maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I'm Done, Good Riddance Nokia (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70471)

jeffsf 2011-02-28 21:18

I'm Done, Good Riddance Nokia

Tired of using a N900 that:
  • Is so poor at multitasking that I can't answer the phone when it rings
  • Relies on 3rd-party apps for key features like MMS, iSync, bluetooth, and distinctive ring tones
  • Often fails to charge when the OEM charger cord is plugged in
  • Won't charge off many USB power adapters without a hacked cable
  • Discharges in under 6 hours during the day
  • Doesn't have decent non-weenie apps save for Angry Birds
  • Maps still suck and can't dial numbers
  • Browser crashes and can't dial numbers

Samsung Galaxy S 4G coming tomorrow. Advantages? Too many to list. Yes, it has ssh and rsync. Major disadvantages?
  • Can't record the audio output, just the microphone
  • Annoyingly tied to Google for sync (no iSync)
  • No hardware keyboard

I gave it a year and then some. PM if you want to buy a N900 that overclocks to 1000 MHz. If I want an "Internet tablet" I'll buy a second-generation iPad on Wednesday.

thumbs 2011-02-28 21:27

Re: I'm Done, Good Riddance Nokia

my n900 has never had any problems that you mention,,but maybe thats because i dont overclock to 1000mhz...

wmarone 2011-02-28 21:28

Good to see people insulting other forum goers as "nerds."

festivalnut 2011-02-28 21:33

mine dont have they problems since i oc'd to 1000, cant remember the last time i missed a call because of lag. the multitasking is awesome, good luck with androids "multitasking" :/ battery usage depends how hard you hammer it as with any phone. ine charges fine (maybe your usb is loose? admittedly that is a bit of a n900 specific issue) the browser is far superior to android imho, the "weenieness" of the apps is a personal opinion, i like the ones i have very much.

droitwichgas 2011-02-28 21:35

Given the tone of your email and the problems you appear to have I doubt you will have many satisfied N900 owners rushing to buy your phone as it does not sound like the best example around!

Perhaps a simple "I have a N900 for sale" may of of found more buyers/got you a better price?

With the recent CSSU develpments I have no similar issues with my unclocked N900.

Texrat 2011-02-28 21:42

I should have opened a virtual popcorn stand a long time ago...

Bazza 2011-02-28 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsf (Post 957594)
Tired of using a N900 that:
  • Is so poor at multitasking that I can't answer the phone when it rings
  • Relies on 3rd-party apps for key features like MMS, iSync, bluetooth, and distinctive ring tones
  • Often fails to charge when the OEM charger cord is plugged in
  • Won't charge off many USB power adapters without a hacked cable
  • Discharges in under 6 hours during the day
  • Doesn't have decent non-weenie apps save for Angry Birds
  • Maps still suck and can't dial numbers
  • Browser crashes and can't dial numbers

Are you still using pr1.1???????? :D:D:D

Quote:

Samsung Galaxy S 4G coming tomorrow. Advantages? Too many to list. Yes, it has ssh and rsync. Major disadvantages?
  • Can't record the audio output, just the microphone
  • Annoyingly tied to Google for sync (no iSync)
  • No hardware keyboard

You will be bored within a week (although the screen is nice)

jeffsf 2011-02-28 21:55

Yes, it is patched to 20.2010.36-2.002

Yes, it has problems even if using the stock (non-oc) kernel. I only went oc to see if that would resolve the responsivity problems. Moving to 750, 800, 900, or 1000 didn't help any. The screen responds as if it's on 'ludes as soon as there are a couple browser windows open.

Yes, I've reflashed.

Yes, I'm going to miss having shell access and scripting, but I need a functional phone that I can leave a browser window open and not have to wait 10-30 seconds for the phone to respond to the touch screen.

Yes, I do enjoy a lot of the ported-from-Linux apps, but I'll trade them for a functional phone.

qw3rty 2011-02-28 21:59

Sounds like you have a faulty USB port. I understand your frustration, I had the same charging problems, but I sent it to Nokia and they fixed it up for free.

gazza_d 2011-02-28 21:59

see yer, wouldn't want to be yer....