maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Design (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32935)

claesbas 2009-10-15 21:05

N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

3 Attachment(s)
OLD:
After hearing that the boot video of the n900 could be changed I could not resist in doing something alternative for the community. I have no idea where this video is located in the file structure but I am sure someone here can tell. I think I have rendered a correct 800x480 (xvid and mp3) video in a avi container..

UPDATE: Added dark version with new sounds! :-) also an 9hour render with motion blur so the animation is really smooth. It was worth the wait, hehe.. not quite. I removed the penguin. This theme is to dark for a happy penguin.

NEW UPDATE:
(I can't stop tweaking this.. :-)
I now know the meaning of loong render times. Made a flyby camera movement and put it on render over night. I added the components logos in the bottom (if this is a trademark issue again I will delete them) at the end of the video. Lots of After Effects stuff here.. wish I knew Blender. I hear rumours that Apple Shake (old like 2.0 or 3.0) sources was released to some companies. There is a linux version of that. I wish someone stole those and made a open-soruce compositing package ;-).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDVsx (Post 347925)
It works :D

According to Karoliina:

"As a matter of fact the hildon-welcome is fully configurable.
You don't need to remove/replace the Nokia hands animation file to add your own animation or sound to the startup. Hildon-welcome supports unlimited number of "logo animations" (either video or image+sound) in sequence. It reads all configuration files in the hildon-welcome.d folder and interprets them in alphabetical

Instructions:

1- Copy the video to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media
2- Go to /etc/hildon-welcome.d/ and edit the default.conf file or create a similar one (the videos will play by the alphabetic order of the .conf files)

Matching panoramic wallpapers: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32407

And here are some screenshots of it:

sachin007 2009-10-15 21:06

Re: N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

This is awesum!

Quindor 2009-10-15 21:18

I think the video is okay but certainly has more potential! Maybe make the camera move just a bit slower and have a slight bend/turn in it. That would make it even more classy I think. No clue how long the movies can be off course! :S

The audio though actually hurts my ears, make it softer and nicer? Not less loud, just change the tones a bit.

claesbas 2009-10-15 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindor (Post 347810)
I think the video is okay but certainly has more potential! Maybe make the camera move just a bit slower and have a slight bend/turn in it. That would make it even more classy I think. No clue how long the movies can be off course! :S

The audio though actually hurts my ears, make it softer and nicer? Not less loud, just change the tones a bit.

I took it down one octave and it was nice to ears :-) .. thanks for tips. The camera movement could use some nicer movement. Im not so into the animation tools so its alot of trial and error.. but I'll see what I can do..

linuxeventually 2009-10-15 22:33

Bravo, claesbas!

Jack6428 2009-10-15 22:40

i like, i like, i like

lcuk 2009-10-15 22:41

claesbas,

wow

get each of those balls with a very faded logo of the principle components.
the slogan starts with "open source" because that is why we are here.

zerojay 2009-10-15 22:45

Good stuff. Does anyone know for sure if this would actually work at startup or how to apply it?

VDVsx 2009-10-15 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 347907)
Good stuff. Does anyone know for sure if this would actually work at startup or how to apply it?

It works :D

According to Karoliina:

"As a matter of fact the hildon-welcome is fully configurable.
You don't need to remove/replace the Nokia hands animation file to add your own animation or sound to the startup. Hildon-welcome supports unlimited number of "logo animations" (either video or image+sound) in sequence. It reads all configuration files in the hildon-welcome.d folder and interprets them in alphabetical order. "

Instructions:

1- Copy the video to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media
2- Go to /etc/hildon-welcome.d/ and edit the default.conf file or create a similar one (the videos will play by the alphabetic order of the .conf files)

VDVsx 2009-10-15 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 347921)
Place a properly encoded file in:

/usr/share/hildon-welcome/media

At startup, the system will play all clips in that directory in alphabetical order. The existing clip is "Hands-v32-h264.avi".

Didn't worked for me :). I had to modify the file described in my the post above.