Sailfish > Ubuntu.

Boxeri 2013-01-02 20:32

I really liked some things they had there. Especially the design and execution of the "status bar" looked really nice. Definetly something I will be looking for closely

qwazix 2013-01-02 20:35

They didn't show us multitasking though

shmerl 2013-01-02 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogotrc (Post 1310257)
IMO
rpm > deb
qt > gtk
so
Sailfish > Ubuntu.

They (Ubuntu) use Qt 5, not GTK. So I think lot's of developer base can be shared. Packaging is a minor issue.

By the way, how exactly they do this: ?
Quote:

yet it uses the same drivers as Android.
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Wreck 2013-01-02 20:37

Really excited. Now bring me one with a hardware keyboard please.

Half-Life_4_Life 2013-01-02 20:42

Yees!

What's the last Android phone I can rememberr with a hardware keyboard?Eeeerm...Xperia x10 Mini heheheh...heh.

Dave999 2013-01-02 20:45

Have several android laying around waiting for this :D Give it to me.

Much faster than sailfish and tizen. Ubuntu rules... Lets see how it's working for end users.

gerbick 2013-01-02 20:47

2013, year of the mobile Linux... finally?

shmerl 2013-01-02 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1310271)
Much faster than sailfish and tizen. Ubuntu rules... Lets see how it's working for end users.

What exactly is faster? Jolla ships their device in Q1 2013. Canonical didn't even specify a date yet.

Dave999 2013-01-02 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1310273)
2013, year of the mobile Linux... finally?

Yes, this can be the year when danramos leaving android for ubuntu mobile os.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1310275)
What exactly is faster? Jolla ships their device in Q1 2013. Canonical didn't even specify a date yet.

Faster to our devices. I think it will be available the coming weeks. Faster is better. :D still Jolla's has still a chance to be faster, but we will see...

tiloubrunet 2013-01-02 21:06

I think nokia should use ubuntu on newer devices B)

taixzo 2013-01-02 21:11

Canonical said this was targeted at "lower-end phones". I wonder whether we can port this to the N900?

bandora 2013-01-02 21:13

N900 isn't a "lower-end phone".. Whatchu talking about willis?

Dave999 2013-01-02 21:20

Not sure what they mean with low end. Check out the lag on galaxy Nexus. It's still dev, but still. Did they use different builds or was it just better hw during main demo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=kXWnMTm7We8#!

He refer to n9 as well :)

Petteri 2013-01-02 21:21

Hopefully this will be ported to N9!

tiloubrunet 2013-01-02 21:46

why not n900 :(

freemangordon 2013-01-02 21:58

Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 already work on n900, I doubt their mobile cousin will be hard to port. The question is - does it make sense.

MINKIN2 2013-01-02 22:08

Oh this is nice, I may have to pick up a nexus after all.

I wonder if it possible to use a docking function (ala Motorola Atrix) with ubuntu mobile?

taixzo 2013-01-02 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandora (Post 1310285)
N900 isn't a "lower-end phone".. Whatchu talking about willis?

I'm talking about RAM. Even low-end phones have at least 512 mb nowadays.

Nad 2013-01-02 22:10

Sorry but the launcher bit from the left seems utter balls - wont be useful apart from pinning a few most used apps.

The multi-tasking views is cards, 3 wide so thats OK.

The notifications is cool, but its gonna be difficult to use one handed as even with two hands, the folk struggled when moving between notification tabs.

I know its alpha/beta software but judging how powerful these droids are, it is ridiculously laggy.

Sorry but to this day, even after jolla's swipe concepts - harmattan is just SIMPLE and easy to use - they really were onto a winner but we all know what happened...

taixzo 2013-01-02 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1310300)
Oh this is nice, I may have to pick up a nexus after all.

I wonder if it possible to use a docking function (ala Motorola Atrix) with ubuntu mobile?

Mark Shuttleworth said that was possible in the video, since it is a full Ubuntu distribution.

ajalkane 2013-01-02 22:31

That was quite promising looking. The performance on the demo left lots to improve, but otherwise I liked what little I looked at.

It's going to be interesting times ahead in mobile, with Jolla, Ubuntu and to lesser extent also BB10... perhaps even Firefox OS will give something interesting, though I have my doubts about that (seems Tizen-y).

The delicious problem becomes which platform to choose! It's been quite a while in mobile arena when there's been such a nice selection for open source enthusiast / walled-garden-hater to choose from.

flotron 2013-01-02 22:32

jolla sucks

Dave999 2013-01-02 22:33

So basically these are two different things: ubuntu for Android and ubuntu phone OS.

Ubuntu for Android is more like a live CD for locked devices. And if so would it be possible run as an application like the rest when we are talking ubuntu for Android(home button back to android)

Ubuntu phone os is only for unlocked(or manufacturer approved) devices.

Do you also look at it this way?

railroadmaster 2013-01-02 23:07

Well they said this can be run on any Android device. The OS can use the same kernel as Android. To my knowledge Jolla/Meego/Maemo/Moblix can't do that. This is far more useful than other linux oses because it takes advantage of what is already there. Drivers won't be an issue the way they are with other oses. It is still true linux so native linux applications can be run on it. Even if manufacturers won't adopt this it is possible for it to become popular with the modding and flashing crowd.

Dave999 2013-01-02 23:22

http://i.imgur.com/iMw5p.jpg

This is what they are presenting for partners/oems... Intresting 32 gb next year?

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

gerbick 2013-01-02 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiloubrunet (Post 1310292)
why not n900 :(

Lack of multi-touch.

railroadmaster 2013-01-02 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1310330)
Lack of multi-touch.

not to mention the somewhat massive hardware requirements.

Hurrian 2013-01-03 00:08

Heh, when has hardware requirements ever stopped the N900?

If we hobbled along using Unity on the N900, we'll hobble along well into the next decade, with more swapping!

All that remains to be seen, is whether the Ubuntu Phone stack is open or not.

m4r0v3r 2013-01-03 00:20

i feel better am getting a nexus 4lool

nodevel 2013-01-03 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1310323)
Well they said this can be run on any Android device. The OS can use the same kernel as Android. To my knowledge Jolla/Meego/Maemo/Moblix can't do that. This is far more useful than other linux oses because it takes advantage of what is already there. Drivers won't be an issue the way they are with other oses. It is still true linux so native linux applications can be run on it. Even if manufacturers won't adopt this it is possible for it to become popular with the modding and flashing crowd.

I think it's little bit different...
AFAIK since Linux 3.3, merging of Android code to the main line was re-established. That means, Android's kernel should be the same as the standard one.
So, it's not Canonical's work - they are just using the latest kernel and enjoying the advantages. Naturally Jolla and others can do the same thing.
For example: right now I'm running Linux 3.6 on my laptop, so 3.3 isn't that bleeding edge...

Sources:
http://www.osnews.com/story/25457/An...nux_3_3_Kernel
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...g-system/10625