maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [REQ] Swipe to close app - always from portrait. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83306)

chrisp7 2012-03-28 13:33

[REQ] Swipe to close app - always from portrait.

At the moment if the N9 is/thinks it its 'horizontal' apps close if you swipe right to left (effectively downwards). Sometimes there is no knowing if the phone thinks it is horizontal, meaning annoyingly you close apps without realising it (especially annoying if you are tracking a run, say).

Is there an app/mod that makes the downward swiping action from top to bottom of the device in portrait the only swipe action that closes an app?

Hope Im making sense!? Im sure people encounter this issue themselves at times?

ssjmec 2012-03-28 18:46

Re: [REQ] Swipe to close app - always from portrait.

The latest version of HomescreenApp have this. In the lock orientation, you have Portrait (also applications) which makes closing app only from the top of the phone (nokia logo). But this also disables landscape modes even of those messages app and the like

ssjmec 2012-03-28 18:47

**Home Screen Settings app

chrisp7 2012-03-28 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjmec (Post 1185222)
The latest version of HomescreenApp have this. In the lock orientation, you have Portrait (also applications) which makes closing app only from the top of the phone (nokia logo). But this also disables landscape modes even of those messages app and the like

Whatabout applications that only run in landscape?

toki 2012-03-29 03:15

in general.. no matter what orientation u are holding ur phone, swiping down will close the app

even if the app does not support landscape, if you are holding the phone landscape orientation and you swipe down, it will close

if you have updated to PR1.2 you will also notice that when swiping to close (down) the app will darken. this is an indication the app is closing

simply, just remember swiping down is closing... so if you dont want to close, just swipe sideways or up

Husky 2012-03-31 16:13

A bit off topic but I find it impossible to swype up in PR1.2 when the virtual keyboard is visible. At least on my phone.

HtheB 2012-03-31 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by toki (Post 1185428)
even if the app does not support landscape, if you are holding the phone landscape orientation and you swipe down, it will close

Not anymore in PR1.2

It will only close in landscape and portrait. (if you hold it that way)

On PR1.1, it could also close upside down and reverse landscape. (which was a pain in the ***)

toki 2012-04-03 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husky (Post 1186524)
A bit off topic but I find it impossible to swype up in PR1.2 when the virtual keyboard is visible. At least on my phone.

just tap above the keyboard to hide it.. then you can swipe up

chrisp7 2012-04-04 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by toki (Post 1185428)
in general.. no matter what orientation u are holding ur phone, swiping down will close the app

if you have updated to PR1.2 you will also notice that when swiping to close (down) the app will darken. this is an indication the app is closing

simply, just remember swiping down is closing... so if you dont want to close, just swipe sideways or up

Yep.. The issue arises when you dont know if the phone 'thinks' you are holding it horizontally or vertically (could be flat on a desk or in your hand running). Then when you swipe the phone closes the app (annoyingly when you dont want it to).

As mentioned it would be great to have a function where just swiping it down via portrait would close an app.

toki 2012-04-11 23:59

yeh i guess it would be more convenient if it was so..
but im fine with swiping up just incase if i dont know its current orientation... swiping up will never close an app