maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Epic Android Thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61003)

etuoyo 2010-08-24 18:13

The Epic Android Thread

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/s...-teaser-video/

Can someone hurry up and release a meego tablet.

I like the look of 7 inches. Thought it was going to be too big but looks ideal for web browsing lying down in bed.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-24 19:01

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Teaser Video

One word: AWESOME.

This looks like great hardware any way that you slice it. While many of the android tablets look mediocre (at best), this one looks like an incredibly solid offering! I'm looking forward to it, and will be paying attention for September 2nd unveiling.

I'm interested in a MeeGo tablet as well, but I think I'm going to stick with a notebook and Ubuntu for productivity. Having a convenient pick-up-and-use android tablet is sounding very nice (especially if I can root and install debian for a robust CLI), with a bevy of apps/games to choose from.

Of course, my mind isn't made up just yet, and will wait to hear the reviews.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-24 19:37

PSX4Droid + Samsung Galaxy Tab = FUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lfZ...eature=related (galaxy s)

Wow! If I can use my BT headset with a sip client, I'm sold.

Perfect ebook reader, casual surfing device, casual gaming unit. 7" seems perfect.

danramos 2010-08-25 06:01

Agreed. :)

gerbick 2010-08-25 06:12

I'm about to go two up on the Samsung Galaxy S line. This... looks... awesome.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 02:51

I'm honestly surprised that there is not more chatter around this device. Generally in this forum, I find there's either an 'I love it' or 'it sucks next to the n900 because <insert reason>'.

Perhaps this is a device that is so envied, that nobody can justify a valid complaint against it? But as it's not Nokia, can it be that it's similarly not gushed about? Am I poking the hornet's nest?

Right now, a prepaid service in my area offers $7 for 125mb data (lasts one week). This translates to roughly 4-5 hours of SIP talk time (GSM single channel), or a whole lot of SSHing! ;). As I am rarely away from WiFi, this is PERFECT for me when using a 3G tablet like the Galaxy Tab. I need only spend $7 here and there, when I actually need to be mobile, which is admittedly rarely, but a godsend when I actually need it!

It's a drag that, this tablet doesn't do cell calls (assumption), as I still need to carry around a mobile phone when ducking out momentarily. However, my phone is also prepaid and I barely use it so it costs me peanuts per year: ~$40. If it does do cell calls, then it's a no-brainer for me, and it's purchase will be a top priority.

Either way, I'm really, *really* looking forward to this device.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 03:20

Imagine playing these on a 7" device?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKyb...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hDAxK_amVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8OyB...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJCmr...eature=channel

Wow! I wonder if it will be clocked higher than the Galaxy S? :)

Something tells me that it will play these games even smoother with Froyo on the tab. The Dell streak seems to chew through these games at a wonderful clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYvCYsuwV0 (horrible camera, but running at full speed), and the Galaxy Tab will almost certainly outgun it.

geneven 2010-08-26 03:21

See ENDLESS discussion before the release of the N900 saying that a device needs to be POCKETABLE. No one wants 7" except people interested in niche devices like me! Nokia is so lucky to have missed out of the sales that they would have gotten with a reader or another tablet!

debernardis 2010-08-26 04:11

This is exactly what I need for my family - for me I won't abandon the pocketable concept and Maemo/Meego. Depending on how much it costs, I think I am getting one. Of course, if we have a Meego tablet before the end of the year, I'll take that.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 798602)
See ENDLESS discussion before the release of the N900 saying that a device needs to be POCKETABLE. No one wants 7" except people interested in niche devices like me! Nokia is so lucky to have missed out of the sales that they would have gotten with a reader or another tablet!

I think that the 9.7" iPad has shown that there is want for a larger-than-pocketable device. I think Acer (I could be wrong about this) has gone on record in saying that the iPad has eaten into it's netbook sales, which is indicative that it's market penetration has been significant. Weather or not the market will like a 7" Galaxy Tab remains to be seen. However I'm personally very interested!

