maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   upgrade Mozila Firefox for N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91738)

velokin 2013-11-06 21:13

upgrade Mozila Firefox for N800

Hi guys,
Youtube is kindly warning me that they will not anymore support
my nice N800 tablet's Mozila firefox brouser- kindly please let me know how can I upgrade it . Also quote me some suitable Media player so as to watch TV on my tablet. Many thanks

velokin 2013-12-07 19:08

Re: upgrade Mozila Firefox for N800

...but nobody to answer me so far....

endsormeans 2013-12-07 20:36

Sorry....Not alot of people this end of the pool at the moment.... my attention (as well as many others I'm sure ) has been elsewhere or I would have thrown some ideas your way...there is a flash workaround which may be of help with using pages and sites ..... You could use mythtv....you could try streaming from your laptop/desktop...feeds and podcasting is one thing I enjoy....for the most part I transcode alot of film and shows I wish to watch.... ...there is a list either in n800, n810 or in the OS2008 forum...(can't remem. which) that mentions some websites that stream film and live stuff well.....It is a no-thought/work option if you don't want to have to mess with transcoding or the hassle of finding and enabling feeds and casts......the lists may possibly have old or outdated links by now...but it most definitely would be worth checking out....Unless you beat me to it....Over the next couple of days I'll dig around for those particular posts see what I can find.
As far as firefox goes...there is the possibility of workarounds...hacks...updating the browser isn't going to happen....there simply isn't enough people who use the n800 for the firefox team to warrant the time and funds....fooling the browser or using a diff browser or application....ORB...or ..worldtv99 perhaps...with kmplayer is an alternative...there is also the possibility of utilizing turbo easy debian and running say...iceweasel or a program through it that would allow you to use youtube as well as many other programs for that matter.

Update:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=streaming post 4 by Addison concerns downloading/transcoding method of youtube vids easy-peasy

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=12496
2007 post but I believe sites like wwitv , favchannels.com still function fine
and there are many similar.....just a few suggestions ...
as far as current streaming media...lately....haven't played around with much shy of streaming from my laptop...vid and audio podcasts of shows and news...streamtuner and fm radio...
explore and I'm sure you'll find some cool stuff.

velokin 2013-12-14 16:10

Thank you very much, Sorry to trouble u . It seems there are only few people interested in N800, although its real privileagues before some newer tablets. As I am not that strong in this materia
I expected to find a link or two to upload, but...
As for TV99 I have it but it streams me only Skynews. I have also Canola but my device can not play clips from YouTube from it.
best regards and nice weekend !

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1393456)
Sorry....Not alot of people this end of the pool at the moment.... my attention (as well as many others I'm sure ) has been elsewhere or I would have thrown some ideas your way...there is a flash workaround which may be of help with using pages and sites ..... You could use mythtv....you could try streaming from your laptop/desktop...feeds and podcasting is one thing I enjoy....for the most part I transcode alot of film and shows I wish to watch.... ...there is a list either in n800, n810 or in the OS2008 forum...(can't remem. which) that mentions some websites that stream film and live stuff well.....It is a no-thought/work option if you don't want to have to mess with transcoding or the hassle of finding and enabling feeds and casts......the lists may possibly have old or outdated links by now...but it most definitely would be worth checking out....Unless you beat me to it....Over the next couple of days I'll dig around for those particular posts see what I can find.
As far as firefox goes...there is the possibility of workarounds...hacks...updating the browser isn't going to happen....there simply isn't enough people who use the n800 for the firefox team to warrant the time and funds....fooling the browser or using a diff browser or application....ORB...or ..worldtv99 perhaps...with kmplayer is an alternative...there is also the possibility of utilizing turbo easy debian and running say...iceweasel or a program through it that would allow you to use youtube as well as many other programs for that matter.

Update:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=streaming post 4 by Addison concerns downloading/transcoding method of youtube vids easy-peasy

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=12496
2007 post but I believe sites like wwitv , favchannels.com still function fine
and there are many similar.....just a few suggestions ...
as far as current streaming media...lately....haven't played around with much shy of streaming from my laptop...vid and audio podcasts of shows and news...streamtuner and fm radio...
explore and I'm sure you'll find some cool stuff.

endsormeans 2013-12-14 18:23

Ach....it's no trouble...really....and I know it may seem like there are not alot of people using the n800...but there are a ton of users...alot don't post all the time or are busy with other projects understandably.
It's the same with the n810 ...both are good affordable models ... good for practice IMO for the n900 and neo900 and a great deal of focus is right now on the neo900 (n900 successor) .
I'll sit down tonight and do some hunting for you and see how we can get some fun beaten into your n800

