maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How many all telephony functions disabled phones you own? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99788)

pythoneye2 2017-09-01 21:05

How many all telephony functions disabled phones you own?

N900 hardware seems to die.
I wonder how many maybe fixable n900 are out there? and i miss polling ;)

endsormeans 2017-09-01 21:32

Re: How many all telephony functions disabled phones you own?

ooh! oooh! ooooooh!

I got 1!

Bought it used knowing full well it had "All telephony functions ...blah blah blah..."

Never bothered with attempting any of the questionable fixes ...
As I mentioned already (in another thread) I wanted it to set up a alternative desktop ...with hub...mouse..keyboard and plugged into a 40 inch flat screen..
Lotsa fun...

I have 5 n900's ...
and finally thinking of selling this one...and using another in it's place for a micro workstation...

Sooooo...
That is that...

So where are the hors d'oeuvres ????

I came to this thread 'cause someone said there would be food...

WHAT?
No food????

Dave999 2017-09-01 22:06

0 of course. Either its destroyed completly or fully working. I dont like it half Done.

My n900 is delivered first day of shipment from Nokia store and still fully working with original battary. The case looks pretty used but the screen still looks pretty new. But nowdays I only charge it once a year :D

Expecting the bat going full note 7 on me any year now...

But I do own a couple of fully destoyed phones waiting to.be dismantled and recycled.

Thoke 2017-09-02 09:38

Healing "trauma" with laughter, eh? :D

t-b 2017-09-02 11:10

Tried to reflow 2 of mine with the issue and failed. I seem to have sold one with the issue. Was working at the time I checked, but maybe transportation had killed it.

The oven method killed one (baked it too hot and/or too long). The hot air method fixed one for a brief moment. Probably needed to tweak heat exposure.
Then I just forgot about trying it and bought a bunch of N900's so if it happens again I can just use one of many spares.
I still own two with the issue and killed one, so in total 3 with the problem.

Not sure if any reflowing will fix it permanently, but it would be nice if it did. Especially if someone can provide a method that is not depending on trial and error.

pichlo 2017-09-02 15:05

Your poll is hopelessly skewed. A missing option for "none" gives the false impression that everyone has at least one broken unit. I have three, all working. Two more passed through my hands, both working. So there.

endsormeans 2017-09-02 15:15

If it helps pichlo ..
If you are feeling left out...
I could sell you the one I inherited that has an "all telephony..." issue..
So you can at least join us in the official N900 B.U.R.G. Club ...
( Borked Up Reallll Good )

pythoneye2 2017-09-02 20:38

@pichlo
There is the most entertaining point 7: a story to tell. But honestly i am reliefed that dave didnt expand on how he tortured his devices ;)

biketool 2017-09-02 21:00

I think 4-5, I have never gotten a hot air soldering rig to even try fixing any.
I think a few have been thrown out, and one was gifted as a TV media player to a friend with an analog TV.

Dave999 2017-09-02 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythoneye2 (Post 1533844)
@pichlo
There is the most entertaining point 7: a story to tell. But honestly i am reliefed that dave didnt expand on how he tortured his devices ;)

Well. Here I am again for chapter ll.

Basically I move it up and down from my front pocket over and over again in my pretty tight jeans. And add to that that, the thickness(talking about n900 here) will add some extra pressure for the case of the phone. And to add some extra hostile environment for the devices, they share the pocket with a couple of keys that like to hit the devices whenever possible. but the important stuff is that you use as bunch of tiny screwdrivers and dismantling the devices. Don't use a hammer. And then you are ready to give it away to anyone who have the skill to reuse and create new parts from that...ZzZZZzzZz...

How do you manage to destroy the phone functionality?

BTW I didn't vote. Hope that is OK.
POWER!
Dave out. Clear.