maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   No N9 in UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74450)

Brock 2011-06-29 12:11

No N9 in UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D?

Hi!
Found this article (in german) which says that they got confirmation that the N9 wont sell in 6 european countrys (UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D)...

If this is true, i will be really pissed *sorry for bad words*

i will try to find more sources and a translation or something like this

http://www.mobiflip.de/2011/06/exklu...windows-phone/

EDIT:
"Die Niederlande wird, zusammen mit 5 anderen Ländern, eines der ersten Länder sein, in denen Nokia erstes Windows Phone anbieten möchte."
"the netherlands, together with 5 other countrys, will be on of the the first countrys where nokia will sell their first wp7 phone"

EDIT2:
here is another article in english
http://recombu.com/news/nokia-n9-not...pe_M14553.html

JD2010 2011-06-29 12:14

Re: no N9 in UK, FR, IT, NL and D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041421)
Hi!
Found this article (in german) which says that they got confirmation that the N9 wont sell in 5 european countrys (UK, FR, IT, NL and D)...

If this is true, i will be really pissed *sorry for bad words*

i will try to find more sources and a translation or something like this

http://www.mobiflip.de/2011/06/exklu...windows-phone/

Don't worry they will put the N950 for sale right after

Brock 2011-06-29 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD2010 (Post 1041422)

cmon, be serious, we all know that the n950 wont be sold in any way, so stop rumoring, someone else could believe you

johnel 2011-06-29 12:23

Re: no N9 in UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D

It's fascinating watching a company like Nokia slowly implode from consistant corporate stupidity.

dansus 2011-06-29 12:23

Seems the N9 will be available through 3rd party sellers in strong WP carrier markets, Expansys and others claim they will offer it for sale.

johnel 2011-06-29 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansus (Post 1041432)
Seems the N9 will be available through 3rd party sellers in strong WP carrier markets, Expansys and others claim they will offer it for sale.

Which will probably mean at inflated prices too.

Brock 2011-06-29 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansus (Post 1041432)

yes, i have read another article about the company "fun mobile" saying that they will sell the N9 and some accessories in the UK

sjgadsby 2011-06-29 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041421)
Hi!
Found this article (in german) which says that they got confirmation that the N9 wont sell in 6 european countrys (UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D)...

Very soon, Nokia won't be selling any phones at all in the UK. They plan the same in other developed, competitive markets.

Nokia not selling phones directly in a market does not necessarily equal Nokia phones not being available for sale in that market.

Brock 2011-06-29 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 1041440)
Very soon, Nokia won't be selling any phones at all in the UK. They plan the same in other developed, competitive markets.

Nokia not selling phones directly in a market does not necessarily equal Nokia phones not being available for sale in that market.

i hope you are right, but keep in mind that germany is missing in that list too and has been mentioned by the vice pres to be primary wp7 market... and nokia is not closing the online store here (afaik)

corduroysack 2011-06-29 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD2010 (Post 1041422)

lol it made me chuckle Cheers :)

kanishou 2011-06-29 12:47

This article is mainly conjecture, which goes like this:

"Nokia Windows Phone will first be offered in country X, Y and Z. Country X, Y and Z are not in the drop-down list for the N9. We don't think it would make sense for Nokia to sell two flagships in one country. Ergo: No N9 in country X, Y and Z."

The only information the author got he claims is from "two independent sources", of which one's credibility is the prediction of the Juli 21 release (but then, who didn't predict that?), so I guess the other source is even less credible. Then he also said that this source claims that as of today "Nokia itself isn't even sure about it yet".

Also, how would that be compatible with this?

http://www.journalism.co.uk/press-re...9/s66/a544877/

I highly doubt that Nokia is going to go around saying "sorry, you can't have it" to third party distributors or operators, though I wouldn't be surprised if they will focus their marketing on one or the other based on region.

Brock 2011-06-29 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanishou (Post 1041447)
This article is mainly conjecture, which goes like this:

"Nokia Windows Phone will first be offered in country X, Y and Z. Country X, Y and Z are not in the drop-down list for the N9. We don't think it would make sense for Nokia to sell two flagships in one country. Ergo: No N9 in country X, Y and Z."

The only information the author got he claims is from "two independent sources", of which one's credibility is the prediction of the Juli 21 release (but then, who didn't predict that?), so I guess the other source is even less credible. Then he also said that this source claims that as of today "Nokia itself isn't even sure about it yet".