Update: Hmm cursory run through using stock browser for youtube of course results in soon discontinued service for youtube....same statement or unusable with unaltered epiphany, iceweasel, opera, midori, or tear browsers....haven't tried any others yet....haven't used flash tweaker yet ....better results may happen with it's use. I'll see if that works any better. I do suggest streaming via your computer or using Addisons method of downloading-transcoding (haven't done it lately...hopefully it still works) until I or someone else comes up with something.
yours- EorM

velokin 2013-12-15 18:00

Thank you so much, but I feel slightly unconfotable making you loose your time... Hopefully it will help also other people using this Great N800 !
best, NIKOLaykolEV

endsormeans 2013-12-16 00:55

No worries man :D It isn't a case of pulling me away from anything.
I enjoy the devices too much.
I do suggest streaming from a computer using say ... tversity (if the spelling is correct) on it... to your nokia...

definitely check out Addisons posts concerning downloading-transcoding youtube vids...even write him for suggestions too...He's a good egg .

And check out the transcoding methods I've posted and there are others you may or may not like...check 'em out too. Throw up some updates here every now and again....I'll keep my eyes pealed here...while l plug away at possible working options .
yours- EorM

Update: Hey man...here is a quote from Addison from this year pertaining to an easy-peasy method of download-transcoding youtube vids very quick and easy ...

"I've been using this site quite extensively lately for watching YouTube tv shows.

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

It works best using Tear web browser.

Transcode to AVI, also set it to 768 kbps and keep the 360P default setting.

Make sure to uncheck their new Auto Mode feature.

I've seen this site download a 23 minute show in two seconds and then transcode it in under 2 minutes after that.

Once it's finished, download the converted file.

For Mplayer to be at it's best, you'll need to terminate any running programs, and most likely, even go offline."

That appears to be the best way of viewing youtube that bypasses the whole "mozilla soon to be unsupported issue" ....As long as you can use a browser(such as tear...there may be other browsers that can pull it off...not sure there...so my best suggestion would be to hit Addison up for more details...he would know best) to surf-view- and mark the urls on youtube...you should be able to use this with fab results. Out of curiosity I will looky-loo and dig around some more as well.

velokin 2013-12-17 21:03

Thank you very very much Endsormeans, I will try your advices and tell you if any result!
best

endsormeans 2013-12-18 06:37

Aw shucks Velokin
no worries man... glad to try to help :D

I just finished messing around with Addisons version.... These more recent posts

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=browser

explain the difficulty with youtube and the n810/800 more fully and offer a round-about solution. I think that considering the lack of maintainers in the industry for the n810/800 for example the mozilla firefox for your n800 not being viable in the future is proof of that. The Android, IPhone, and M$ platforms having more numbers of end users means the demand is obvious. In the future...my best guess would be that the eventual eroding of most of the browsers for the n800/810 will result in severely crippled or inoperative browsers. The mountain of fixes piling up that will need to be done and most of them are impossible to accomplish even with manpower ....it isn't just writing software to make a new browser...even fix an old one...it's making it work compatibly with the (I hate using this word) "older" hardware and o.s. of the n810/800 (even though it isn't very old at all..it's just the insane pace of change with tech that is the madness at work here.
for example did you see the latest statements from scientists concerning the new standard for displays? 4000+ pixels on a display? They think it ridiculous since the human eye cannot "physically" process past it...so it is truly wasted tech...and now they speak of the "quantum dot" for tv's and devices...going a step further than the 4000+...it makes anything shown on it visually look REAL...very interesting...the display revolution will I believe ..end there...the next step is direct interface with the brain...and I am soooo not interested in that....I do not need someone trying to hack my brain...check out Futurama's "Eyephone" episode ....hehe......enough of this ...back to topic...) n800/810 and the ever altering demands by websites for the latest methods. ...to sum it up.... it will eventually topple alot of the n810/800 browsers...
Backporting from fremantle to diablo is one of the best hopes as far as options go....
Then possible alternate operating systems such as easy debian turbo...even archlinux on arm (ALARM) (it can be cross compiled for the n800...not alot of details or data on it) ...these alternate platforms have a better chance of providing not just an operating system for the devices...but more current ....a browser enviroment more perpetually flexible, adaptable, and which is maintained...fooling the web with a different operating system entirely on your n800 or chrooting and keeping both maemo and an alternate or multiples on sd card....not too hard really...and convenient too with the n800's 2 micro card slots...

