maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Telegram on N900- a free,cloud-based, decentralized and heavily encrypted WhatsApp like app (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91888)

nthn 2017-01-27 09:23

Re: Telegram on N900- a free,cloud-based, decentralized and heavily encrypted WhatsApp like app

"Free" could also be removed because the server code most definitely isn't, and "heavily encrypted" should also be removed because it isn't encrypted by default and the encryption is some home-baked nonsense anyway. In the end, it's just "Telegram, a WhatsApp-like app", which describes it perfectly and tells no lies.

Marshall Banana 2017-01-29 19:13

Re: Telegram on N900- a free,cloud-based, decentralized and heavily encrypted WhatsApp like app

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1522324)
I compiled the latest version.
Seems to work testers welcome.
Changlog says 1.3.3 console output 1.4.1.

You will need the libjansson4 from extra-devel.
And maybe some other like libconfig8.

Thx for compiling.

To get it running i needed to install libevent and create a symlink from libevent-2.0.so.2.0.0 to libevent-2.0.so.5.

After that i could register and send and recieve messages. Sending and recieving images works, too. Didn't try video and audio so far.

A few tips for usage:
Space in peer names needs to be converted to underscore:
msg Bob_Smith Hello
To download images you need the msg-id, to see msg-ids you need to do this:
set msg_num 1

Halftux 2017-01-29 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Banana (Post 1522582)
Thx for compiling.

To get it running i needed to install libevent and create a symlink from libevent-2.0.so.2.0.0 to libevent-2.0.so.5.

There are different libevent packages. I used libevent-2.0-5 which I think is the latest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Banana (Post 1522582)
After that i could register and send and recieve messages. Sending and recieving images works, too. Didn't try video and audio so far.

Thank you for your report. It sounds promising also good tips.

Halftux 2017-08-25 11:26

2 Attachment(s)
I compiled the telegram-qt library and testapp. If somebody would like to play with it and reporting if something is working he can do so.
The ui needs improvements which I could do after success report.

I used this source code.

t-b 2017-08-25 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1533215)
The ui needs improvements which I could do after success report.

Not sure what you consider a 'success report' but I installed it and successfully sent some messages and received them on my own account.
UI indeed needs a bit of work. Tried to delete a contact, that didn't work

If you like me to do some additional testing - let me know.

[edit] tried it again today, but I can't connect and 'get code' doesn't seem to work anymore (and I can't fill in an older code)

sicelo 2017-08-26 18:03

@Halftux: I also tested and most stuff works okay for me (even login a second time).

UI needs a lot of work.

maegon9y00 2017-08-26 21:39

Writing from a n900 my brother gave me. telephone functions doesn't work anymore.

I'll try download at test the package and do my report also.

EDIT: thinking about that... even if i install and run the app.. how telegram would send me the code since I have no telephone functions?
I gonna try web.telegram.org using microB and the simcard on a functional phone. Let's see what happens

t-b 2017-08-27 07:22

That should indeed work. You don't need phone functions on the device on which you have installed Telegram.
I have first installed Telegram on my Ubuntu desktop and only later on my N900.

I have read somewhere you can even setup telegram without having a phone number by using google voice. Google voice provides a phone number and with that service you should also be able to receive the code.

Halftux 2018-04-27 16:06

So no complains or improvements regarding telegram-cli 1.3.3, then I will try to throw it into the extras-devel repo.

sicelo 2018-04-27 19:39

I confess I hadn't tested telegram-cli (only tested qt telegram), but I am all for uploading it. I only started using telegram-cli a week ago on postmarketOS, and only two days ago compiled it for Leste. Would be great to have it on Fremantle.

Any chance to bump it to version 1.4?