That said, the Galaxy Tab is positioned quite well. It's a small device -- 7" -- fit for a small bag or a purse, but allows for convenient and comfortable access to online content. While I'm sure you are not going to be banging out any spreadsheets using this device, it's certainly useful for taking in a book, surfing a recipe, playing a quick game (chrono cross anyone?!), or even showing-off some pictures to friends. In this way, it capitalizes on the key characteristics of the N8x0 series, only will likely have a far better experience.

I use my N810 to this day! It's a wonderful companion, although the size, the speed, and the software leave something to be desired. The Galaxy Tab is perfect for me as it will remedy these problems, and add 3G to the mix for mobile access, and a usable rear/front camera. With a debian CLI (chrooted, no doubt), Swype for composing emails, and the wonderfully compliant browser, I'll actually be able to use it for productive work, when on the road. It will also make a nice laptop companion as I'll be able to use it as a reference window, or document viewer to aid me as I work.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 13:42

Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdmAo6EcZBM

Not terribly exciting, but it appears to perform very well!

tso 2010-08-26 13:56

i dunno, unless it comes with android market i suspect it will have a short life.

still, even with market i wont get it, and perhaps no other android device, as one needs a gmail account just to access free apps.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 14:07

Hopefully with samsung opening the galaxy drivers (not sure which ones) we will see interesting flavours of linux on these devices by/for tech enthusiasts. I'm sure that a device like this would work wonderfully well with MeeGo, or ubuntu netbook!

I'll likely stick with Android, as I don't personally mind the gmail requirement (if indeed you need it -- eg. you can 'sideload' apps on many android devices), and do not want to spend a lot of time tinkering.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming Android3 'Gingerbread'. As it specifically addresses interface design and tablet considerations, it will likely be better suited tablet like devices. I'm really hoping for GPU acceleration in apps, especially in the web browser. Ultra-smooth scrolling is oh-so-nice!

tushyd 2010-08-26 14:20

Proprietary connector, FAIL

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushyd (Post 799100)

Really? So if you met a beautiful, intelligent, Victoria's Secret model, that you had a lot of fun with, liked you a lot, and would make a wonderful mother.... but she needed a knee brace to exercise (or some other single point of comparison), you would completely reject her? Seriously?

How can a person focus on one tiny characteristic and make their mind up so completely based on it?

While the proprietary connector may be annoying for some, there are far more endearing characteristics that should win it favour. Certainly I've made a LOT more compromises with every other product I've owned, including my Nokia N810.

tushyd 2010-08-26 15:26

Wow I wasn't expecting someone to get so upset about it. I was just merely pointing out the fact that not having standardized connectors is a big fail (in my book of course).

I want my new devices to play well with existing devices, chargers and cables. And I think a lot of people want that too.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great device, but I don't support proprietary ports. It's just a personal thing, I'm not saying that you should feel that way as well.

But your comparison with a Victoria's Secret model is hilarious. Now if it were a Victoria's Secret model who was a great mother and I had fun with, but required an adapter for my penis, I think that could be a deal breaker.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-26 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushyd (Post 799168)
Wow I wasn't expecting someone to get so upset about it. I was just merely pointing out the fact that not having standardized connectors is a big fail (in my book of course).

I want my new devices to play well with existing devices, chargers and cables. And I think a lot of people want that too.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great device, but I don't support proprietary ports. It's just a personal thing, I'm not saying that you should feel that way as well.

But your comparison with a Victoria's Secret model is hilarious. Now if it were a Victoria's Secret model who was a great mother and I had fun with, but required an adapter for my penis, I think that could be a deal breaker.

Trust me, I'm not upset! Sadly it sometimes comes across this way when I type (I should modify my tact). But really, I'm a pretty gentle soul.

Hahah.. +1 re: the victoria secret penis adapter. I'd probably still do it.. Man are those models fun to look at!

nilchak 2010-08-26 17:40

Wow, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Victoria's Secret models and penis adaptors - boy I sure am lining up for THIS tablet release. :-)

But seriously I am very much interested - only thing is I would much prefer the MeeGo Tablet experience. It has something new and fresh about it rather than this Android look and feel.