So I hate to say it but the steam-roller of advancement is barreling down..hacking and puzzling through stuff is alot of fun..fixing and finding ever dwindling alternate options is not.
Browsers and youtube aside...My next best suggestion is use your desktop/laptop ....stream content from it to your n800...works for me....Or download whatever you want...use easy-peasy mediacoder and my n810/800 preset....works everytime....do batch conversions and away you go.....let her run....then either stream them from your comp. to your n800 or just put em on sd cards. I have a ton of my favourite shows/films transcoded this way.....works for me. or use handbrake...or whatever you find easiest and bug-proof.....best alternative at this point for what you need until a good backport or other option comes around is.... don't fight the incoming tide....use the tech (laptop/desktop) at your disposal to facilitate a non-n800 (impossible) format into one that is n800 friendly....

velokin 2013-12-28 20:54

Thank you for your help!
Merry Xmas and Very Happy New Year to you and the other guys!
All the best

velokin 2014-01-24 09:33

Hello Endsormeans,
Hope you are OK. Trying to experiment on my N800 incidentaly I blocked it.
Then I reflashed it, installed the Camera, Skype, but when I tried to reinstall
the Opera browser - the machine said unable to install it due lack of some libs such as libgcc, libdbus etc.. I went to Gronmeyer repositories for N800,
but althogh I reinstalled all, there is no sign of the libs I need. Please let me know hoe to install them and from where? Thanks ins advace

endsormeans 2014-01-24 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1408613)
Hello Endsormeans,
Hope you are OK. Trying to experiment on my N800 incidentaly I blocked it.
Then I reflashed it, installed the Camera, Skype, but when I tried to reinstall
the Opera browser - the machine said unable to install it due lack of some libs such as libgcc, libdbus etc.. I went to Gronmeyer repositories for N800,
but althogh I reinstalled all, there is no sign of the libs I need. Please let me know hoe to install them and from where? Thanks ins advace

Hey Man :D
Ya I'm good...you however seem to be having more fun than me . :D
How's this...I'll post what I "think" may be the answer in a fresh post with a title so people can find it more easily once it is buried by newer posts...hope it helps some.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92502

velokin 2014-01-31 09:04

Hi Endsormeans,
Thanks or your detailed directions. Unfotunately I an not aware of
moast of things there ((thats why I have much fun there (atleast I am ambitious)) such as:
1. This ASUI page shall I download all the files in it?
2. My N800 can't read and accept files extentions such as dll, gz,
nrd etc..is there kind of file extention converter?
3. What is this "gainroot" meaning? As you say may be I have it already, and last
4 from where can I download this new version of DIABLO-TURBO
provided I have the older version installed? Shall it reload authomati
cally?
Sorry for these questions, but hope that you will send some short simple answers. Thanks again
best, velokin

endsormeans 2014-01-31 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1409930)
Hi Endsormeans,
Thanks or your detailed directions. Unfotunately I an not aware of
moast of things there ((thats why I have much fun there (atleast I am ambitious)) such as:
1. This ASUI page shall I download all the files in it?
2. My N800 can't read and accept files extentions such as dll, gz,
nrd etc..is there kind of file extention converter?
3. What is this "gainroot" meaning? As you say may be I have it already, and last
4 from where can I download this new version of DIABLO-TURBO
provided I have the older version installed? Shall it reload authomati
cally?
Sorry for these questions, but hope that you will send some short simple answers. Thanks again
best, velokin