Also, how would that be compatible with this?

http://www.journalism.co.uk/press-re...9/s66/a544877/

I highly doubt that Nokia is going to go around saying "sorry, you can't have it" to third party distributors or operators, though I wouldn't be surprised if they will focus their marketing on one or the other based on region.

that was the article i have searched for... thanks...

but we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...

buchanmilne 2011-06-29 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041450)
but we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...

AFAIK, we don't have confirmation that we will see N9 anywhere except Sweden, so that is hardly a reason to expect the worst.

I would expect to see the N9 from all carriers who had the N900 (which doesn't necessarily help me, no carriers in South Africa offered it, but some service providers did it on carrier contracts).

shallimus 2011-06-29 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041450)
we still have no confirmation that we will see the N9 in these countrys... so i still expect the worst...

So what's the worst? That Nokia won't sell it directly? Maybe that you'll get limited support?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver @ Mobiflip with an 'exclusive'
"Die Antwort ist eigentlich logisch"

Yeah, sure, but logical deduction isn't the same as fact (and on its own doesn't amount to journalism, either).

N900 was a grey market import for everyone living in Canada, but it didn't stop people enjoying it. Worry less and look forward to the N9, despite Nokia's apparent inability to make the most of the [non-WP] opportunities in front of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buchanmilne (Post 1041455)
AFAIK, we don't have confirmation that we will see N9 anywhere except Sweden, so that is hardly a reason to expect the worst.

Agreed. N8 availability picture took a while to become clear, if memory serves (not that I was waiting to buy one, but still).

Quote:

Originally Posted by buchanmilne (Post 1041455)
I would expect to see the N9 from all carriers who had the N900 (which doesn't necessarily help me, no carriers in South Africa offered it, but some service providers did it on carrier contracts).

Why do you have to buy your phone from your carrier? Aren't there SIM-only contracts in SA?

Frickelson 2011-06-29 13:14

it would be very bad if the N9 will not -officially- be sold in the listed european countrys because its possible that it will be the only phone with meego/harmattan for the next time... though i dont think that they will do it that way :)

@Brock: greetings to you as a almost-neighbour :D (im from Göttingen...)

Brock 2011-06-29 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallimus (Post 1041457)
So what's the worst? That Nokia won't sell it directly? Maybe that you'll get limited support?

N900 was a grey market import for everyone living in Canada, but it didn't stop people enjoying it. Worry less and look forward to the N9, despite Nokia's apparent inability to make the most of the [non-WP] opportunities in front of it.

Agreed. N8 availability picture took a while to become clear, if memory serves (not that I was waiting to buy one, but still).

Why do you have to buy your phone from your carrier? Aren't there SIM-only contracts in SA?

The problem for me is that i dont know at the moment, how i can get the device from inside germany. eg if its available at amazon.de (without contract) it would be enough and i get the 2year warranty, same for the n900 in dec last year (and i remember a little that the availablility list of n900 wasnt finished at the beginning either ;))

@Frickelson: schöne Grüße zurück aus Garbsen ;)

zymo 2011-06-29 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041472)
The problem for me is that i dont know at the moment, how i can get the device from inside germany. eg if its available at amazon.de (without contract) it would be enough and i get the 2year warranty, same for the n900 in dec last year (and i remember a little that the availablility list of n900 wasnt finished at the beginning either ;))

@Frickelson: schöne Grüße zurück aus Garbsen ;)

if the n9 won’t be sold in germany then you ca buy it from austria! you still have got warranty on that device within europe.

smoothc 2011-06-29 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 1041425)
cmon, be serious, we all know that the n950 wont be sold in any way, so stop rumoring, someone else could believe you

Because your info comes from an official source. Oh wait.....

N9 will be available in those countries just like all other nokia phones.

stickymick 2011-06-29 14:15

Who can you believe about all this?

TBH, You're better off waiting to see what other manufacturers will do with MeeGo rather than wait for Nokia/MS to come clean and tell us what the colour of the sky is.

tissot 2011-06-29 14:27

Quote:

Nokia's own store has never meant anything.
They are overpriced netstores not even directly operated by Nokia. Even in countries where Nokia sells, like Finland they are shutting the store down, while the just as overpriced Nokia flagship store stays because of the Russian tourists. ;)

Though i have to say i could see Nokia not selling N9 in countries like UK, mainly because of WP. But then if N900 was selling almost everywhere in a way or another i'm sure N9 will find it's way somehow while that might not be a carrier.