The tablet itself is just right - correct size, great hardware and all that. Its what I would want with Meego preferably instead of the N9.
Oh yes - I would want just a wifi only model which I can tether with my N900 for 3G access. Can't justify 2 3G devices on me at the same time.

danramos 2010-08-27 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 798602)

Because Nokia has done such a great job of listening to their customers, engineers and developers, right? Diversity of product? What's THAT jibba-jabba?

Rebski 2010-08-27 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tushyd (Post 799100)

That's what was said about the Dell Streak too but it turns out to be PDMI.

From the photo I have seen the Samsung could well be the same.

OK so PDMI is not a well known standard but it is a standard nonetheless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

danramos 2010-08-28 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebski (Post 800101)
That's what was said about the Dell Streak too but it turns out to be PDMI.

From the photo I have seen the Samsung could well be the same.

OK so PDMI is not a well known standard but it is a standard nonetheless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

Wow! That's an incredibly useful port! I had never heard of this port type before but I'm immediately in favor of it. Especially as a universal base/stand port for small devices!

tso 2010-08-28 12:03

the port seems to be fairly recent (feb. 2010 says the wiki article).

would be nice if it becomes somewhat standard for all kinds of portable devices (tho i wonder about the choice of displayport over hdmi).

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-28 18:15

This is the first I'm learning about it as well! I agree, it seems like a great idea.

The iPhone/iPad line has seen a tremendous amount of peripheral support, thanks to it's all encompassing connector. If the industry rallies behind this connector, then devices like the Galaxy Tab will enjoy the same peripheral support (some of which are genuinely useful, IMO). It's great to hear that the Dell Streak is using it, and the Galaxy Tab may be next.

On the other hand, I'm a *big* fan of wireless, but as the port supplies power and wireless power isn't as of yet widespread, the PDMI port seems like a great alternative. I suspect a very high-bandwidth close-proximity wireless data/power spec and chipset would have to surface before this is considered realistic, and it is most certainly some time before that happens.

PDMI seems like a great addition! Thanks for pointing it out!

I'll be even *more* stoked when Intel's LightPeak surfaces as an ultra-high bandwidth connector for portable/fixed devices. Initial implementations reached 10Gbs, and claimed speeds are up to 100Gbs! Either speed is more than enough to run many, many, many uncompressed HD streams simultaneously. This is enough to meet the data demands of any current mobile technology, and should be the last connector that's needed (in a long time) for mobile devices. The best part is that it's optical, so the connector can remain unchanged while the speed continues to improve.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-28 18:49

I just read this on the Lightpeak wiki page:

Quote:

"In any event, Intel has suggested that systems using Light Peak are already being designed, and there are rumors that Apple intends to introduce Light Peak-equipped systems in Q4 of 2010.[18] In addition to the demonstrated system, Intel has also announced that they will introduce a smaller low-power version for portable devices in 2011. They have also stated that the system will allow future expansion to 100 Gbps throughput.[20]"
If this is accurate, it looks as though Apple will be among the first to market with lightpeak in their upcoming devices. This is a smart move, and once again, one that the industry should take notice of. Lightpeak will dramatically shrink the connector and increase the speed. Four or five tiny LP ports should be enough for a laptop, and one for a mobile. Even more crazy is a single port may be arranged in a daisy chain and still provide ample bandwidth to multiple devices!

In addition, intel is said to be bundling copper cables along with the optical cable to make it possible for power transfer. This will obsolete (spec wise anyway) USB/HDMI/DisplayPort/PDMI/eSATA/etc overnight. The connector is ultra-low power, and the chipset footprint is tiny.

One cable to rule them all!

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-28 18:55

Ok, I'll stop with the Light peak, but what makes this even MORE interesting, is using this system for intra-bus communication. If it can be made small enough, and cheap enough, it can dramatically shrink electronic sizes with only a few islands of chips, and LP interconnects between them. Sounds like my kind of magic.