Hey man! glad to hear from you. Ah ...goin' for a dip nearer the deep end of the pool I see :) . Good.
1- the green buttons and the highlit "diablo-turbo kernel" link in the top section of the page ( http://asui.garage.maemo.org/download.html ) are what you need..As far as the "Diablo/SDK Tools" button on the page...you shouldn't have to worry about it...unless you get that specific lib issue.. Older versions below this section you don't need.
2- dll ...etc file extensions shouldn't be an issue at this point.
disregard them for the moment...ok?
3- "gainroot".."root"...hell the App manager calls it "rootsh".. but once installed it is called "xterm" on your n800...the same program...just goes by many names....an ESSENTIAL utility...it enables you to do alot to your n800 that otherwise you could not. Once you start up the App Manager ...inside the app manager you need to enable the 1 disabled repository located by opening the title up at the top of your n800 "APP MANAGER" it is a dropdown.
Located in the dropdown box is a section called "tools" click on it and a submenu "Add/Remove Repositories" is there...click on it. It will open the Repo Manager.....you will find 1...(the only ...in fact)....greyed-out... disabled repo....click on it and "enable"....close the window...let the App Manager do it's thing (ALWAYS..remem. to let it do it's thing...for later on the more repos you add...the longer it will need to do it's thing ...so patience at that point...but at this point it should respond relatively quick...it is just 1 repo more...later it will be 64...so then it will need the time.) So once the App Manager has updated itself that blue progression bar will be gone...lists of App categories or their contents may still need a moment to respond...no worries...then open "All" and you should see quite a few more repos than before (this is nothing compared to what you get after gronmayer's repo list :) ) ...scroll down until you see a program called "rootsh"...that is root...gainroot...or as the nokia calls it once installed ..."x terminal" .....so...Install the darn thing already :D
4- In the top section ( http://asui.garage.maemo.org/download.html )...there are the links you need..so ...
ROOT ASUI and CSSU ....you have the diablo-turbo prerequisites met..Or better have :) . They will mention again what they are and where they are .specifically...
ALL the direct instructions are right here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69740

(FROM THE GET-GO .... I SUGGEST INSTALLING OR ENABLING NOTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THAT 1 SPECIFIC REPO FOR ROOT...the ASUI...AND CSSU.upgrades ....IN OTHER WORDS ...TO MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR YOU....DO A FRESH CLEAN REFLASH 1st....THEN INSTALL/ENABLE ONLY WHAT IS REQUIRED ....THEN DIABLO-TURBO....it makes trouble shooting easier...fewer probs and conflicts....etc etc...THEN when you are ALL done ...install anything that pleases you.)

Follow .... To the letter...the instructions on the diablo-turbo linked page.... In fact ...increase page size on your comp so you can read it clearly. since when in "root" every mistake, omission, misplaced space... has a consequence. Worst case...you'll have to reflash until you get it right. Good practice anyway. :D

By the time you are done trying to get diablo-turbo on...you will be able to go from Nokia "stock" state to Diablo-Turbo in minutes. hehe :) you'll be a pro at it.
Think of it as a puzzle that must be solved if you want the prize...the prize being the ability to have alot more on your device than you can imagine..do alot more than before...and make you even more curious as to what you can do next....As well it will make you well-nigh fearless :D ...You'll realize at this point that you REALLY do have complete control of your device.(cool)..and that it is hard to REALLY break it.(uber-cool)
If at any point my help just doesn't seem to help...that's cool...eventually you will get it..It'll come to you like a eureka :D .....Think you can't do it?....You don't solve it?...well...You don't get the prize :D
..THAT makes it intriguing and fun...

velokin 2014-01-31 14:27

Many thanks, Endsormeans - I will try my best to folow your new instructions until I get the rize as you say, Thank you man again !
best, velokin

endsormeans 2014-01-31 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1409981)
Many thanks, Endsormeans - I will try my best to folow your new instructions until I get the rize as you say, Thank you man again !
best, velokin

O course man :D
above all....have fun

velokin 2014-02-01 15:03

Hi Endsormean again,
I reached end of point 3 of your instructions and installed this rootsh .
Then I searched for the Diablo Turbo-karnel but could not find it neither
in the tools of the upper left dialog box of the App manager , nor in
the Web caqtalogue- Browse installable Applications - All (it comes only
Diablo5 which is not what I need ) . Seems this repo is afraid of me to show up ... Sorry man for troubling you again, Thanks and have a nice w/end, regards

endsormeans 2014-02-01 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1410285)
Hi Endsormean again,
I reached end of point 3 of your instructions and installed this rootsh .
Then I searched for the Diablo Turbo-karnel but could not find it neither
in the tools of the upper left dialog box of the App manager , nor in
the Web caqtalogue- Browse installable Applications - All (it comes only
Diablo5 which is not what I need ) . Seems this repo is afraid of me to show up ... Sorry man for troubling you again, Thanks and have a nice w/end, regards

:D
Alritey then ...go back to #4 point...I amended it to include the links you need. REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

...DID I MENTION ONE OF THE PREREQUISITES AS WELL....
IS A CASE OF BEER.
..YOU MAY WANT A FEW..... XD

Hmmm...I'm pondering the practicality of doing a video tutorial :D

have fun man... :)

velokin 2014-02-03 19:57

Hi Endsormeans,
Last but basic question, please - I reached the page and started to download the separate items of Diablo-karnel- the N800 machine started to download (with pleasure) the files with extention .dev , but could not accept (recognize) those files ending .gz - is there a file extention converter?
Thank you, really
velokin

endsormeans 2014-02-03 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1410705)
Hi Endsormeans,
Last but basic question, please - I reached the page and started to download the separate items of Diablo-karnel- the N800 machine started to download (with pleasure) the files with extention .dev , but could not accept (recognize) those files ending .gz - is there a file extention converter?
Thank you, really
velokin

:D
It's ok man ...way back in the day... it all seemed like greek to me when I 1st went through this.