Soulaxe 2011-06-29 14:31

Hahahahahaha, Nokia really know what they're doing these days!

Rugoz 2011-06-29 14:31

There is NO OFFICIAL WORD on release date yet, nor availability, except that obscure drop-down list. They only said it will come this year. There are rumours it will be available in august or september. The fact nokia has not announced a date yet kind of indicates that they have not yet decided what to do with the n9. Make it a success (and support it), or use it as a small experiment on selected markets.

geojoking 2011-06-29 16:55

Well I'm sorry to say, but it kind of makes sense to focus on offering the WP7 in DE, UK, ES etc. because all the services that come with the WP7 phones don't work in other countries. Try using BING search for restaurants and whatnot in Romania (where I'm from) and you'll realize the results are thin.

So, even if the primary focus will be on the N9 or the WP7, depending on the country, I'm sure you can still get either of them. Just not through Nokia, but, as someone pointed out, Nokia is on the route to closing down its Nokia stores because they are just not profitable.

Again, I have the example of Romania. Nokia stores here are closing one by one because they just can't compete with carriers and distributors. A N900 used to cost a small fortune at the Nokia store, and it "went" with almost half the price @ carriers. So...

silent_64 2011-06-29 18:43

Now I had to register just to end all this foolish speculation.

A dropdown list on Nokias webpage is not the end-all gospel regarding availability. Especially when the dev-page for the N9 states.

"Regional Availability:Global "

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...ifications/N9/ - General tab

It doesn't say excluding UK, FR, IT, NL or any other WP launch countries, global means global.

Second, the dropdown list is completely bogus, here in Denmark we have 2 carriers confirming they'll stock the N9 upon release, one more stating they'll only carry the 16 GB version, and another carrier stating they'll wait and see how it's received. All 4 of them though acknowledging that it will in fact be released in DK - Even though we aren't in the dropdown list.

mrsellout 2011-06-29 18:46

Quote:

I'm buying into this theory more and more for 2 reasons.
1, Places like expansys and play have listed them (a couple more have them listed at £499, but I don't know if these are legitimate sites).
2, UK magazines like Techradar and T3 have been allowed to review it. Why send a phone out for review in a territory you don't intend to distribute the phone in.

Off course Nokia could make matters clearer by talking to their consumers, but that sounds too easy.

casper27 2011-06-29 19:00

Of course it will be available in most countries. A quick search has the UK covered anyways by a few independants.
http://www.superetrader.co.uk/nokia-...e-p-12773.html
More will follow. The only reason the N9 WP might not launch with some carriers is Skype. But as seen with the Indian versian of N900 they can disable it by firmware region, which can be got around anyway.

By the way just come across this webpage, has a lot of information on N9.
http://www.n9fanclub.com/

Jedibeeftrix 2011-06-29 19:19

Quote:

i hope you are right, because expansys isn't good enough.

i'd like some confirmation that uk carriers will be able to put the n9 on contract.........

momcilo 2011-06-29 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by silent_64 (Post 1041640)

It doesn't say excluding UK, FR, IT, NL or any other WP launch countries, global means global.

Second, the dropdown list is completely bogus, here in Denmark we have 2 carriers confirming they'll stock the N9 upon release, one more stating they'll only carry the 16 GB version, and another carrier stating they'll wait and see how it's received. All 4 of them though acknowledging that it will in fact be released in DK - Even though we aren't in the dropdown list.

Perhaps the delivery in UK, FR, IT, NL is already guaranteed, and Nokia is using the page to measure the demand in other (listed) markets?

Yaser88 2011-06-30 21:37

Nokia N9 to miss on some major markets; Western Europa / North America!

Are they looking to actually release N950 then ?!

Quote:

The Nokia N9 certainly made a great first impression and a lot of people are eager to get their hands on it. That's why Nokia put up a webpage, that should help you find out when the device becomes available in your area. Interestingly though, the Finns seems to have no plans of releasing the N9 in some of the biggest markets in the world. Some of the countries, which will surprisingly miss on the MeeGo smartphone are USA, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canada etc.
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9_ava...-news-2841.php

slaapliedje 2011-06-30 22:00

Re: Nokia N9 to miss on some major markets; Western Europa / North America!

