maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   after "rm -rf /opt/* " n900 is broken (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83598)

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 03:44

after "rm -rf /opt/* " n900 is broken

I've made a very big mistake....
i just wanted to free some opt space, but....
I've read somewhere in this forum that I must type this command in terminal "rm -rf /opt/* " to free some opt space
and now my n900 is totally broken, after the reboot there's no font, all is messed up, impossibile to use....
the only thing that I can do is to put the phone in nokia suite mode or mass memory. only this.
I've made a backup, but now I just want to flash my n900, but it's impossibile because it is unusable....
How can I solve this?????
Help me please....

TMavica 2012-04-13 03:50

Re: after "rm -rf /opt/* " n900 is broken

reflash your device..

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 04:07

If I could!!!
I really don't know how because it is unusable
By the way I'm trying with nokia suite but......the installation stops saying that it lost the connection......

misterc 2012-04-13 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orsobirra (Post 1191473)
I've made a very big mistake....
i just wanted to free some opt space, but....
I've read somewhere in this forum that I must type this command in terminal "rm -rf /opt/* " to free some opt space
and now my n900 is totally broken, after the reboot there's no font, all is messed up, impossibile to use....
the only thing that I can do is to put the phone in nokia suite mode or mass memory. only this.
I've made a backup, but now I just want to flash my n900, but it's impossibile because it is unusable....
How can I solve this?????
Help me please....

Updating the firmware - maemo.org wiki / 2.4 Windows / 2.4.1 N900 / 2.4.1.2 Updating or re-flashing the firmware using the Flasher

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 04:18

I'm doing this immediately!
I will update you on my progress
thanks for the help

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 04:59

It's very hard but for now it's going well.
My question is:
"
Run the following command (TIP: Do not include '-R' if you are flashing EMMC as well, see below):

flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R"

Is it right to put -R in my case?

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 05:17

Done!
I did it and seems ok but:
-the boot is very very slow
-when I turn off the phone makes a sound that had never done before (and some icons appears randomly from other wallpaper)
-it doesn't recognize the sim card
-nokia suite is unable to find it
Is it normal?

(probably my mistake, I've not installed the latest firmware)

Installing latest firmware solved all (except slow boot)

santiago 2012-04-13 05:46

rm -rf it's dangerous, don't use it if you don't know what you're doing.

Anyway... -R parameter n the flash windows is required to Reboot the device after the flash.

You must use Maemo Flasher becouse is more secure respect to others suites. Do a flash starting by flashing first the Vanilla image, and after this, flash again the rootfs. Follow this order and don't have panic, everyone of us get your same situation.

Use latest images of the firmware becouse if you had the old cmt the phone module doesnt work. use latest firmware please.

And: dont use to cross post! Use the edit button!

Orsobirra 2012-04-13 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiago (Post 1191499)
And: dont use to cross post! Use the edit button!

Sorry for that! I'm a little bit newbie here :)
I'm not so good in english (and forum) and I don't really understand what you mean with "to cross post" :(

By the way, all seems fine now.
I've restore the backup that I've done (not without problems becouse of broken interface) before the flashing, and now I'm reinstalling all app.

Do you recommend anyway to flash with Vanilla image and reflash rootfs? Does it help with booting time?

Thanks

mr_pingu 2012-04-13 06:21

Yes do vanilla and combined (rootfs) it will restore your N900 to factory state ;) Fast and responsive...