NO. You don't try to convert them. Just download them.
Easier is :
1- I suggest using your computer to quickly download the pertinent files from the specific diablo turbo page (and remember do not bother with the lower sections concerning obsolete or sources) files and bits you download...then you can save a copy of all those files ...
2- then create a new folder ....name it "dt"

3- put all the files in it....

4- then simply place the "dt" folder (transfer to n800.. that is) on the EXTERNAL sd card.

5- then start x terminal...type sudo gainroot ...follow EXACTLY the instructions for diablo turbo installation...from there.

THE PROCESS USING X TERMINAL RECOGNIZES ALL THOSE FILE EXTENSIONS AND UTILIZES THEM ACCORDINGLY.

DON'T JUST RANDOMLY TRY TO OPEN FILES. USE THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED....
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69740

velokin 2014-02-05 09:15

Hello Endsormeans,
Sorry to trouble you again, man, but seems to me I am seeing the end of the puzzle. I reached point 3/ of your last instructions, but dont know where to start this xterm, ans where exactly to tyope these magic words "sudo gainroot..."even following the other link you gave me. Please help a again
best,
velokin

endsormeans 2014-02-05 09:49

after you have installed "rootsh" from the app manager. simply look at your installed apps on your n800 ...you know...like when you normally go to open and use any old program or game that you have installed...you know the 4 little boxes on the left there? :D..
....just leaf through your installed programs and you should see one called "xterm" or "x terminal" (otherwise known by many as rootsh or root or gainroot) it's a black square icon with a $ sign in it ... tap it...and it will start up....
It should be default auto-installed by the app manager straight into the sub-menu "Utilities" accessed from your on-screen side bar menu buttons...and it should be right in there.

How ya doin' ?
Figure out where I'm talking about yet?

velokin 2014-02-07 14:42

Hi EorM,
I am fine but still fighting until making my N800 friendlier to me - I put all thos files in dt new folder to my Removable Mem card, then open this Xterm, wrote > sudo gainroot .. and waited it to finish its work... Instead it was writtem - Enable RD mode to gain root privileges ..
Please let me know what is this RD meaning, and how to proceed
Hope you are not yet enough fed up with me, thanks and
best, velokin

endsormeans 2014-02-07 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by velokin (Post 1411529)
Hi EorM,
I am fine but still fighting until making my N800 friendlier to me - I put all thos files in dt new folder to my Removable Mem card, then open this Xterm, wrote > sudo gainroot .. and waited it to finish its work... Instead it was writtem - Enable RD mode to gain root privileges ..
Please let me know what is this RD meaning, and how to proceed
Hope you are not yet enough fed up with me, thanks and
best, velokin

you don't do r+d mode ...once you open xterm...type "sudo gainroot"....
you have only just begun! ....when I said "wait for it to finish it's work..."
I meant ALONG the process you must do putting diablo turbo on....be patient with the response time from your n800. THAT is what I meant.
So to recap where you are at... :
1- you enabled the disabled extras repo in the app manager repo. CHECK :D
2- you installed "root priveleges" ie- X Terminal . CHECK :D
3- you installed ASUI and CSSU you followed their specific instructions and both are enabled and CSSU has been installed properly and has updated your n800 to the latest CSSU. (hopefully you have done this) CHECK and CHECK :D
4- Downloaded the Diablo Turbo files and simply placed them in a folder on the external card in a folder simply labeled "dt" . CHECK :D

You are now ready to begin (congrats man! you made it this far! Still got a bit of work yet to do) .
5- Start x terminal.... type sudo gainroot. refer to the exact instructions 3/4 of the way down the post where it says "HOW TO INSTALL" here =

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=944241&postcount=1

in xterm at this point ....after having typed "sudo gainroot"
follow the instructions stated. typing what you see after the ">" symbol EXACTLY everything there is there..at the end of each line of text and before the next ">" hit ENTER. Doesn't get simpler man.
Follow the instructions...ONLY type what is supposed to be typed...stuff in brackets is help reference...etc.

You are doin' good man! :D
And it is no bother ... really. :)
keep me posted.