I call bull crap. In fact I was thinking that more than likely the carriers will end up renaming the N9 to something lame like "the Nokia MoFo." Because Nokia is planning on Fo'ing your Mo'.

It's like the C7 is called the Nokia Astound on T-Mobile here.

Anyhow, doesn't really matter, since it supports both the T-Mobile and AT&T frequencies here in the USA, so even if they don't sell it here, doesn't mean we can't import it, right?

slaapliedje

Rugoz 2011-06-30 22:05

Lets hope that is a mistake or a joke or both. Because otherwise this will kill n9 sales. I'm sure carriers in the countries left out (at least the european ones) are currently putting pressure on nokia to supply them with the n9. Nokia currently needs some serious kick in the *** from carriers. I'm sure they're not excited about having more wp7 handsets which don't sell.

jotoco 2011-06-30 22:17

This is true.

Elop is planning on manufacting just under a 100k n9's. So it is expected that it's availability won't be too broad.

And it means you will probably not be able to import it, because of a limited amount of devices. I suspect the N9 will find it's way to ebay for upwards of U$1000,00 since it will be so rare.

Patrickcctx 2011-06-30 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 1042474)
I call bull crap. In fact I was thinking that more than likely the carriers will end up renaming the N9 to something lame like "the Nokia MoFo." Because Nokia is planning on Fo'ing your Mo'.

It's like the C7 is called the Nokia Astound on T-Mobile here.

Anyhow, doesn't really matter, since it supports both the T-Mobile and AT&T frequencies here in the USA, so even if they don't sell it here, doesn't mean we can't import it, right?

slaapliedje

Can you imagine T-Mobile carrying the N9 in the US? Highly unlikely in my opinion.

I think the main reason Elop has decided that he doesn't want to release the N9 globally is that he doesn't want it to eclipse the WP7 phones coming out late this year and next year. So note that the US, Canada and the UK are left out of the release countries - I am guessing these are countries where Nokia really wants to focus on helping out Microsoft build market share.

cfh11 2011-06-30 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoco (Post 1042479)
This is true.

Elop is planning on manufacting just under a 100k n9's. So it is expected that it's availability won't be too broad.

And it means you will probably not be able to import it, because of a limited amount of devices. I suspect the N9 will find it's way to ebay for upwards of U$1000,00 since it will be so rare.

:rolleyes: complete bullcrap

erendorn 2011-06-30 22:40

Lol still based on the list from the first day. It's been discussed so much. Nobody knows, especially not eldar, and this list means no-thing. So yes it can be true (or not), but if I flip a coin, it can also be head (or tails), if you see what I mean.

slaapliedje 2011-06-30 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickcctx (Post 1042486)
Can you imagine T-Mobile carrying the N9 in the US? Highly unlikely in my opinion.

I think the main reason Elop has decided that he doesn't want to release the N9 globally is that he doesn't want it to eclipse the WP7 phones coming out late this year and next year. So note that the US, Canada and the UK are left out of the release countries - I am guessing these are countries where Nokia really wants to focus on helping out Microsoft build market share.

What would be the point in supporting the frequencies it does then? As far as I know, the only ones really using 1700/2100 UMTS is T-Mobile and very few others in Canada and US. Why would they make the N9 handle these if it was never meant to work here... so either way, the N9 should work here, even if we have to import it.

jolo 2011-06-30 23:57

I work for Nokia, and have been told that the N9 will be available in those markets, via on-line partners. This is still subject to change, but I believe the sales teams have heard about the interest in the N9 and are planning how to sell them.

sjgadsby 2011-07-01 01:37

The thread "Nokia N9 to miss on some major markets; Western Europa / North America!" (8 posts) has been merged into this thread.

kevloral 2011-07-01 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugoz (Post 1042476)
I'm sure they're not excited about having more wp7 handsets which don't sell.

Actually, it is the carriers that don't want any wp7 handset to sell.

cy8aer 2011-07-01 07:17

Re: No N9 in UK, FR, IT, NL, ES and D?

For Europe I do not have so much problems: It is sold in Austria, Finland... So then: Buy it in Austria or Finland if you live in EU. You have the same online rights as in every other EU state (e.g 2 weeks send back...). There is not every thing bad in EU. If you really want the N9, so what...