Exciting.

tso 2010-08-28 23:01

while light peak is technically interesting, i worry about intel using it as leverage to control the direction of the tech world. They did try to get a 1 year exclucive on usb3 host chips for instance.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 00:36

My guess is that bids to control the technology will potentially hurt its rate of adoption unless intel plans to price it low and fully meet demand. If they do, then they secure a position of incredible influence (for better or worse) and decrease competitive pressures.

I'm not sure how I feel.

wmarone 2010-08-29 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 800892)
If this is accurate, it looks as though Apple will be among the first to market with lightpeak in their upcoming devices. This is a smart move, and once again, one that the industry should take notice of.

This is because Intel enjoys using Apple as a showcase for their newest consumer-level technologies. This is also why no Intel chipset supports USB 3.0 (which is also why no Apple system has USB 3.0.) This does not make Apple smart, simply a willing guinea pig for a likely successful experiment.

Quote:

Lightpeak will dramatically shrink the connector
The connector shares form factor with USB (beyond the Intel demo) IIRC, giving support for older USB devices along with newer LP devices.

Quote:

The connector is ultra-low power, and the chipset footprint is tiny.
Err, I think you mean the -chipset- has a tiny footprint (which is unremarkable,) and the connector -might- for endpoint LP devices.

Believe me, I can't wait to see what this does for interconnects, but I'll be waiting for Linux/Windows support and a PCIe card. I've bought one mac, and I'm good for another, well, long long while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 801016)
while light peak is technically interesting, i worry about intel using it as leverage to control the direction of the tech world. They did try to get a 1 year exclucive on usb3 host chips for instance.

I don't recall that at all. I -do- recall AMD and some 3rd parties getting fussy about the spec, though. Don't forget that Intel are basically the lead design on pretty much every major PC bus in use today (USB, PCI-Express) and hold huge amounts of leverage within them, and Light Peak changes nothing with respect to that. They'll play nice regardless though, lest the EU and DoJ come down on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 801063)
My guess is that bids to control the technology will potentially hurt its rate of adoption unless intel plans to price it low and fully meet demand.

Intel will integrate it into their chipsets. They'll probably also release a spec, like with USB, so 3rd party vendors can create their own interfaces.

PathFinder@9GS 2010-08-29 07:38

I just saw the video , well I certainly don't like the idea of having a screen that is 7 ' big and a phone for which I would have to get a backpack to carry around.
I agree that the specs are awesome but still... that big a phone??

Rebski 2010-08-29 10:52

I already have a 7” tablet, the SmartQ 7, and that is definitely not pocketable. Even if the Samsung proves to be slightly lighter and slimmer, there is no getting round the 7” screen length and width. So a bag is necessary.

The limit of pocketability has been reached with the 5” Dell Streak.
While the 7” screen is preferable to the 5”, the trade off to be faced is the choice between pocket feasible or bag only.

Having said that, don’t underestimate the capability of the 5” screen. Contrary to opinions that I have seen posted, it really is much more useful that the 4.3” screen on the N800.

Be that as it may, the Samsung is shaping up such that I just want one. My Dell Streak will make the purchase much harder to justify. Techno lust tends to defy logic so who knows.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 801204)
This is because Intel enjoys using Apple as a showcase for their newest consumer-level technologies. This is also why no Intel chipset supports USB 3.0 (which is also why no Apple system has USB 3.0.) This does not make Apple smart, simply a willing guinea pig for a likely successful experiment.

Arguably, that makes them smart ;). It's hard to fault a company that has good relations and a good eye for likely successful experiments. It's almost surprising how some companies seem to forgo opportunity and not for lack of effort.

Thanks for the other insights. It would be extremely interesting if LP used USB-style connectors.

I think it can be safely said that LP is game changing, if it indeed lives up to claims. A tech like this in the server-room would alter the architecture of server configurations dramatically. There could be far less cables (a benefit in itself), and a greater segmentation of components.

