maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   DIY service @ Maemo Summit 2009 ? (proposal) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31694)

aboaboit 2009-09-15 15:58

DIY service @ Maemo Summit 2009 ? (proposal)

It appears that my N810 has joined the ranks of those with an ill-behaving touchscreen but unfortunately it is a second-hand device whose warranty state is yet uncertain.

Even though I've seen the instructions for disassembly, I do not trust myself with such delicate hw and no appropriate tools.

Would it be heresy to ask for some Nokia people to bring a toolbox to the Maemo Summit and setup an informal service desk? Or at least lease them to a group of trusted users?

Any comments?

(posting it here since I don't know whether it is acceptable to edit the Summit page or not)

zerojay 2009-09-15 16:17

Re: DIY service @ Maemo Summit 2009 ? (proposal)

That's a very interesting idea. I love it. Not sure Nokia would be able to bring anything, but I'm sure we could maybe have a volunteer that could help you at some point.

Anyone interested?

Texrat 2009-09-15 16:25

I have some 770 parts I could bring...

qole 2009-09-15 16:53

I'm going to beg Nokia to get a double handful of styluses ... stylii?

I'm sure most of us could use an extra stylus or three for our various devices...

Texrat 2009-09-15 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 327278)
I'm going to beg Nokia to get a double handful of styluses ... stylii?

I'm sure most of us could use an extra stylus or three for our various devices...

Oh dude-- that would be the best party favor! :D

Master of Gizmo 2009-09-15 17:52

Unfortunately the "Maemo on Beagleboard" project is basically dead. Otherwise i'd love to contribute to a maemo hardware hacking workshop. But "just" repairing devices doesn't sound too exciting.

Texrat 2009-09-15 18:07

You could build something funky with the dead 770s I have ... :D

qgil 2009-09-15 18:30

This thread probably fits better in Community.

For what I know, Nokia will send many different profiles to the Summit but none of them actually skilled disassembling devices. Such task, and such tools, belong to the Nokia Care points and the repair experts sitting somewhere in the World.

In a similar way, we don't work in places with plenty of accessories around. I will ask around about styluses of tablets but can't guarantee anything.

aboaboit 2009-09-15 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 327338)
In a similar way, we don't work in places with plenty of accessories around. I will ask around about styluses of tablets but can't guarantee anything.

Yeah, I know accessories and tools are not "dispersed" in the offices (been there, saw that), it was just a wild shot: whatever you can bring (starting from yourself, upwards :-) is fine.

qole 2009-09-15 21:55

Hm. I thought in Espoo, they might have Stylus Trees and
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too
You can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe
In Espoo, Nokia's Hometown.[1]