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 16:35

More pictures of the Galaxy Tab have 'leaked'. These ones are interesting, as the proportions of the icons/widgets in relation to the display seem to suggest a higher res than the 800x480 phone beside it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/29/s...-teasing-cdma/

I think 7" would be utter perfection for a tablet. Small enough to be very portable (albeit not pocketable -- less of a concern for me), but large enough to be comfortable for casual use. Just like Rebski said, I would intuit that there would be a HUGE difference in usability with the additional 3" over a smartphone.

tso 2010-08-29 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 801545)
Arguably, that makes them smart ;). It's hard to fault a company that has good relations and a good eye for likely successful experiments. It's almost surprising how some companies seem to forgo opportunity and not for lack of effort.

actually, i think apple came to intel with the basic definition of light peak. Partially based on apple's earlier work on firewire.

tso 2010-08-29 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarone (Post 801204)
I don't recall that at all. I -do- recall AMD and some 3rd parties getting fussy about the spec, though. Don't forget that Intel are basically the lead design on pretty much every major PC bus in use today (USB, PCI-Express) and hold huge amounts of leverage within them, and Light Peak changes nothing with respect to that. They'll play nice regardless though, lest the EU and DoJ come down on them.

seems your memory may be better then mine:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-99...?tag=mncol;txt

still, given the speed that the tech world moves at, 6-9 months delay could mean a lot. But then this was two years ago, and it got resolved. but it seems to be a trend that when the economy goes south, the tech world goes vertical (stack).

tso 2010-08-29 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 801551)
More pictures of the Galaxy Tab have 'leaked'. These ones are interesting, as the proportions of the icons/widgets in relation to the display seem to suggest a higher res than the 800x480 phone beside it.

dunno, android treats screens in a somewhat peculiar way.

each device have to report its resolution in one of 3 groups, ldpi, mdpi or hdpi. This then is used by programs to decide how large the graphical elements should be.

problem is that hdpi only cover screens 3.5-4 inches with resolution around 800x480. actually, the largest physical screen defined for these groups are 5.8 inches. But there is no consideration for a resolution above 854x480 (and the definition is written as if the screens are primarily used in portrait, so perhaps i should have written 480x854), making physically large screens fall within the mdpi group.

here is a blog post on the topic, from the guy that set up andappstore:
http://blog.alsutton.com/2010/07/03/...nd-mdpi-large/

Capt'n Corrupt 2010-08-29 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 801571)
dunno, android treats screens in a somewhat peculiar way.

each device have to report its resolution in one of 3 groups, ldpi, mdpi or hdpi. This then is used by programs to decide how large the graphical elements should be.

problem is that hdpi only cover screens 3.5-4 inches with resolution around 800x480. actually, the largest physical screen defined for these groups are 5.8 inches. But there is no consideration for a resolution above 854x480 (and the definition is written as if the screens are primarily used in portrait, so perhaps i should have written 480x854), making physically large screens fall within the mdpi group.

here is a blog post on the topic, from the guy that set up andappstore:
http://blog.alsutton.com/2010/07/03/...nd-mdpi-large/

Ah, that's right! I recall reading that before. Anyway, I suspect we'll know for certain in 3 days.

Dave999 2010-08-29 17:18

Looks great. How do you carry this thing?

bugelrex 2010-08-29 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt (Post 801551)
I think 7" would be utter perfection for a tablet. Small enough to be very portable (albeit not pocketable -- less of a concern for me), but large enough to be comfortable for casual use. Just like Rebski said, I would intuit that there would be a HUGE difference in usability with the additional 3" over a smartphone.

i have the sony ereader prs900 which has 7.1 inch screen, it actually can squueze into the back jean pocket and includes the built in cover.

7 inch slim tablets with minimum bezel can fit into the back jean pocket.. may start to consider going back to dumbphone+tablet if the battery life is good enough

tso 2010-08-29 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 801577)
Looks great. How do you carry this thing?

murse. (freakin 10 character limit!)

geneven 2010-08-29 18:19

When these things get so big (I want one!) I always think the phone component itself should be detachable for holding to your ear.